The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Greed by Daniel Garcia (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
enigmaticmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle
313 Posts

Profile of enigmaticmagic
Ive been thinking about getting this effect for a little while. but I will wait for the dvd. ps. I just got torn 3 days ago. its so insane. its genious. I have been up untuill two in the morning doing it over and over infront of the mirror. I love to watch myself do it.
dg magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston , TX.
350 Posts

Profile of dg magic
Quote:
On 2005-06-05 17:31, sdmmagician wrote:
I have a question about greed that has not been brought up yet. It has been made clear that the bill is gimmicked, however, in the description of the effect on daniel's website, it says, "magically turn a BORROWED 1 dollar bill into a 5..." Do you really borrow the bill in the beginning?

The description on the site was based on the what the web designers saw when I performed this trick at The Magic Castle...i opened with GREED and borrowed a $1 dollar bill and proceded to perform the effect. I didn't right the description and acctually didn't even notice that it said that until I recieved an EXTREMELY rude email from someone. I cant edit my website yet due to the web designers being busy... But so far everyone loves the effect and I love performing it...so if there is any questions aout the effect...please let me know

Daniel Garcia
-Truth is made up of two things... FACT... and the ability to believe it-
sdmmagician
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sdmmagician
So Daniel, does the Greed instruction booklet describe a handling that allows you borrow a bill, and then use that bill (or switch another in) and go into Greed?
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
398 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Greed is good stuff. I recommend it highly. Danny has put together a solid routine. the changes are like a kick to the head. There is a lot of comedy potential too with some solid thought. I use this. watch your angles.
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
You use your own bill. But yes WATCH YOUR ANGLES.

You can have spectators anywhere in front of you.
sdmmagician
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sdmmagician
Thank you for clearing that up discjockey. And could you elaborate a little more on what the issues are with angles? Before you brought it up I hadn't even thought about them.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Well Discjockey, while right in the sense that you use your own bill, you do begin the routine by BORROWING a bill from a spectator. From there, you go into the initial switch and Greed routine. As far as the specs are concerned, the magic is happening with their bill.

As for angles, behind would be the worst (as is for many bill switch routines). Same with the side angles. But, as I think about it, I don't see why you would try performing any bill change routine with spectators in these conditions. The magic happens in front and that is where your management should have the specs viewing. This routine is best fit for Stand Up and Walk Around situations (ie restaurants).

S.Segal
Gaft Card Magic Available here!
JC Wagner In Full Metal Jacket here!
simply Sydney DVD here!
discjockey
View Profile
Elite user
451 Posts

Profile of discjockey
I would agree. My style of performance is a bit more of the impromptu stuff, and I consistantly find spectators on all angles. When doing the changes (I do this one often!) I hold the bill up near my face, and close to my body. This (supposedly) gives everyone a view, and allows a better amount of angles.

The way I actually do the routine is that it is a follow up of Hundy 500. I appearantly "miss" on one bill, have it inspected, and then go into the Greed sequence. Then, obviously, I can go into coin stuff if I want.
sdmmagician
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sdmmagician
Syd, you said that a bill is borrowed and then you go into the "initial switch." Is this switch coverd in the Greed manuscript? What I mean is, are there instructions for a handling of the routine where you start by borrowing a bill?
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Quote:
On 2005-02-11 21:00, S.Segal wrote:
This is a VISUAL looking piece of magic. In effect, a $1 bill is borrowed, changed to $5, then $10, then $20, and finally a "50".... 50 cent piece that is. Each change is VERY visual.

If there is any downside to it (which I do not think it is), the bill is not examinable in any way. But, the routining and psycology built into the effect has the spectator watching with amazement.

If you would like a great bill switch with regular money and TT, check out Danny's "Twisted" from his upcoming DVD's.

S.Segal

Do you know the name of Daniel's new dvds? Are they out yet?
Matt Bartz
View Profile
Loyal user
Gilbert, Arizona
253 Posts

Profile of Matt Bartz
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought they were going to be called The Daniel Garcia Project.

And, No they are not out yet. I believe they are expected out sometime this summer but a release date has not been set.

There is a thread on here somewhere talking a little about them.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Sorry for the delay in answering...

As for the discussion revolving around wether the bill is borrowed or not...

I have seen Danny perform "Greed" mulitple times and at the beginning his does switch out the borrowed bill. It was during these same performances that the designers of his site came up with their write up of the effect. It was my mistake to imply that was the EXACT handling that is taught in the "Greed" manuscript when it is not. The manuscript has you remove a stack of bills from your pocket, remove a single and proceed from there. Anyone interested in the exact way Danny switches out the borrowed bill, look for it on one of his upcoming products. In my opinion, removing a bill from your pocket and proceeding is still very strong especially since your end with the half and it can be examined.

Danny's new DVD's are called "Projects" and should be available by the summer (July - August). I believe there were a few threads talking about them here on the Café.

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Can anyone comment on how Greed compares with Hypno-bill. Is one significantly better than the other? Are they basically the same principle?
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Can you describe the effect of Hypno Bill or point to a direction where a write up may be?

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Hypnobill is a bill switch which, like Greed, uses a gimmicked bill. There's a description and video clip at Murphy's Magic, murphysmagicsupplies.com/video/html/hypnobill.html

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with both effects and can comment on their relative strengths and weaknesses (not including the switch to a half dollar in Greed) -- ease, visual impact, angles, etc. I'd also like to know if the gimmick in each effect is similar.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
Hey Miky... just watched the demo.

I do not own Hypno Bill but will simply comment on what I can gather from the demo and compare it to Greed.

First off, the amount of changes between Hypno Bill and Greed are different. Hypno Bill seems to only change once, while Greed changes 3 times (4 if you include the final change into the 50 cent piece). While I have no clue how the Hypno Bill is constructed, it does look similar to the Greed bill in principle. The changes for both of the routines happen in a "wave" which makes me believe that the same "angle" issue will be present in either. Hypno Bill does have a nice show of the actual bill front and back prior to the change, something Greed does not (unless you borrow the bill).

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
miky
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of miky
Thank you Syd -- a very helpful reply.
sdmmagician
View Profile
New user
31 Posts

Profile of sdmmagician
Thanks very much for your reply, it was very helpful.
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2454 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Here is just a thought. You guys can let me know what you think of this idea. What if we were to combine two great effects, Garcia's greed and Sanders visi-bill. You perform greed as normal up until you go to change it to a 50, then you do Sander's visi-bill switch making it into a real $50 bill and you can hand it out for examination. Good idea/bad idea you tell me. I just figured since the bill is folded exactly as needed for the visi-bill switch, why not end with an examinable $50 bill.
S.Segal
View Profile
Special user
San Diego
949 Posts

Profile of S.Segal
One of the highlights of Danny's routine is how fair and open your hands are at all times. I am not positive how VisiBill works but if you are holding the Greed bill and an extra bill for VisiBill it could get cramped.

Also, if you borrow the bill prior to Greed and then change it into a $50, the specs will want "their" bill back. Obviously you aren't going to give them the $50 so you would have to ditch the Greed bill and bring in another bill to switch back to "their" original $1. A long way to go if you ask me.

S.Segal
simply Sydney DVD here!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Greed by Daniel Garcia (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL