We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to go now? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
I have read through and got bored of Corinda. Where to go now?
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
I would suggest you watch Richard Osterlind's Easy to Master Mental Miracles to see how effective the classic effects in Corinda and other older publications really are.
Gordon Fisher
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
193 Posts

Profile of Gordon Fisher
You read and got bored of it? I think the next step is to sell it to someone and go find something else to study, perhaps origami
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
You could try another classic called Annemann's Practical Mental Effects"...if you'd like something more up to date...try any of Mr.Osterlinds material. You can't go wrong with either of them. (how can you get bored of Tony Corinda ?)

~Rick~
ninjaduffy
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
332 Posts

Profile of ninjaduffy
Staples
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1053 Posts

Profile of sbays
I second buying ETMMM from Osterlind. He uses the classics to demonstrate just how powerful they are. IMO "Tervil","Question & the Answer", and "Fourth Dimensional Telepathy" are worth far more than the cost of the DVD set, or the books for that matter.

I would also suggest The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, as this is one of the best reads on Mentalism there is I feel.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Dan84,
I'm no big name pro but I would say if you read the bible and got bored try rereading it and if it is still boring try collecting stamps or something to keep you busy because this is probably not the HOBBY for you.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
hemisphere
View Profile
New user
Chicago, IL
39 Posts

Profile of hemisphere
Instead of more reading...try applying what you've read. Build a routine. Try it in the real world. I've been amazed that in addition to being interesting reading...you can also *use* the material! Unbelievable!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Optimists have more fun.....
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
I am a card man really and I just think that Corinda is a bit dated. I think I will stick with cards then. Thanks
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
769 Posts

Profile of London
Dan,
A lot of the Corinda stuff is dated..I will agree however it is a foundation on which to build. It is up to us as artist to learn all we can about our craft and use it in a modern way. Yes it is dated , but with a little thought and effort on your part it can be worked on and made very modern. Pick out one thing in the book that was of some interest to you. Think about it , tear it apart , put it back together, try it , think about it some more and the more you tear it apart and remove the bad points and replace them with your own ideas you will really have something special. Good luck
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-02-13 17:13, sbays wrote:
I second buying ETMMM from Osterlind. He uses the classics to demonstrate just how powerful they are. IMO "Tervil","Question & the Answer", and "Fourth Dimensional Telepathy" are worth far more than the cost of the DVD set, or the books for that matter.

I would also suggest The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy, as this is one of the best reads on Mentalism there is I feel.

Osterlinds' ETMM is a great introduction to Annemann. You can, for a rather low price get Annemanns' "The Jinx" on CD ROM, or in hard copy form. Although written in the 1920/30s, as Osterlind shows on his DVD set, these routines can be easily updated for the 21st Century. Strivings' also did a video on Annemanns works.

Bob Cassidy, Becker, Earle, Buch, are four men that you might want to seriously consider reading. Cassidy's "Mental Miracles" DVD was the first thing I bought and used four routines in an audition I had with the Coventry Magic Circle.

I like his style as well as the fact that the effects he writes about, some of which are in the new book, use materials at hand. Max Maven also has four DVDs and his colour books are well worth the expence, although they too have been re-released.

Concerning the "13 Steps", look at it as a reference/textbook rather than a book of routines. I place it in the same catagory as Rowlands' "Full Facts" book which is itself, IMO, a great textbook on the art of cold reading.

What amazes me more times than not, is how much I know that I don't know...
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Where to go now? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL