The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are there any well known female mentalists?.... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
....I've never heard mention of any?
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
Tessa Evason is probably one of the best female Mentalists today.

~Rick~
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I've always felt that there is a strong feminist side to 'salsadancer'.
But I'd really need to spend some time with him to be sure.
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
LOL. Hi Bobser, I've read a few of your posts....so why am I not surprised by your "light hearted" response!...Smile especially considering the subject matter.

It was supposed to be a serious question!! Not sure how Salsa will take it!? Smile

Ok...bring it on guys Smile - I can take it Smile..I think??
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4176 Posts

Profile of bobser
I'm sure Salsa will take it very well.
But you're right, there aren't that many female mentalists.
One woman suggested to me that mentalists, whether they admitted it or not, were actually quite 'anal', and therefore were attracted to the possibility of having power over others. Something women, she claimed, weren't as obsessed with.
Again it made me think about 'Salsadancer', and how he likes to 'birl' people around when he's dancing with them.
Coincidence???
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Bobser wrote:-

Quote:
One woman suggested to me that mentalists, whether they admitted it or not, were actually quite 'anal', and therefore were attracted to the possibility of having power over others.

...Hmmm, I guess that could be true of 'some' mentalists...

Bobser:-
Quote:
Something women, she claimed, weren't as obsessed with.

...totally untrue!! Smile
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Anyone who has seen Frances Willard perform knows that she must be mentioned on this thread.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 08:45, bobser wrote:
I've always felt that there is a strong feminist side to 'salsadancer'.
But I'd really need to spend some time with him to be sure.

You are not wrong. I have no issues with being in touch with my feminine side unlike oor bobser. I hear he is a bit of an Emily Howard

Besides the ladies like a strong man that can smell good too Smile
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Well, as far as cold reading goes, Miss Cleo got her fair share of publicity. Smile Too bad she wasn't exactly a mentalist.

Hmm, not many female magicians OR mentalists... why? The world may never know. The girls just don't know what they're missing. Smile

Angela
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 11:54, Angela wrote:

Hmm, not many female magicians OR mentalists... why? The world may never know. The girls just don't know what they're missing. Smile

Angela

Because it is a male geek dominated society. Therefore when a female appears she will most likely be swarmed on by attention seeking males keen to impress with their tales of bravado and masculinity.

Why very few female mentalists? Well you can imagine the scene at the local magic club

'Please write your thoughts on this piece of paper... on second thoughts I don't need it to know what you are thinking. Here is a bar of soap, go and wash your unique odour off please...'
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 12:33, salsa_dancer wrote:

Because it is a male geek dominated society. Therefore when a female appears she will most likely be swarmed on by attention seeking males keen to impress with their tales of bravado and masculinity.

Don't listen to him Angela, I hear he's a 'little light on his feet'. You should see the size of my Buschy Billet...fnar fnar..

Joking aside, I think this point can be proved by a quick look through the responses to Anabelle everytime she posts.. its very sad.. but, you really should see me handling my Buschy billet...
ChEeKy_MoNkEy
View Profile
Regular user
FCCL
149 Posts

Profile of ChEeKy_MoNkEy
Quote:
salsa_dancer wrote:

Why very few female mentalists? Well you can imagine the scene at the local magic club

'Please write your thoughts on this piece of paper... on second thoughts I don't need it to know what you are thinking. Here is a bar of soap, go and wash your unique odour off please...'

Lol...Salsa, sadly you are right....and Craig Leonard has just proved it!...BTW - I'm glad to hear you're in touch with your feminine side...it takes a real man to admit that!...

..and Craig, yes, I've also noticed that with Anabelles' posts - all I can say is good for her...she keeps posting!

Joking aside...I am interested to hear of any well known female mentalists. My curiosity stems from the fact it must be a lot harder for women to achieve success in what is usually accepted to be a Male dominated field.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6321 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Sue, of Brian & Sue, kicks some major butt when it comes to NW, book tests, code acts, georgia magnet stuff and her blindfold routines.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but who are Brian & Sue?
Angela
View Profile
Regular user
Ohio
190 Posts

Profile of Angela
Okay, you guys are right. And poor sweetheart Anabelle!

I'm sure you've never heard about the guy whose magic watch told him that I wasn't wearing any underwear. Of course I was wearing underwear, which made him claim that his magic watch must be ten minutes fast.

Take it easy, guys.
Winnes
View Profile
Veteran user
382 Posts

Profile of Winnes
You should've stopped it.

It seems that the women being mentioned here are part of a 'double-act' with a man - isn't this just a variation of the traditional magicians assistant?
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6321 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 14:33, Craig Leonard wrote:
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but who are Brian & Sue?

That's Brian Gillis & Sisuephan aka Sue... check out their promo video at their website: http://www.gillismagic.com
They have one of the best code acts around... plus being just about the nicest people you will ever meet.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 14:57, Angela wrote:
Okay, you guys are right. And poor sweetheart Anabelle!

I'm sure you've never heard about the guy whose magic watch told him that I wasn't wearing any underwear. Of course I was wearing underwear, which made him claim that his magic watch must be ten minutes fast.

Take it easy, guys.

Bwahahahaha! That patter probably came with his pack of 'How to seduce girls with magic'

The problem with magicians is that we spend most of our 'informative' years practicing magic, and if not careful you miss out on the fun stuff in life Smile

This also leads to many failing to gain a personality outside of the patter packet.

Fortunately for me I am good looking, intelligent, charming and I dance like a God.
chicagoman
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of chicagoman
It seems that women would have a character more natural with mentalism. As far as performing mentalism being a masculine control thing, that's a theme in a character that I suppose some people use as a through-line. But I think there's a character theme as well that some use that has a "receptive" or "summissive" quality to it--qualities typically associated with femininity.

It's a theme were you are not in control of the power and you are the conduit for the power which "may or may not work" (how many of us use that line!?)

Psychics have often been assoicated with women. I can't see why more women wouldn't be in the mentalism venue--character-wise, they probably have an unique advantage.
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
From what I remember of the past 50 years, there have been a LOT of women mentalists. Most of 'em don't call themselves "mentalists." They call themselves psychics, palm readers, tarot readers, fortunetellers, and network television programmers.

It might just as well be asked why there aren't more women as comic book artists, landscapers, technical writers, computer programmers, mathematicians, et al. The answer always comes back to "I don't know."

Which is a TERRIBLE thing for a mentalist to admit!

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are there any well known female mentalists?.... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL