We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell problem... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
My expanded shell keeps locking down on my coins...any tips to make them stop doing this?

Thanks,
Ralph
Magicmaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1235 Posts

Profile of Magicmaven
Ralph,
Make sure you have the right shell. For example, I was really stupid, and bought a half dollar shell, but used it on my SILVER half dollars. It got stuck, and it was a whole hassle getting it off. That might be your problem, or the shell got dinged, and is bent just enough to get stuck. Take a paper clip, un bend it, and move it around the the lip of the shell until you feel a depression in which you have to bend it outward. Be very carefull, and take some time. I messed up once already trying to get a ding out, and therefore lost a shell.

If you got the shell from Todd Lassen (http://www.toddlassen.com/) , or Jamie Schoolcraft (http://www.coingaff.com/), contact them, and they could probebly help you out, and tell you what to do. (They make the best shells if you want to flat out get a new shell/shell and set. I have Jamie's "Dean's Sets" and it is fabulous.)

IMHO
rmaxgoodwin.com
https://rmaxgoodwin.com/
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
There is a possibility that the edge of your [ is bent inwards. Have you dropped them before because it happened to mind lots of times. What you can do if that is the problem, is get a plier and work it back to shape. Hope this helps.
John Born
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of John Born
WAIT!!!!

Please do not use pliers, as the square tip will further bend your shell out of shape. The coin may be able to go back into the shell after you do this, but you are still making it worse.

DO THIS!!!

Get a magician's silk and a half dollar (assuming you have a half dollar shell). Place the silk over the half dollar, and then nest the shell onto the half dollar. Squeeze them together. This will automatically bend the outside of the shell out, so that it will precisely and freely nest over the coin. You will still maintain the quality and shape of the shell. Depending on the thickness/mumy of the silk, you may need to double it over. To release, simply pull the silk tight and both the shell and coin will separate. This is by far the best solution!!!

John B. Born
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Thanks for the help everybody...

John, I can't wait for those dvds and that book. Smile I also can't wait to see you at the Midwest Jubilee. Do you have plans on attending any other convention?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Whew! John, you caught him just in time!

No to pliers.
ralphgironda
View Profile
Veteran user
323 Posts

Profile of ralphgironda
Yeah, thanks for your help, John. Your idea worked like a charm. Smile
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Hahaha, well I guess it depends on your desperation in getting it to be fit again. I don't really use pliers all the time. Sometimes I put a smaller coin in the [ and swirl it around inside the [. That seems to work too. Don't worry John, I don't use pliers on my expensive shells! Sorry to scare you guys with pliers!
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2318 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
I use pliers. No problems whatsoever. Sure your shell doesn't look pretty from the bottom side, but people never see that side if you are doing your magic right. Smile And if you are using a Johnson Shell, your heart doesn't beat as fast as it would if you dropped a Lassen or a Schoolcraft. Smile
h_A_Z
View Profile
Special user
Ireland/Msia
701 Posts

Profile of h_A_Z
Got that right. Pliers for me are only used when:
1. I dropped it when I'm not at home and I have a gig on soon.
2. When it is my Johnson [. NOT my Lassen! I will NEVER drop my Lassen shell!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
Wow... pliers?! That was a close one, whew!

The silk idea is pretty much the best way I've found to "straighten out" a shell. In a pinch I've found that gentle pressure applied to the face of the shell with my thumbs while holding it by its edges with my fingertips and turning it slowly will open it up enough to use. This does not do as uniform a job as a half wrapped in a silk, but it will work if you don't happen to have a silk with you.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
dcobbs
View Profile
New user
Portsmouth, England
33 Posts

Profile of dcobbs
Yeah thanks for that silk tip. I had an old shell that was outta shape, it fixed it right up perfectly and its now smoother than the new shell I got to replace it!
Magically yours,

Daniel Cobbs.
tedski
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
786 Posts

Profile of tedski
Well, silver is not that hard of a metal. If you roll the shell w/ a coin inside on its edge on a PERFECTLY flat surface, such a glass topped table, it will gradually reshape. You must do this for the entire circumfurance(sp?) of the coin. You should be able to twist the coin within the shell and un-nest the two.

I prefer this method because the shell does not widen significantly. It takes a decent amount of pressure and patience with this method. I think I picked this up from David Roth, not sure, but it does work well.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1522 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
I just use a tissue folded in half. Works like a charm.
Chris Keppel
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City MO
544 Posts

Profile of Chris Keppel
I like to get a blow torch, a rubber hammer, and some vice grips. Twist and turn untill the coin makes a snap sound. Then you use the blow torch to give the coin that aged look. Hold it up sideways and bust it a few times with the the rubber hammer, then throw it in the freezer for about 3 1/2 minutes. Finally back over it with your car about 4-6 times. Or you can just use the method Johnny B said.

Oh yea, don't forget to tip your hooker.
www.chriskeppel.com
Kepp's Custom Carbon Fiber
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Chris,

word up
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Here's another thread on the same subject.
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Ralph,

Some coins fit in the ]'s more tightly than others. This is because not all coins are exactly the same size. I noticed that long ago. Test it yourself. So, it may just be that you are using coins that fit too tightly in the ].

So, in general, if you have the patience to go through many coins, you will find one that fits perfectly in the ]--not to tight and not too loose. You will find a coin that fits so perfectly that you will have NO visible gap, NO consequential shadow, and virtually NO chance of being detected by even the most bold display of the gimmick.

Some ] manufacturers provide perfectly fitting sets which can be just as perfectly fitted by anyone--again, provided that you have the patience. In this case, your patience will be well-rewarded.

However, with all said about coin size variations, there is, of course, still the chance that you have one uniquely defective ]. In that case, I'd say exhange it, or get a refund.

Always In Search of a Perfect Fit,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7294 Posts

Profile of paisa23
John

Trying your silk method and it isn't working. I just had the same thing happen to me I was with the wife at the store and dropped my shell Now its bent I am trying the silk method, it seems to have gotten a bit better put it is not loosening the hold when I need to unnest them. There Jamie's set so I know to replace it is expensive.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
There is more steps to this than just using a silk.

Find a very hard table surface such as tile and put the shell over a coin. Roll the nested set on its edge as hard as you can. This will press the edges into the coin. This works the edges from the outside.

Now double over a silk (or fold the silk in fours) and put it in the shell. Press the coin into it so it all jams together. Pry the silk apart. This works the edges from the inside.

Repeat the rolling on a hard surface followed by the silk expansion to eventually work out any dents.

One last thing, it is helpful to have a bang ring just in case the shell gets lodged too tight on the coin.
Click to visit:
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell problem... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL