We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Cards?!? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Conlaw
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Conlaw
Greetings,

I have heard from several sources that Laminated or Glossy business cards are preferred by a lot of perfomers because they are easier to manipulate because they are more slippery (for lack of better terminology - maybe friction resistant would be better?). So I went out and printed up my cards on glossy card stock but I am finding that the cards are actually more difficult to use because they are sticking together even more so than regular card stock. Does anyone else have this problem? If not, what type of card stock do you use? Perhaps I am missing something?

I am using the cards for close design dupe effects (ala Kuffs and Banachek) and some billet work (peeks) so cards that do not stick together would really help facilitate these effects - at least the way I would like to perform them anyway.

Thanks in advance for any input

Conlaw
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2051 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I use laminated cards from postcardpress.com, and I've never had a problem with them. There is a fair amount of friction between the front of one card and the back of the next (enough, in fact, to make an impromptu Invisible Deck-type setup, which offers some interesting possibilities), but this has never been an issue when peeking or doing Bold Business. What sort of problems are you having, specifically?
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
Aarnoud Agricola
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Aarnoud Agricola
I buy my glossy business cards online.
They work fine.
The links is: http://service.bfast.com/bfast/click?bfm......00served
procyonrising
View Profile
Special user
New York
699 Posts

Profile of procyonrising
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 16:25, Quinn wrote:
I use laminated cards from postcardpress.com, and I've never had a problem with them. There is a fair amount of friction between the front of one card and the back of the next (enough, in fact, to make an impromptu Invisible Deck-type setup, which offers some interesting possibilities), but this has never been an issue when peeking or doing Bold Business. What sort of problems are you having, specifically?

Postcard Press makes excellent glossy color cards.
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I noticed the points on why to use glossy cards, - I still am not quite certain why you need them.
Well, of course it might be because of some special sleights you.

Maybe my needs are different than yours.
I use my business cards pretty much for billet changes and peeks like Accidus Novus and such.
My cards are non glossy, first class heavy paper/card board, and I have never have had any problems for with the using my modest moves.
I find them also far better to write on than the glossy cards.

My suggeestion is that you give such cards another try. If you find that they can work for you, you'll avoid all the problems stated above.

Just my two cents

Sven
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1739 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
I would suggest having the cards professionally printed. This not only will make your card look more professional (and believe me it does make a difference) but the quality of the glossy finish is different significantly and will allow for a smoother handling.

George Tait
Conlaw
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of Conlaw
Thanks for the replies.

Here are the main problems I am having. They really are not problems per se, I have just found that the glossy cards I made up are more "sticky" than my regular business cards.

Specifically, during Banacheck's close-up Picture Duplication (PSI Series, vol.1) There is a move that one must make in order to aquire a peek (sorry for being vague but I don't want to expose anything). For me, the less friction between the cards makes it easier for me to wrangle the card into position with minimal efforts.

As far as Bold Business is concerned, I was finding it difficult to spread through the pack of business cards at the end to show their card in the middle because all of the cards are sticking together in a big clump. It is not a huge problem but it interupts my rhythm of the performance.

The main reason I bring this up is that I have heard many people say they prefer the laminated cards. I thought the reason was because they would slide against each other more smoothly and I was experiencing the exact opposite result. I got the impression of the smoother cards from the explanation of "This 'n That" off of Banachek's PSI series DVD.

Thanks again for the suggestions and the replies.

Conlaw
7th_Son
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
437 Posts

Profile of 7th_Son
The only problem with glossy cards is that it is sometimes difficult to write on them with a ballpoint pen, as the ball slides across the card, rather than grips.

You know what I mean.

I like to do a 4 x 4 magic square on the back of my card, using their current age as the total. This ensures that the card is kept.
"Here's to our wives and girlfriends...may they never meet!" - Groucho Marx
Tom Lauten
View Profile
Special user
690 Posts

Profile of Tom Lauten
I have found that a sparing application of traditional fanning powder helps a great deal. You can pretty much wipe it on and then almost totally off (practically buffing them) and the normal cards will glide over each other nicely.
Living at and loving Loch Ness!
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I used to have glossy cards but now use matt finish for a few reasons. First of all the oens I used would not tear, so any kind of billet tearing was out, secondly, as someone already pointed out, they are difficult to write on with some pens.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Business Cards?!? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL