The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bum, poo,wee » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Actually, I don't see this as bickering nearly so much as an exchange of ideas and some debate on general techniques of humor for a children's show. Speaking for myself, not as a guy who works here, of course.

And I recently saw a performer at a stroll about gig walk up to a jovial lady who was wearing a sweatshirt with a popular Disney-hijacked character on it and, pointing to the character on her shirt said, "Awwww, somebody Pooh'd on your shirt... in the nicest possible way, I might add." The lady thought it was extremely funny after she figured out that he was referring to Winnie the Pooh.

I would imagine that one would have to be rather careful about who that joke would play for, but the laugh was huge and her kids LOVED it.

As they say in transactional Analysis - "different strokes for different folks!"

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Thetruthteller
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Thetruthteller
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 05:35, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:

For example, you mentioned a 'higher path'. Why would a non bodily function show be higher? Perhaps an acceptance of bodily functions as normal and an ability to see humour them without shame is a higher path!

As much as you wish it would be so you do not dictate what is or isn't Art. That's, mind you, Art with a capital A. What is considered (by a general concencus of society and its social norms) to be high art. Typically one doesn't find scatological humour in this category. Toilet humor is, as a rule thought of as low brow appealing strictly to the lower classes the uneducated or the juvenile.
As a rule such matters are not acceptable as a topic of discussion among the Hoi Poli.
Certainly you can point to such literary giants as Shakespeare and Swift as using this so called humour in their works. However they wrote in a time period when society was a lot more earthy and much less sophisticated than it is today (certain members of this board excluded) and the discussion of ones bowel movements during polite conversation was not considered an out of the ordinary topic. Fortunately society as a whole has, for the most part progressed since those times.
I have nothing against anyone resorting to using such low humour to reap whatever cheap laffs that they can garner from an audience of folk of infantile intellect. More power to them.
I however strive to work a little harder at my humor.
I know my audience appreciates my efforts to do so and reward me accordingly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Bum, poo,wee » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL