We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for Dr. Daley's Last Trick (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

angpc
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
24 Posts

Profile of angpc
Hi, I was taught this by a friend, but I didn't quite like the patter he used, but as much as I tried I can't think of anything better.
I try not to make it seem as though I'm deceiving the audience, but is there any way I could explain the change in the cards in the spectator's hands?

Thanks!
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2111 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Greg Wilson has a nice handling for this effect on his DoubleTake video. Nice little storyline. Bill Malone has a version on On the Loose Volume 1, and I originally learned it from Easy to Master Card Miracles Vol. 2 by Michael Ammar. Ammar and Malone have a fairly "standard" approach to the effect, while the Wilson makes it more of a routine piece, drawing the effect out. I use both versions, depending on time constraints. The "standard" is great for a quicky impromptu when you only have a minute.

Kevin
Kevin Reylek
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Get a copy of Bill Duncan's "Tubthumping". Therein lies a combination of Daley's Last, the Legend of Wild Bill Hikock, and the Dead Man's Hand. Plays well and quickly. And the rest of the book will make you think, too.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Ollie1235
View Profile
Special user
England
533 Posts

Profile of Ollie1235
Play yourself as the one getting fooled, or ask them where they think most people would say the cards where. the first way they still get to participate but don't feel stupid, and the second way there are not wrong because most people would say that position.

ollie
Phaedrus
View Profile
Loyal user
Mexico City
212 Posts

Profile of Phaedrus
I usually talk about the cards changing the rules of space and time. For space, I do a DL of one of the red cards and have the spec hold a finger over it. Then, I slip what they think is the other red card beneath it while showing the black cards and have the cards switch places. For time, I use an approach similar to Malone's "Back the Way They Were." I pause to let them see the positions of the cards, then let them think I'm putting the black cards under their finger. When I reveal the cards, it's like we went back in time to the moment they saw the cards in their original configuration.
angpc
View Profile
New user
Ithaca, NY
24 Posts

Profile of angpc
I used to pretend that I made a mistake and gave them the other cards instead, but sometimes the spectator really believes that and doesn't realize that the cards had switched places. Smile
Going back in time... that's an interesting thought. I'll think about it. Thanks! Smile
Brad Lancaster
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of Brad Lancaster
If you have ever seen me perform you'd know that I use snappy rhythmic patter for close up. I call this trick "The change places Aces, that's right the aces that change places." Then I go into the routine including the old gag that I switched them, now I'll switch them back. Of course USE aces!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Patter for Dr. Daley's Last Trick (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL