The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell problem... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Brian Roberts
View Profile
Regular user
Georgia
200 Posts

Profile of Brian Roberts
Try using a crisp dollar bill in place of the silk; it's just slightly thicker and might give your shell enough clearence. I've done it, with success. Ofcourse with my case it was a 5.

B.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
OK well I got it to come out. I can still see the dents very slightly but they unest with ease again. Thanks all for the help.
lekin
View Profile
Regular user
Sometimes less is more so I only have
176 Posts

Profile of lekin
I've also gotten separation using liquid soap and tweezers or a knife blade.
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
How about needle nose pliers for a nasty ding?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sometimes, putting a small piece of leather between the coin and the metal tools you are using on it will allow the coin to bend more smoothly without creases. This is for a lick and not vise grips!

To separate coins, sometimes leaving it in the freezer over night wil allow you to warm the shell faster than the core and help you separate them. If it doesn't work immediately, it doesn't get better as the coin reaches room temperature. Go to plan X, Y or Z.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

Robert,

Lucy and I hope to see you in March. Any way I can help with the new SAM Assembly while we are there?
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
I have a shell that fits too snug on "un-worn" halves.

If you stack a bunch of old Kennedy's and lay them sideways on a flat surface, you'll see a marked difference in the widths of the various coins. I keep four coins "culled" from the herd and one "snug" half in the coin purse, along with the bang ring.

The snug half is the last one the shell gets pushed into, and can be flipped and caught as a final single coin production to help cast doubt among those who suspect the gaff.

Regards,

-jjg
Aaron Moring
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago
165 Posts

Profile of Aaron Moring
JJG,
That is an interesting use. Do you find that the continued tight nesting and unnesting wears out your shell? Just curious...
Aaron
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
To be honest, it's a cheap tail-side shell that I'm not especially concerned about. The only aging factor I've noticed is a dis-similar tarnish that, if I don't stay on top of it, makes it look too different from the rest of the coins.

If anything, it's probably slightly out of round from an occasional drop or a mis-seated bang ring.

I'll speak much more highly of it the day I list it for sale though. Smile

Regards,

-jjg
doublelift
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of doublelift
If you need to force a bit more clearence than the silk will provide try some polyester material that's just a bit thicker than silk but still smooth enough to do the same job. Depends on the clearence needed and the coins. It is the same idea just a material option.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
What works perfect for me is a small hammer. Place a coin inside the shell and use the hammer to give light and even taps all the way around the shell. You will find great results and no dents.

(I've done this on Schoolcraft and Keuper shells..not Lassen coins, LOL)

Best,

Doug Lippert
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
Griff
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
285 Posts

Profile of Griff
I got a well worn Morgan shell from a friend a long while back. I took it to my local coin shop and showed the dealer the face only at first and asked if he had any that were in the same condition. He brought over a box of about 100-200 coins! I started picking them up to try to compare them...and finally told the curious guy, "look, I'm a magician, let me show you what I want". Talk about attention! I showed him the shell and even told him how it was made. He was totally blown away by the idea and was VERY helpfull. I know...secrets and all, but he has since become a confidant. I was able to take my time and find 4 perfect fits for the shell and now whenever I need a coin/coins, he not only remembers me, but begs to see a new trick. Not only did I get the luxury of digging thru all of the junk silver, but I gained a friend. He is now learning and doing coin magic for all who come into the shop...including me! Very cool.
jhereg
View Profile
Regular user
Petaluma California
121 Posts

Profile of jhereg
That is a very cool story!
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
That's pretty cool Griff!
Zaprig1
View Profile
Elite user
470 Posts

Profile of Zaprig1
I wish my coin shop would do that! They don't even want you handling their silver!

Regarding the shell fix. I had a flipper that had some dents, and fixed it last week. After 4 days of trying everything, I ended up doing EXACTLY what Dan Watkins posted but with the insert of course. I figured this out alllllllllll by myself, and was sooooooooo proud.

Silly me.........I could have saved days of frustration by a little searching here!
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
All the numismatists I did develop a relationship with turned out tho be initially amused, then interested, then supportive before becoming really friendly. It's not very difficult to develop a friendship with these professionals for we supply a new angle to their passion (even if our coins do not represent a lot of potential profit for them)

They always supply interesting topics or stories
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
Mad_Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
France
300 Posts

Profile of Mad_Lewis
Here is a tip for those who get their coins stuck in their shells :

put the "double" coin in a thick glass, cover with your hand and then shake vigorously. this will get the coin out of the shell in the blink of an eye without any damage to your coin or shell. just don't use fine glasses... but thick ones.

really nice idea the silk tip.
mitchmarkl
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of mitchmarkl
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 09:23, The.Amazing.Boy wrote:
Here is a tip for those who get their coins stuck in their shells :

put the "double" coin in a thick glass, cover with your hand and then shake vigorously. this will get the coin out of the shell in the blink of an eye without any damage to your coin or shell. just don't use fine glasses... but thick ones.

really nice idea the silk tip.

If you have an unexpanded shell set or Dean's set, don't do the glass fix. Actually I wouldn't use that idea for any high quality shell. For anything good, or anything silver, I would call the coin gaffer, and ask for help.
If you take an unexpanded shell set, or Dean's set, and shake it in a glass you may lock it into the shell even more. Those sets use an unexpanded shell and milled down insert coins. When you shake them in a glass you actually bend the edges of the shell around the edges of the cut down coin and really lock it in.
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
Be careful with the glass idea. There was an example of a badly damaged shell on Todd's website which he received for repair. It was damaged when the customer used the glass idea to separate a coin stuck in a shell. It might be okay for cheaper shells, but not for gaffs with a really precision fit.
lithyem
View Profile
Veteran user
San Diego, CA
306 Posts

Profile of lithyem
Shaking a gaff coin vigorously in a glass is essentially banging it all around the edges... you are going to bend INWARD the the edges that you want to straighten outward. Physics wins here... don't do it.
KarstenMeyerhoff
View Profile
New user
Germany
92 Posts

Profile of KarstenMeyerhoff
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2005, John Born wrote:
WAIT!!!!

Please do not use pliers, as the square tip will further bend your shell out of shape. The coin may be able to go back into the shell after you do this, but you are still making it worse.

DO THIS!!!

Get a magician's silk and a half dollar (assuming you have a half dollar shell). Place the silk over the half dollar, and then nest the shell onto the half dollar. Squeeze them together. This will automatically bend the outside of the shell out, so that it will precisely and freely nest over the coin. You will still maintain the quality and shape of the shell. Depending on the thickness/mumy of the silk, you may need to double it over. To release, simply pull the silk tight and both the shell and coin will separate. This is by far the best solution!!!

John B. Born

My gast is flabbered! I was highly skeptical, but this worked like a charm even on a Morgan-Dollar-replica and the corresponding shell, both of which are
made from a very hard metal (some sort of brass?). It didn't work using a silk, though, but as soon as I turned to a normal handkerchief made from cotton,it
very well did. I pressed the coin into the [ with the handkerchief in between and let it sit for half an hour, then popped it off by pulling the handkerchief apart:
Et voilá! Thanks for the advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Shell problem... (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL