The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
kidmagician9999
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of kidmagician9999
Quote:
On 2008-07-14 20:12, Orville_Smith wrote:
The mention of Carrie Sue\'s uniform made me recall an item from the news about twenty years ago about a TREK fan who is a dentist in real life. When he goes to work as a dentist,he always dresses up in a Star Trek uniform. As I recall, also his assistants wear Star Trek uniforms.

I heard about this guy too... Isn\'t his whole office decorated like the bridge of the Enterprise?
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
He didn't exactly do his office like the bridge, but he went out to a sci-fi collectible's shop and put a whole bunch of memorabilia in his office.

It's called Starbase Dental (http://www.starbasedental.com), although I don't know if the staff still wear the uniforms since Dr. Dennis Bourguignon doesn't seem to be there anymore.

See the family and their story in this clip from the documentary film "Trekkies":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHhMNGhcwMo

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Thanks,Carrie Sue, for the link. That was fun. Still about Trek uniforms, I also recall about a lady fan who had to report for jury-duty. You guessed it,she attended it in a Trek uniform. Thing about it,though,is that the Judge chastised her, reprimanded her. I guess the Judge considered it a mockery of the court, maybe even contempt of court, I don't know exactly. But the lady had to come back in "normal" attire. I find the reprimand a bit too harsh, but I guess I'm biased since I'm a Star Trek fan.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Actually, as I understood it, she was on the jury with no problems until she spoke to the press about why she was wearing a Star Trek uniform. As there had been a "gag order" on the jury, she was considered in violation of it and tossed off. She thought the "gag order" only had to do with speaking about the case (which would make sense) but I guess not.

She shows up in "Trekkies," along with the dentist. She works in a printing company and mentions in the documentary that they'd tried to call her by a nickname that she found objectionable. They asked her what nickname _wouldn't_ be objectionable and she mentioned that she was Commander of Star Fleet so there really couldn't be a nickname for a commander... now they call her "Commander" and she accepts that!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
R2 D2 was a far superior robot to Data, obviously!

Funny: Mad TV on Star Wars
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Quote:
R2 D2 was a far superior robot to Data, obviously!

R2D2 was a robot, Data was an android. The irony was that Data's brain was a positronic matrix, which is directly out of Asimov's robot series.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Man, I cannot believe the lies and outright FALSEHOODS that are being perpetrated on the members of the magic Café! Case in point:
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 14:04, clynim wrote:
The irony was that Data's brain was a positronic matrix, which is directly out of Asimov's robot series.
In fact, the only person in the whole of ST: TNG to even mention that Asimov and the Positronic Brain together was Tasha Yar -whom everyone knows was an idiot and is glad she was killed off in season three.

Neither Dr. Noonien Soong or Data's "mother" Julianna Soong Tainer, or even Lore or B-4 make ANY mention of Asimov throughout the entire run of Next Generation. And these are people who would know better than Tasha. OK ?!?!

Also, Data is totally capable of breaking the 3 laws if he so chooses -so there!

You should read some of my Slash Fiction about this sometime.

CHECK YOUR FACTS! Man, some people need to get a life!
*due to The Magic Cafe's editorial policies, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Orville...I think you have your films crossed...Fiend Without A face involved little Brains with Spinal Chords (used as arms etc.) that were stop motion animated, invisible till the end of the movie and lived in the trees till they broke in the house and became visible when they craweled around sucking the brains out of the cast till they were shot and turned to apple sauce...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 19:58, Doug Higley wrote:
Orville...I think you have your films crossed...Fiend Without A face involved little Brains with Spinal Chords (used as arms etc.) that were stop motion animated, invisible till the end of the movie and lived in the trees till they broke in the house and became visible when they craweled around sucking the brains out of the cast till they were shot and turned to apple sauce...

Well, Doug, I think it was because my phraseology was too loose, as far as using the word "tentacles." Also, no less a celebrity than Forrest Ackerman had included "Fiend Without A Face" in an issue of FAMOUS MONSTERS magazine which featured an article on all the so-called "blob" movies. In that blob list, Ackerman included not only the Blob but also the following:

the H-man
the Green Slime
the Creeping Unknown
Caltiki the Immortal

Ackerman had listed more than that, but I forgot them because I lost the issue which comes from the latter 1960s.

For myself, I could even make another addition if we can include TV, because in the OUTER LIMITS (60s version) were two blob-type episodes, THE INVISIBLES and THE PROBE.

Also, Doug,since you mentioned about the aliens attacking the human brain, it now reminds of a short story written by the famous FRANK BELKNAP LONG about a blob-type alien entering a human brain. At the moment,I don't recall the title but I would enjoy reading that story again.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 19:43, gaddy wrote:
Man, I cannot believe the lies and outright FALSEHOODS that are being perpetrated on the members of the magic Café! Case in point:
Quote:
On 2008-07-19 14:04, clynim wrote:
The irony was that Data's brain was a positronic matrix, which is directly out of Asimov's robot series.
In fact, the only person in the whole of ST: TNG to even mention that Asimov and the Positronic Brain together was Tasha Yar -whom everyone knows was an idiot and is glad she was killed off in season three.

Neither Dr. Noonien Soong or Data's "mother" Julianna Soong Tainer, or even Lore or B-4 make ANY mention of Asimov throughout the entire run of Next Generation. And these are people who would know better than Tasha. OK ?!?!

Well, having mentioned it once, they didn't have to beat us about the head with it every episode. However the use of the word "positronic" in dealing with Data's brain is the clincher.

Quote:
Also, Data is totally capable of breaking the 3 laws if he so chooses -so there!

It does look like it was a major stretch for him to break 1st law. (There was an episode where he appeared to have fired a phaser at the bad guy just before being beamed back to the Enterprise... but it doesn't look like it was easy for him.)

Quote:
You should read some of my Slash Fiction about this sometime.

I'll pass thank you. If you've done the scene between Yar and Data, I might reconsider.

Quote:
CHECK YOUR FACTS! Man, some people need to get a life!

Reality is a crutch for people who can't handle science fiction.

Did we ever get anywhere on that tentacle movie?
Ain't life unkind?"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7409 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Can anyone tell me about the new Clone Wars movie (animated) coming to theatres in August? Is it the same Clone Wars that was shown a while back on teletoon (those were a bunch of animated shorts, shown like a serial)? (The answer is probably on one of the sites... I just haven't had the time to find it yet.)

I found the trailer on the Apple website today, accidently stumbling across it.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/starwarstheclonewars/

http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/site/index.html

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
I like both.
Overall Star Trek is about the human condition; Star Wars is about action.
I prefer Doctor Who over both of them though... it's got EVERYTHING.
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Well if you really want to take Asimov's three seriously - and keeping in mind that to machines we are slow, stupid, dirty and only good for rationalizing mistakes - you wind up with the premise of the Matrix where "The Architect" and "The Oracle" are our preferred Zeus and Hera (or Athena).
...to all the coins I've dropped here
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 14:32, Doctor Xombie wrote:
I like both.
Overall Star Trek is about the human condition; Star Wars is about action.
I prefer Doctor Who over both of them though... it's got EVERYTHING.

At it's best, Doctor Who is the best of the lot. At it's worst, it's still better than most.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Gaddy, have you met the DoctorDonna yet?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Dragging this back to Star Wars, I'm watching The Family Guy episode of "Blue Harvest" right now!
Ain't life unkind?"
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3149 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2008-07-20 19:29, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Gaddy, have you met the DoctorDonna yet?

I Hereby Hijack This Thread In The Name Of Gallifrey!!!

haven't seen the 4th series yet...

I really hate the Sci-Fi channel!
Doctor Xombie
View Profile
Regular user
FL (formerly Planet X)
109 Posts

Profile of Doctor Xombie
Quote:
On 2008-07-21 00:21, gaddy wrote:

I Hereby Hijack This Thread In The Name Of Gallifrey!!!

Great jumping gobstoppers! I think he's serious!
-Roger "The Doctor"

Doctor Xombie & Roger Boyes -Author
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Jelly babies, I don't know that the Doctor ever ate "gobstoppers," everlasting or not.
Ain't life unkind?"
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Overlapping both Star Trek and Mentalism is the strange oddity that when the mentalist the Amazing Kreskin was popular, he was occasionally mistaken in public for the Trek actor Leonard Nimoy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL