The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Dr Who overlapped with mentalism with the theme of "psychic paper" last few years.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Just heard the news that the new Star Trek movie will be directed by J.J. Abrams. What makes me apprehensive is that Abrams is Not a Star Trek fan but more of a Star Wars fan and will be making Trek more of a Star Wars type of film. Terrible. This will spoil the Trek movie because Trek always centered on philosophy. So to make it like Star Wars will spoil Star Trek. Having a marked preference for Trek as I do, that advance news makes me feel very apprehensive.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27106 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2008-10-23 20:58, Orville_Smith wrote:
Just heard the news that the new Star Trek movie will be directed by J.J. Abrams. ...

The guy said he was interested in doing this project three years ago and the film was set to go into the theaters for the holidays this year. Okay now here's a scary one ... Harry Potter was postponed from Thanksgiving to next summer Smile Smile

Anyway let's see what sort of secrets and stuff J. J. Abrams brings to the story and how well he relaunches the franchise. Who knows, maybe Kirk has father issues and the rest bring baggage to work out as well.

for more ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_(film)

Okay - now for some good news... it's not a Joel Schumacher re-envisioning of the show. Cringe. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Despite my initial hesitancy, I went to see the premiere of the new Star Trek (prequel). As expected, it turned out as an Uncomfortable combination of both Star Wars and Star Trek, but despite my ambivalence, pleased me. Stylistically,it's Star Wars, but at its core,it's Trek. What especially struck a pleasing chord in me were the scenes on planet Vulcan. In other words, what was only hinted at in the television-series was actually shown in the movie. By that, I refer to the genesis of Spock's deep-seated resentment toward his human half, and its resultant inner conflict. In the scenes that touched me the most, Spock in his childhood is shown suffering the anguish of bullying and persecution for his half-human blood. This is the true genesis of Spock, what shaped him into the enduring and beloved character he was to become.
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
And then everything went to pot.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Star wars, hands down. I was a big fan of TNG, saw every show. But its still star wars for me. Though many of the direct shots in the film (the original) were stolen, and most of the plot adapted from myths (im not knocking lucas here, he would agree), it still rules.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1875 Posts

Profile of kcg5
Quote:
On 2009-05-16 06:07, Carrie Sue wrote:
And then everything went to pot.

Carrie

did Leonard start smoking?
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
My earliest exposure to sci-fi included films like "Gog," "Missle to the Moon," "It-The Terror from Beyond Space," and "The Man from Planet X," as well as chapters from "Zombies of the Stratosphere" (Republic's last 'rocket man' serial).

Later came things like "Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea" and "Lost in Space."

My favorites, though, were "The Outer Limits" and the early-60s British series, "H.G. Well's The Invisible Man."

Didn't get much into Trek, but was a first-nighter for Wars on a lark.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2008-06-21 12:57, Carrie Sue wrote:
I know!

I thought it was ALIEN for the longest time, but then I saw ALIEN, and well -- let's just say the dinner death scene traumatized me for a length of time. I can watch it now, because I know how it was done, but aack!

The other thing I remembered about Planet of the Vampires was that they carried guns that seemed to be held backwards, with what looked like the rifle stock on the front. Anyway, it was a much spookier film than I remembered it.

But as with all classic sci-fi, I enjoyed it.

There's another old sci-fi film that I only have images for, and maybe one of the other geeks on this board will remember the title for me.

It was an alien invasion story, I believe. The one image that is still in my head is of the lead alien calling a bunch of human (or humanoid) minions in for an audience, and I think a little kid was spying from behind a hidden tunnel in the wall or something.

Suddenly, the alien leader got angry with his minions for screwing up in some way, and one of his -- uh, appendages -- swung around and cut all their heads off in one stroke, swish! No blood spurts, though, and the camera quickly cut away to the kid turning away in horror.

My memory may be foggy, but if anyone can give me the name of this film, it'll be like the day I saw The Green Slime was going to be on TCM.

I know, I'm weird.

Carrie

I'm drawing a blank, too, though it sounds like some of the Japanese stuff.

Egad...Green Slime...special effects using Mattel's Major Matt Mason toys.

Here's a few to bring back memories better left forgotten:

"Creation of the Humanoids";
"Phantom Planet";
"The Brainiac" (aka "Baron of Terror")

On the plus side, TCM free movies on demand currently includes the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "I Married a Monster from Outer Space" and "Eyes Without a Face" (aka "Horror Chamber of Dr. Faustus").
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On 2009-05-16 19:28, kcg5 wrote:
I was a big fan of TNG, saw every show. But its still star wars for me. Though many of the direct shots in the film (the original) were stolen, and most of the plot adapted from myths (im not knocking lucas here, he would agree), it still rules.

As You Yourself said,"...most of the plot adapted from myths" (end of quote). In other words, Star Wars used Worn-out cliches. Remember,I quoted you. Contrast that with Trek which had so many bizarre and innovative ideas.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Star Wars And Star Trek (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL