The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cig Thru Quarter Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Like I said, I quit smoking and stopped doing it but its a great trick.

Tabman, don't let a little thing like quitting smoking stop you from doing the effect. Michael Rubinstein has a great method for non-smokers in his COIN-vention notes! I'm a smoker and I switched over to his routine...it's that good!!!

Mike
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5267 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Paul, thanks for the info about Don Alan.

For those adverse to using cigarettes, you can use other objects as Mike mentions, for example a crayon, a pencil, a rolled up bill, a feather...
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
Joshua Jay uses a small brush. It looks soooo magical!!!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
Benji Bruce
View Profile
Special user
930 Posts

Profile of Benji Bruce
Well lucky for me I have a biting quarter that is the newe style and an old quarter for the cig thru coin...usually I perform the pen thru quarter but if they give me a new quarter I will say "perfect I don't even need the pen" I just put the pen and coin away then I steal the biting coin and perform that effect...i don't specify which quarter I just ask for one and they are deciding which effect they will see:)
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
My bitten quarter is a state quarter (New York). Since you don't have to show the reverse for that effect, it's not a problem regardless of which state someone hands you. Of course, the opposite problem can occur. There are still millions of "old-style" quarters in circulation. I guess you just have to be flexible. If you get a quarter that's a different style than your gaff, you could always just bend it instead!
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4139 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
You might want to check out my Marked Bill Through Quarter effect, published in the June (I think) issue of Genii. It solves a lot of problems.
AT LAST - a NEW fun coins across!! MIGRATE is filled with laughs, magic, cool moves, lasts over 3 minutes, uses props, comes in a Poker Chip version or special Deluxe version with coins, and is about...BEARS!
https://youtu.be/gGjMtW1DLjA

Send inquiries to rubinsteindvm@aol.com

Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
I also use a half dollar and let them examine before and after. The half dollar is just easier for the audience to see. Especially big crowds. I also carry the gimmicked quarter just in case they pull out their own. Best case scenario is when they give me a quarter and a pen after doing it once with the half dollar.

In the case that I am handed a state quater, I do something bold. I back up to get distance and to blur clarity. Then I just do it with some motion. I don't hold it still so they never realize there is an eagle instead of a state picture. In the few times that I've had to do this I've never been called out on it. The quater really is small.

Miguel Rangel
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
810 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
I think that once they saw the cigarette going through the coin they forget looking for eagles, state pictures... You could have a coin with aunt Jemima on it and they would still look at the point the cigarette pierces the coin Smile !

Seriously now, I think that in the case you're given a coin noticeably different from yours you might want to take some distance explaining that the illusion works better that way. From a bit of a distance they can't notice the difference. On top of that they do concentrate on the fact a cigarette runs through a coin, they don't pay close attention to the coin itself. One might argue that this distance lessens the effect. Maybe. But I feel more secure doing this than rubbing a completely different coin under their nose.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 15:49, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
A guy named Jason has a cute handling for this Smile

He's on the Café.

I think you might mean me instead of Jason. If so here's the link to that discussion.

http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic......;forum=3

It doesn't help solve this problem because part of the coin is covered. It also helps take the heat off the quarter and the switch.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
JTW
View Profile
Special user
Florida
670 Posts

Profile of JTW
Nope I'm sure he meant me jaxon. See my "Who wants to be the Firebug" routine on my DVD called 'Tied'.
Cheers,
JTW
Alex Linian
View Profile
Inner circle
Peru
1277 Posts

Profile of Alex Linian
For an INVISIBLE switch of the coins Check out Garrett Thomas's "Any Questions" video. This will also be in his "Mind of Garrett Thomas" DVD's from L&L.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Cig Thru Quarter Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL