The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is the best stack to learn where a card is named and I know the position? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1293 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
As the subject line suggests, what is the best or easiest stack or system to learn where when someone names a card I can instantly know the position of it in a deck.? I don't need the deck to do anything else. No need for poker hands built in or any other fancy extras. Just need it for one purpose - a card is named and I know where it is.

Many thanks

Angelo
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Magic SMS 2: http://apple.co/2nuxewr
Notion of Motion: http://www.risingcard.co.uk
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
The Mnemonica Deck by Juan Tamariz.
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Paul Sherman
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, VA
1511 Posts

Profile of Paul Sherman
A lot of people seem to like Joyal's stack (which I am admittedly unfamiliar with). If you use Lorayne-esque mnemonics, though, my experience is that no one setup is harder to memorize than any other. You might as well shuffle a deck until it's randomly mixed and then memorize it. This would have the benefit of being indetectable to magicians familiar with any of the standard memorized stacks. After an afternoon of practice you can recall any card with some effort and after a week or two no effort at recall will be apparent.

Since this is something that you'll presumably use for a long time, I wouldn't base my decision strictly on which one you can learn the fastest (if indeed there is one you can learn faster than any other). I'd consider your other requirements. Do you often perform with a new pack so that getting into your stack from new deck order is important? Are their other effects you perform that require a stack that you could build in? etc. etc.

At the end of the day, if you're going to go to the effort of memorizing a stack, you might as well get some "bonus" for your effort in the form of other tricks built into it.

Paul
"The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success..." Erdnase

some youtube videos
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1957 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I use the Nikola Card System which can be found in Hugards Emclyclopedia of Card Tricks as well as many other texts.

I had it working for me in an afternoon. It took another day or two to speed it up. I absolutely love it and wouldn't change stacks for the world!

I might also mention that I came across this website which helps me practice when I am not performing. http://www.stackview.com/

I downloaded the little program which has Nikola and a bunch of others as well.

-Chris.
Canvey Card Sharp
View Profile
Special user
Canvey Island Essex ENGLAND
552 Posts

Profile of Canvey Card Sharp
Bart Harding for me - easy to remember and really flexible for a number of ideas.

PM me for further info if you want.
Barry Allen

A Trick....A Smile....Applause
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1171 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Joyal. The Six Hour Memorized Deck.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
444 Posts

Profile of Rick
Joyal,Joyal,Joyal...
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Use a brain wave effect but do a litttle ajustments with the marking and fase up or not.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
With respect to choice of stack, based on your parameters, it's totally irrelevant which one you choose. If you honestly mean that you only want to do this one thing (know the position of a card in the stack), it doesn't matter what you use. Heck, take a normal shuffled deck and memorize it.

It really depends on what your definition of "easy" is with respect to memorization. I personally thought that spending an hour or two a day for a few weeks wasn't all that much of a commitment. I felt this way because I knew that I wanted to have a solid tool to use to create good magic with. There is no such thing as easy to master card miracles. Anyone who says different is misleading you.

Whatever stack you decide on, learn it well, and you'll create miracles. Good luck.
tjo'
Angelo Carbone
View Profile
V.I.P.
1293 Posts

Profile of Angelo Carbone
Thanks all so far. Just to clarify, I don't need to get into the stack from new deck order. It is for my Rising Card effect (see signature). Instead of having it in numerical order I wish to make it up in a shuffled order so when a card is freely named, I know the location. Once the deck is in the stack, I never need to shuffle, cut of do whatever to the cards. They stay in that order for eternity Smile

I don't mind spending hours or days learning the stack but I do want to be able to instantly know the location whether it is by pure memory or better yet a mathematical calculation eg: clubs are 10, hearts are 20, spades are 30 and diamonds are 40. The value is determined by some other means. I know Lewis Jones had something similar to this.

Thanks again!
The Gift: Trick of the Year 2017
My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/themagicinventor
Magic SMS 2: http://apple.co/2nuxewr
Notion of Motion: http://www.risingcard.co.uk
BrianCooper
View Profile
New user
Los Angeles, CA
55 Posts

Profile of BrianCooper
No one has mentioned the very popular (in the US at least) Aronson Stack. Also the Si Stebbins stack is quick to get into from new pack order. For your needs any stack would work just as well. Personally I am waiting for Juan Tamariz' book to arrive to check out his Mnemonica stack.

Brian Cooper
magicandrew
View Profile
New user
Australia
58 Posts

Profile of magicandrew
Sounds like a nise effect you rising card there has been in the past a quite old but very gimmiked version of that trick.
""Magic is your art handle it well""
gandalf
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
310 Posts

Profile of gandalf
Quote:
On 2005-02-12 22:46, chris_stolz wrote:
I use the Nikola Card System which can be found in Hugards Emclyclopedia of Card Tricks as well as many other texts.

I had it working for me in an afternoon. It took another day or two to speed it up. I absolutely love it and wouldn't change stacks for the world!

I might also mention that I came across this website which helps me practice when I am not performing. http://www.stackview.com/

I downloaded the little program which has Nikola and a bunch of others as well.

-Chris.

Thanks for the link, what an excellent programme!
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3327 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Quote:
On 2005-02-13 04:57, gandalf wrote:
Thanks for the link, what an excellent programme!

I'll second that! Thanks Chris.
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Angelo

Long time no hear. Hope you're well. Out of interest, I'm still using "Out Of Order".

T. L. O'M. is spot on. It doesn't matter which stack you use if you just need to know the numerical location of a card.

For speed, however, I'd suggest you go for a full memorised system (like Aronson or Mnemonica) rather than a calculated system (like Bert Harding's or Boris Wild's). It takes a while to learn the stack, but it's instantaneous when you do. Calculated ones are easier to use initially, but aren't instantaneous unless you use them for years (like Alan Shaxon). Plus the memory training system is invaluable for a lot of other work (remembering pin numbers springs immediately to mind).

My personal favourite is Aronson's, but only because I like the rest of his work too. If you invest in "Bound To Please", for example, you not only get the stack but "Red Sea Passover" and "Histed Heisted", two excellent routines. However I thoroughly enjoyed "Mnemonica" and am working with a few routines from there. And I like Boris Wild's stuff too.

So. Just pick one, I guess.

I'd also like to thank Chris for his link - very impressive.

Ian
ziatro
View Profile
Veteran user
Havant, England
322 Posts

Profile of ziatro
Purely based on your needs, the three most likely and easiest are:
1) Si Stebbins (well known to magicians)
2) Eight Kings (well known to magicians)
3) Bart Hardings stack which is very easy to learn and based on a simple piece of math. I use it all the time for Paul Gordons diary trick. It took a few hours to learn and I'm not great with numbers. (Highly recommended)
Available from Peter Scarlett at http://www.peterscarlett.com/html/details_5.html
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Si Stebbins would take several seconds to calculate the location, but Reverse Si Stebbins Stack is easy to calculate. You must remember the positions of every King. For example, let assume King of Spades is at X from the top. If the selection is 5 of Spades, its location is (5 x 4 + x) from the top.

I guess your purpose is to show the cards are mixed, so I think a system stack like Si Stebbins is suffice for the purpose.

BTW, do you think you need to show the cards are mixed in your wonderful 'Any Card Rising'? (Sorry I don't know the exact name). I am really looking forward to releasing of the trick from you.

Hideo kato
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5259 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
I'd suggest Martin Joyal's stack because it meets your criterion for a stack that uses mathematical calculations, with some practice the calculations will disappear and you'll instantly know the location of the cards by position or vice versa, the deck looks completely mixed, and you should be able to memorize the stack in 6 hours or less (it took me less time and my memory stinks). Interestingly enough, it's the stack I use professionally including in an effect I created where I make any named card rise.

Larry D.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2116 Posts

Profile of ddyment
As you can see, everyone has an opinion on what is the "best" memorized deck stack. Truth is, there is no "best". What there is, is a set of trade-offs, and each user should determine which particular trade-offs make the most sense for his or her particular interests/requirements.

Further, people confuse the issue of how the stack is initially learned -- mnemonics (Tamariz, Aronson, etc.), rules (Joyal, Matt), algorithms (Harding, Dyment, etc.) with the issue of whether the stack is memorized or not. There are examples of this in the above postings. It's misleading to compare, say, an Aronson stack that has actually been memorized, with a Joyal stack in which only rules have been learned, but the stack has not yet been memorized.

I've written an essay on the topic of Full-Deck Stacks that covers all of these topics and more. Whichever solution you eventually choose, making a decision based on careful consideration of the attending issues, rather than the random opinions of others, is likely your best bet.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Which one is best to learn "Every body's Lazy" from simply simon?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is the best stack to learn where a card is named and I know the position? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL