The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bum, poo,wee » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Ive used all of these words in my show
I know that the majority of you wiil outraged but they are funny and offend no one and should be used delicately
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
No no no
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Yes yes yes

Welcome to the Café graemesd, You'll find a lot of prudes here!
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
Nick ....prude? that would be a first for me ..... My response simply states no bum, no poo, and no wee, for me (was not that the quandry)

I prefer to leave bathroom humor out of my routine as I perform for children
those who need it to be funny I am sorry if this offends just my humble opinion

People change and society changes and those who do not adapt with it

We can't change others but we can change ourselves.
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE POWER OF THE FEW TO CHANGE THE WORLD "THATS USUALY HOW IT WORKS" MARGRET MEAD
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2433 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Can I say that anything of the sort needs to be used ADVISEDLY and VERY SPARINGLY?

How many times have you upset, alienated or put off (use what terms you like) one or more members of your audience with such terms used too freely? Weigh that against whatever entertainment value you have gained by using such terms (is there really ... no, REALLY ... much value that you couldn't have gotten as easily some other way?) Which is worth more?

True, there's Bette Midler's famous comment (and I often agree) "Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!"

On the other hand (there's ALWAYS the other hand) there's your duty to serve your audience ... if you're not their servant, why do you bow at their approval?

Is there something you buy with the "naughty" terms that is so essential to have? Then go for it! But if it's just for a cheap laugh when, with a little work, you could have gotten a better one, do the work.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Could agree more!

My two favourite kid's jokes at the moment are

"This is my rabbit Lou. I call her Lou because she drinks out of the Loo." (Loo = toilet)"

My spring wand turns around at the top and then the bottom. The kids scream "NOW ITS SPINNING ON THE BOTTOM" to which I reply. "My bottom's spinning around!?!?!"
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2433 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
"Okay, Billy, stand right here beside me and hold this wand ... don't look at me, face your friends, they want to see your face, not your butt."

The "My bottom's spinning around!?!?!" comment ... I used to say "What's wrong with my bottom?" and turn to try to see it ... and keep turning and keep turning, because you can never really see it properly.
JB the Clown
View Profile
New user
Ireland
25 Posts

Profile of JB the Clown
Bum Poo Wee - Abso loo tlee

I Juggle a beany dog, dinosaur and pear (Real pear not a beany one ;-), attempting to take a bite out of the pear during this dangerous routine. Inevitably I catch the wrong thing " Awwwwww no! I've just bit a Dinos BUM""" etc etc

So much fun

JB
JB the Clown
a.k.a. John Broaders
www.jbtheclown.com
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Wow I didn't actually expect to hear some support!
I'm not alone hooray
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A friend appears his small dog. In his belt he has a syringe, and as he turns, the dog appears to pee on the front row. It is really funny. And he doesn't tell them its water! (People laugh at the expense of others is a common rule of what's funny)

Although I don't use Bum, poo, wee, this is what rabbits and birds do naturally. If it occurs during a show, I will address it and find the humor in it.

Rather than show a prop empty, there is always something in it. For instance when I use the change bag. I say to the kid assistant, "Notice there is nothing in this bag." and the childs say "Yes there is... Scooby-Do" My response, "Opps I forgot to take Scooby out. This is his where he lives. I forgot to take him for his morning walk... Here's Scooby...Doo-Doo?" Tied to the feet of Scooby with fishing line is fake poop. So when I take out Scooby the Fake poo is dangling.

Poo is funny and all the kids know what it is. It's a quick laugh, groan, moan, oooh, yuk, reaction, and I move on with using the bag. ("Even Scooby like to play tricks on me...it's fake!")

The gag acts as a transition and reason for using the Change Bag.
Dennis Michael
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
A friend appears his small dog. In his belt he has a syringe, and as he turns, the dog appears to pee on the front row. It is really funny. And he doesn't tell them its water! (People laugh at the expense of others is a common rule of what's funny)

HI,
Yeah my dog puppet does a similar thing !

Phillip
prude
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of prude
I cannot believe what I am reading here. Quite disgraceful.
Magic is an art form not a vehicle for low class crudity especially in front of children.

Even the mildest sort of crudity is not suitable because of what Ormond Mc"gill calls the "feeling tone" You lower the dignity of your art and your performance.

The slightest impropriety should never be used in any magic show. Please don't quote to me examples of supposed leading lights that use it in great abundance. As soon as they do that then to me they are no longer artists just purveyors of low class entertainment which appeals to low class people.

I don't approve of this for adults let alone children. You are breaking the suspension of disbelief and presenting yourself as a low class person.

You should keep this sort of lavatory talk to your private conversations if you are the sort of person who indulges in it, but for entertainment purposes in a children's show it should be rigidly eschewed. Even the slightest improper word or crude joke sets a bad example and should plain never be done.

With regard to "dog poo" props I cannot believe what I am reading. I have often suspected that the people who pontificate the most about children's entertainment on here are dreadful performers. Before it was sheer gut feeling. Now I am utterly convinced of it.

No artist in his right mind would use such offensive words and material in a children's show.

Again quite disgraceful and the people who advocate it should be quite ashamed of themselves for degrading themselves and even worse the art of magic.
AlmostAmazingJames
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of AlmostAmazingJames
I assume who ever Prude realy is,he is making fun of all of the uptight magicians round here.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
As a parent of 2 daughters I am always watchfull of what may effect thier charecter

I hope my clientel are as watchfull, and would not like to see the entertainer they hired as a source

I don't see this material as disgraceful just uneccessary and a detraction from profesionality,and betrays the trust my clients current and future have that my act will bring clean and wholesome entertainment to their children
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5784 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
And we wonder why magic has such a poor reputation.

I hope you have permission from the trade mark holder to use Scooby-Doo in your show.
rhinomax
View Profile
Regular user
188 Posts

Profile of rhinomax
It is odd to me words like prude and uptight are tossed around this thread as if punitive remarks have been made on this subject

other than Prude (who ever you are) first post (be it satire or opinion)and myself simply stating I don't use it. Most seem to be for it

Den I must admit I am surprised to hear you use rubber poop in kid show

do you then handle it in front of them

my clients expect Comedy and humor in my performance that have the audience howling with laughter. Everything is suitable for all audiences and no unsuitable or risqué material is ever used.

Topper
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Disney gets away with it in every film they make.
Nick and the Cartoon network does as well.
Films like Shrek are loaded with this type of humor.

You go Den, great idea and I'll bet they are screaming in laughter!
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
But is it bad to use the word "booger" in a show? I think not.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I use Wee all the time.

My puppet tell me he needs a wee. I tell him he can't as were doing a show. He keeps on asking me so eventually I say you can go now, he says 'WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Matt
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I think it depends upon your character and the character you are trying to portray on stage. If your character is trim and proper and you present magic in this manner, then jokes of the sort mentioned, would not only be out of line, but would not go over well cause it just does not fit. So I guess your first step is finding out who you really are as a performer and who you are not. This can help you determine what might be acceptable.

Kids are indeed familiar with these jokes and use them a lot. They do find it funny and it does get a laugh. I would just be careful as to how far you push it and how often you do it or use a line like this.

The idea of "it's on the bottom.." and then chasing around to look at yours.. is a funny line and would certainly get a laugh without really being rude or considered blue humer.

Find out what works best for you and keep in mind your audience and who you are performing for.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bum, poo,wee » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL