The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Paul Osborne Books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
There are 2 illusion books that I am thinking about getting. I will probably not build any illusions for a while, but I want to start to design them and learn more about building illusions. The 2 books are- Paul Osborne's Classic Illusions Volume 1 and Easy Build Illusions.
I don't like to follow the exact plans, I want to add/sutract certain elements. I want the trick to be personalized and not straight from a book. Which would you recommend for this? How easy/hard are they to build? Are the illusions in the easy build illusions book 'cheap'? Could I make them expensive, such as making them out of wood/ metal?
-Tyler
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Which would you recommend for this?
I personally like Paul Osborne's Classics because there are several versions of the classics to choose from as well as som interesting reading. The classics means these are illusions which have proven themselves to withstand the test of time. They are still effective today as they were in the past. The best of all his books is the black book ($90) on his website because it has so many wonderful illusions to choose from! I wasn't thrilled with the Easy to Build Illusions because I really like the classics, the Black book, and Haunted Illusions.

How easy/hard are they to build?
Because you are asking this question says a lot about your cabinet and woodworking skills. Illuionworks has some good videos to enhance these skills. Can you make a box, can you miter cut, sand and most importantly paint well? Micky Hannes as well as others have some really good information on this as well as Illusionworks videos. There are a variety of new and interesting scratch free surfaces that can be applied. Only you know your woodworking skills. Many of these plans must be made to the "size & Height" of your assistant.

Are the illusions in the easy build illusions book 'cheap'?
Because illusions are expensive to build it has been recommended to build a mini-version so you can make all the mistakes without bearing the learning experience costly mistakes. My first illusion, I built a simple tip over box and failed to measure the door opening and when I tried to get it out it was wider then the opening. When I built a "Fire Engine Bed" for my son, I failed to measure the turning factor in the hallway so it wouldn't fit. I had to saw it in half to get it in the bedroom and tear it apart to get it out when he was too old to sleep in that great looking kid's bed. Illusions are not cheap.

There are Card board box illusions and illusions in Mark Wilson's book that are cheap. A study of this topic is required before attempting to make your own, or at least a skilled carpenter will make a difference. Black Art Skills can reduce the costs of some illusions.

Could I make them expensive, such as making them out of wood/ metal?
You can and should be able to adjust the dimenions and style to fit your needs. Again, I would not recommend doing this unless you have funds to support this expensive habit. You will need a means of storage, and a means of transportation. You need to talk to people like John Bundy & Morgan, (Morgan is on the Café).

I hope this information helps. Now that you are informed of some of the drawbacks, go for it. It is a roller coaster ride with self-fulfilling accomplishments and rewards.

Here's a site that I bookmarked that may help you: Building Illusions
Dennis Michael
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Den hit on a part of Grande Illusion that is ignored until it's usually to late to deal with economically. That is that most props will cost you more for storage and transportation than the prop costs. These just aren't as easy to keep as a gaffed deck of cards.

But get the books and look! Some much eye candy and no place to keep it! If you go for it, go for versatility. It's like adopting a new child!

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
knmagic
View Profile
Elite user
436 Posts

Profile of knmagic
Tyler_Magician,
I have some books that may interest you. Look at this post and PM me if you are interest.
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......78&0
Ken
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
So clearly we need to write the instructions for the Coffee table Asrah, and others
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
massimo
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of massimo
I personally like the Byron Wels "The Grand Illusions of Magic". They are not too detailed, but if you like redesigning and tweaking plans, this is a great start. It might be tough to find but well worth the effort. Mr. Sanders has a great point. If you don't have a large trailer or semi illusions are very expensive to keep and transport.
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I design all of my illusions to break down and pack flat.

Thanks everyone for all your help.

-Tyler
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
How often do you travel with your illusions? Most of the bigger shows transport their illusions assembled, because it cuts down on setup and takedown time. For storage, takedown is a must. Even then, I am storing illusions I haven't used for five years. I have paid more in warehouse rent than I did for the illusions I have left. They won't fit under the bed!
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Paul Osborne Books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL