The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sit or stand (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Simple do you do your show sitting or standing
I'm sitting a lot more - I feel much more on a level with the kids
obviously I don't sit for it all but the chair/ is used a lo tin the show
kids sit on it and if I'm in a hall ill balance it on my chin too

I'm definitely a sitter now
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
I couldn't imagine sitting during my show. Most kids shos are fast paced and you can't do that while sitting down.
-Tyler
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7404 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Personally, I like to stand when performing, and haven't seen a lot of performers doing their shows while sitting (that would remind me of a kindergarten teacher reading a book to her students sitting on the carpet).

I know that Andy Walker and Ross Macrae like to sit while performing though, and it seems to work well for them. I've seen video footage from moments of their shows, that's how I know (Andy's VCD and Ross' online).

However, some performers stand, but don't stand still. It drives me crazy to watch them pace back and forth.

They think by pacing it will hold the audience's attention better, but it can be done just as well standing still, if not better. I guess some do it out of nervous habit, but some do it intentionally. This was one of the best things a performer can learn -- stand still and present to your audience. There are times for appropriate movement to add drama and interest, but try and plant your feet as much as possible, even if you aren't using a mic in a stand. You're audience will be happier for it.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I sit because after my stroke I can't stand too long ... I thought it would be a "minus," but it turned out to be a "plus": with me no longer towering above some seven-year-old, but down on a level with him head-to-head, there are a lot fewer scared shy kids, and a lot fewer "smart aleck" acting-up kids.
Gideon Sylvan
View Profile
Special user
Deerfield, IL
541 Posts

Profile of Gideon Sylvan
I don't sit, but I could see it working after a wild trick, to try to bring down the energy in the room.
You know you are a magician when you have boxes full of lecture notes you have never read, but still are excited about going out and buying more.

www.gideonsylvan.com
AceTony
View Profile
New user
Northern UK
16 Posts

Profile of AceTony
I believe you need to have enegy in your show. I couldn't find that enegy if I was sitting rather than standing. I would therefore prefer to stand up. I saw Ross on his video. I can understand why Ross might want to sit down for comfortable reasons.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2432 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
In my opinion, the best choice of all: vary. Stand most of the time, sit on the floor and move them all close to hear you, kneel ... and while you're at it, move the kids: get em to sit, stand, jump, march around ... raises the "involvement level" by several hundred percent and lowers the "disinterested fidgety kids" level amazingly!
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
I am moving all thru the show so I don't stand or sit
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I always stand, even with the pre-schoolers, abd it works great for me.

Matt
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do both actually. I stand when I am doing my intro or my non audience participation effects. However, when I am working with younger kids, I take the elevator down and sit on a small stool. I like to get on their level and they feel more relaxed with me when they are not constantly having to look up at me. I also tend to get them more relaxed and that instills comfort and allows more comedy and interaction to take place.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
I agree 100% Kyle.. Theres nothing like kneeling or sitting down when a child comes up to help (in my show its every other trick)..You show the kids (and adults) that you can relate to them and consider yourself at their level. Theres nothing better than when you look a child in the eye at his level. I find most pictures are taken when I am kneeling and have the kid "in my arms". I find it respectful to the children, they don't know it, but the mommies and daddy's do.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
A simple answer is it depends on the

1. Venue
2. Size of audience
3. My health that day
4. Place in the show.
5. My music also shares the up and down pace
6. My puppets also have different energy levels.
a. Pervis is a rock and roll dancer
b. Bob, my rocky is more laid back
c. Nigel, the puppet that rocks and talks has a diverse energy range.
Earlier this month we tried a new routine, (with heart, sadness and a bit of humor)regarding the loss/death of his goldfish) It is always a learning process when adding newer and somewhat nontraditional kid show fair to my programs.

The last one refers to the importance of pace in my show.
When younger my show was a mile a minute. These days it has more up and down moments.

I received an email from the church I did valentines shows on Friday for.

One of the comments was from parents attending the small audienced afternoon show.
It read that mom like the way I simply rolled a ball back and forth between myself and each child. It is part of my nearly normal warm up. The idea started years ago when I would try to catch a ball and miss it. (Later I would build up to a simple juggling routine) The ball rolled to the front row and a boy rolled it back. I believe others such as Sammy P. Smith also have used this idea.

Be safe, well and creative.

As someone said and wrote, Find the stuff that is YOU.

Thanks for helping me do the same.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Sit or stand (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL