The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
Just outside parts unknown.
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Ok all, now don’t get me wrong, I too own the complete Star Wars collection, however I don’t really see the big deal about them. Now sure the special effects are cool and all, but I mean I know several people that can name everything about Star Wars. But I just cannot see the fascination.

Another big deal that I must be missing the point of is Star Trek, Now I have watched this show a few times too, but again I must be missing something because it just doesn’t do anything for me.

Now I know that we have some hard-core Star fans in here, and I would like to hear your opinion on which is better and why? I guess I’m just not seeing something that everyone else is seeing. Smile

Looking forward: to seeing the posts about this. Smile

This is your life and its ending one minute at a time - Fight Club
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
4745 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey Magicman,

movies and television shows are like books, not everyone enjoys the same ones. Pretty simple I would say.

While I’m no expert, my magical knowledge is quite extensive. I have friends that enjoy a trick now and again, but do not see what I’m so obsessed about. From their point of view: ’Sure I like magic, but everyday? I just don’t understand you Steve’

See the simple analogy? To each his own.

And hey, if it doesn’t do anything for you, do not torture yourself by watching it.

By the way, I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars. Of course, I like science fiction anyway. Smile

Life is not a problem to be solved...

but a mystery to be lived.
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Steve of course I had the logic going into this post, I mean I'm a super huge wrestling fan, and of course not everyone likes it. I'm just trying to gain some Star insight if ya know what I mean.

Smile Smile
You'll wonder when I'm coming, you'll wonder even more when I'm gone. - Max Malini
Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas,TX
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
I'm a huge fan of both. I think I became a bigger Star Wars fan because it was more collectible so I was drawn further into it. That's the only reason I could offer as to why I prefer it.

As to why I enjoy it so much, I think it's the expanse of it. You would be hard pressed to find another movie that has spawned a complete universe unto itself. Lucas has kept his thumb on every aspect of its creation, from the games to the novels to make a consistant and unbroken chain of characters and events.

It might have alot to do with certain age groups as well. I find alot of people who were seven-year-olds when it was first released got sucked in. How could you not? There are not many movies I really recall seeing from a childhood memory stand point. I can't remember the theater I saw Jaws in. But I still remember walking back to the car with my Dad and my brother after Star Wars. Smile
Yakworld.
Magicman0323
View Profile
Special user
713 Posts

Profile of Magicman0323
Thats a good memory to have, I remember my first trip to the ocean after watching Jaws. I was the only one brave enough (dumb enough) to dive into the waves without a second thought. Smile
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Star Wars - one of the greatest tales ever to be told.

It is simply the ultimate story, you’ve got action, drama, comedy, romance all rolled into one.

But Star Trek - the next generation, I am addicted to.

The intricate and entertaining plots never cease to entertain me.

I can see why people wouldn’t find them interesting, I suppose, when I first watched Star Wars my initial response was,

"What’s all the fuss about?"

Then I realized you have to go deeper.

Look beneath the surface to the message it contains for all of us - be nice.

Gonz Smile

"Always remove the deck from its case before attempting a shuffle."

- Paul Harris
Hello.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In comparing the two, Star Trek is much, much better because in Star Wars they solve their problems by fighting whereas in TREK they solve problems by peaceful and mutual cooperation.
rawdawg
View Profile
Special user
Southern California
685 Posts

Profile of rawdawg
Star Wars is cooler because that particular universe is filled with card cheats.
One time, when I was young, I botched a sleight so bad, Vernon, Marlo & Miller rolled over in their graves. But I didn't see Elmsley, probably because he was behind the others.
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Choose your comparison standard, and you'll find the Trek vs. Wars battle has been fought many a time on the net.

Just for fun:
Ship size comparison
Enterprise-D encounters the Death Star
Star Wars vs Star Trek in Five Minutes
The only truly correct answer

Quote:
On 2008-06-18 20:17, Orville_Smith wrote:
In comparing the two, Star Trek is much, much better because in Star Wars they solve their problems by fighting whereas in TREK they solve problems by peaceful and mutual cooperation.

Of course they do. Remember, Star Wars happened a long, long, time ago, while Star Trek takes place roughly 400 years from now.
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Obviously the death star would beat up the borg cube, duh...
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Star Trek started as a 60's TV show and did not really have the immediate popular impact that Star Wars did.

Trek was production line TV. Small screen. Broadcast TV before everyone had color sets and when reception could be iffy. And for the big money-spending demographic of the day, TV was "just TV." It's popularity grew slowly, mostly after it had gone out of production. Many, many more TV watchers were still watching stuff like Bonanza or the Beverly Hillbillies.

Star Wars was a big screen film with the latest special effects at a time when going to the movies was still a pretty big deal. The money-spending demographic was getting younger and this summer blockbuster captured their imaginations in a way few movies had at that time. People in their teens and twenties were lining up to see it over and over.

And even today, when both have longstanding devotees, I think Star Wars has probably far outearned Star Trek.

And nobody in Trek ever came close to the stardom that Harrison Ford built out of Star Wars.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Knowledge without responsibility - and some admiration from others who confuse trivia with wisdom or pertinent knowledge.

Besides - everybody wants to wear boots with their pajamas and watch billions suffer as one guy does a bad job of working out his oedipal complex.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I like "Trek" and "Wars," but then, I liked "Blake's 7!"
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

There's discussion of bringing Blake's 7 back for a couple of episodes/movies.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
They were supposed to bring Paul Darrow back as well, but the negotions fell through. Apparently, he didn't like where the storyline was going.
Ain't life unkind?"
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2486 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
While I like both, the constant fighting and gunboat diplomacy of Wars takes a back seat to my love of the hope and "thinking man" solutions often encountered in trek.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

I like trek, but can escape the way it presumes capitalism will go away and the communists will win as per Marx - note the Red uniforms of command and the arguments about "inevitability" of their agenda - barring conquest by the less fashion conscious Borg or the Shapeshifter collective which gave up any sense of corporeal individuality or interference by the Q which have gotten bored and look for distractions.

Nobody gonna stick up for the Dune model or that described in Frank Herbert's BuSab stories (Dosadi Experiment, Whipping Star, Tactful Saboteur) or ... how about Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space vision of the future?

Maybe it's all about those boots and pajamas?
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-06-19 22:26, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
I like trek, but can escape the way it presumes capitalism will go away and the communists will win as per Marx - note the Red uniforms of command

Um, geek moment here. Command wears "gold" (which appeared green in some photographs). Science wears "blue" (Spock and McCoy) and Ships Services wore "red" (Uhura and Scotty.)

Oh wait! You're talking "Next Generation" aren't you?

Quote:
and the argumetns about "inevitability" of their agenda - barring conquest by the less fashion conscious Borg or the Shapeshifter collective which gave up any sense of corporeal individuality or interference by the Q which have gotten bored and look for distractions.

Nobody gonna stick up for the Dune model or that described in Frank Herbert's BuSab stories (Dosadi Experiment, Whipping Star, Tactful Saboteur) or ... how about Alastair Reynold's Revelation Space vision of the future?

Maybe it's all about those boots and pajamas?

...and tiny little mini-skirts!
Ain't life unkind?"
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
First of all, don't forget that in the original Star Trek, red shirts were meant to be killed off rather quickly under Kirk's command.

Kirk: Crewman, there's a strange anomaly over there. Go check it out

Crewman: Yes, Sir! (walks to where the anomaly is) Captain, I'm getting some unusual readings that appear to be moving in this direction...AARGHHH!!!

All joking aside, Star Trek and Star Wars were products of their times.

Star Trek was first created in the era of Vietnam, the hippie movement, and civil unrest. It was a show that strived to show humanity at a stage where people worked together for the greater good and in harmony with the technology that we had created. It also tried to address the issues of the day in a way that was relevent. An interesting trick in light of censorship rules at the time. Ironically, the original Star Trek was one of the most "politically correct" shows of its day, but CBS Distribution, in an effort to "modernize" the series, not only bumped up the special effects, but tried to make it more "politically correct" by removing some of the "racial" statements from the show, which were relevent at the time the series was first aired.

As for Star Wars, the big draw, besides the incredible special effects of the time, was the fact that people wanted, even ached, to connect with something greater than themselves. Another great example of this was the following that developed around the book "Jonathan Livingston Seagull." The concept of "the force" and the movie's use of truly heroic and evil characters and myths that were larger than life were great draws for many.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Scott Cram
View Profile
Inner circle
2677 Posts

Profile of Scott Cram
Quote:
On 2008-06-20 00:57, clynim wrote:
First of all, don't forget that in the original Star Trek, red shirts were meant to be killed off rather quickly under Kirk's command.

Kirk: Crewman, there's a strange anomaly over there. Go check it out

Crewman: Yes, Sir! (walks to where the anomaly is) Captain, I'm getting some unusual readings that appear to be moving in this direction...AARGHHH!!!

It did get to be a bit predictable when Kirk, Spock, McCoy and "Ensign Ricky" (whom you've never seen before) would beam down to a planet. Gee, which one do you think is going to be killed?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.65 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL