The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Balls are Best for Multiplying Ball Routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Can you guys give me some suggestions/ideas/recommendations on this? I am going to try and learn a multiplying ball routine. Which balls would be best for a less than professional (me) magician? Sponge balls? Vernet Balls? The multiplying golf balls I have seen advertised or the Fakini balls I have now read you guys talking about? If I had to order today, I would probably order the Vernet balls, but it never hurts to get a second opinion, and I really have no idea which ones would work best. Thanks, Mark
"Go Browns!"
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
If you want balls which grips your fingers well, you cant go wrong with Vernet balls.
the74rock
View Profile
Loyal user
261 Posts

Profile of the74rock
If you want balls which grips your fingers better than well, you cant go wrong with fakinis.
cigar808
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of cigar808
Go with Fakini.
You will be glad you did
joespc
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of joespc
Fakini’s Multiplying Golf Balls are great. The dimples on the balls will add to the cling making them easier to hold than the smooth billiards. I also like the Fakini’s because of the weight. The Vernet Balls are hollow plastic, whereas the Fakini’s are solid rubber. Just my opinion...
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
Vernet ball are pretty but too light for me, I learned with wooden balls, I tried the vernet and compaired to the wooden balls I liked vernet better. But when I began to use Fakini Balls a whole new world of manipulation opened up.Better buy the Fakinis as Frank will not be making them forever, he has already stoped making thimbles.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
Here's another vote for Fakini's Balls. They are made out of silicone and will last a very long time. The silicone also makes them easy to palm due to the 'clingy' nature. They also bounce, so if you drop them, you just wait for it to come back up!
Good Luck,
Damien
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Fakinis are best.

When I was young and on a budget, I used the Goshman Multiplying Sponge Balls. They're very nice.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Fakini is the way to go. I have used the Vernet and they are literally too painful to use. Practicing with the Vernet balls made my hands sore.
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Thanks, guys. I would love to try out the Fakini balls, but unfortunately they are a little out of my price range at the moment. So I think I will go with the sponge or Vernet balls for now, and if I really develop some ability, I can aspire to get a set of Fakini's. Thanks! Mark
"Go Browns!"
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey,

Before you go out and make a buy, there's something to consider,

Start off with a simple set of multiplying balls first, sponge balls have to be the best (it is how I got started). Than buy a video specifically targeting multiplying balls, "Academy Course of Magic" I think is the name, has an excellent teaching of it, as well as a very nice color change. After perfecting that, step up a level with quality. I DO NOT recommend Vernets, (this is all my opinion), the sh*** is too loose on the ball and falls off with even the sleightest slip of the finger, and the balls are hollow, which I broke one when I accidently dropped it on the floor. Also, the ball is very prickly, and almost cut my fingers trying to multiply them. I do have big hands and very skinny fingers, so hand size wasn't the problem. I made the change to Fakini's (I know you said they are out of your price range) but the shell grip is unbelievable and perfect for my hands, plus the manipulation is really easy.

In this case for multiplying balls, you get what you pay for.

Hope this helps,

Evan
mstick85
View Profile
Regular user
Gahanna, Ohio
151 Posts

Profile of mstick85
Thanks guys! Evan, where can I get a copy of the multiplying ball video you describe? This "Academy Course of Magic"? Thanks, Mark
"Go Browns!"
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
An alternative multiplying ball routine is Karrell Fox's in one of his books--he even has a "flash extra 4 ball finale" that's very practical (uses sponge balls).
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Took some time to find but here it is,

http://www.learnmagic.com/acad_vids/10.html

PLEASE take some time to check out the other videos they have, this is unbelievable stuff and is worth every penny!!!

After posting I remember another video, that gives gimmicks to help with live performances, as well as someone else performing a complete routine of the balls.

http://www.learnmagic.com/acad_vids/41.html
GrahamFishman
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of GrahamFishman
DO NOT GET VERNET BALLS! they are too light, they hurt and will make you bleed! empire magic makes a simple set of golf balls that are only like $10.00 and they are great if you are learning. If you end up liking ball manipulation then you can move up to fakini (WHICH I LOVE!) also check out jeff McBrides world class manipulation vol.1
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
The Empire balls are a good choice as a starter set.

Also, if interested, you can learn multiplying routines that don't require a s***l.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have an original set of Ireland's Multiplying Golf Balls with FOUR balls & TWO s----s, and have NO idea who the manufacturer was, but I'd love to find something comparable. This set is PERFECT for beginners, as the rubber balls are easy to manipulate. Magic Inc out of Chicago is where this set was bought LONG ago, I repainted the set ten years ago, and they still look like new!

Another great set (if you practice over CARPET, not bare floors!) is wooden, and comes from Germany in several sizes...the 1 3/4 inch is the one I have...they come lacquer-coated in red or white. They ARE a bit more difficult, but when you master these, you can pretty much run any set you find.

Fakini is, by popular vote, the best, but I've not tried those yet. Do check out Fakini's Golf Ball Set...

Can anyone add to the above...about the Ireland set? What kind of rubber is this? Kinda squishy, but still quite firm. The rubber-based paint I used seems to have vanished as well...The craft store doesn't sell it any more...hopefully I don't have to repaint these any time soon, but any ideas as to what paint to use?

Anyone else have an original Ireland Golf Ball Set?

Doug
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
The rubber balls for Ireland's set used to be sold in (are you ready?) dime stores.

IMO Ireland's are the best, probably because I learned ball manipulation with them a zillion years ago. I prefer them over my Fakini set because the Ireland balls are lighter and the brass shells fit great. Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Dime stores, Julie???

Wow...one could never imagine! You're right, they are brass! The shell sticks to the ball, so you can toss it up in the air as one. I know of no other set that does this...however, I just discovered these recently:

http://www.elmwoodmagic.com/?nd=full&key=768

If these are comparable to Ireland's, I'd get TWO sets. That way you'll have a full set (four balls and two shells) with a couple extra left over as spares. Not sure I'm into the "yellow" color...wonder if these come in white?

Best!

Doug
viktor01
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of viktor01
GrahamFishman,You say Vernet hurts? Do you EVER train, or do you know why they hurt? I used Vernet when I won the Nordic Champin title, and they where fine.

But...Now I'm using fakini.
/Viktor
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Which Balls are Best for Multiplying Ball Routine? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL