The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Color Changing Knives used by Bill Malone in his 'On The Loose' routine??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Profile of Richard Shippy
I have never performed color changing knives and Bill Malone was my first exposure to this type of effect. I was very impressed with his performance and like the spectator involvement. Could someone please let me know what type of color changing knives Bill uses in his routine??? A web link would be appreciated. They are Black and White but I wanted to make sure I got it right ones before placing an order. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Any of the basic 2 knife sets will work. It's up to you to decide how much money you want to spend on the knives.
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Go now to
Table hoppers & party strollers » » Help With a Color Changing Knife Routine.

You will get all the answers you need, and more.

Bob
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Rich:

Bill Malone uses the Mogar knives. Joe Mogar makes quite a few varieties, and you can purchase his knives from quite a few dealers. Here's a link directly to his site.

http://joemogar.tripod.com/index.html

Ron
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Thank you Ron, that is a great website! I'll go with the black and white for now and see how people like the knife routine. In your opinion, do spectators respond favorably to color changing knife routines? Just curious...

Thank you,
Rich
"They say that nobody is perfect. Then they tell you practice makes perfect. I wish they'd make up their minds." ~ Winston Churchill
steve j
View Profile
Special user
Long Island, New York
559 Posts

Profile of steve j
I think the whit hayden knives are a little similar in design if I remeber right.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
The stag type handles allow you to tell which knife you are pulling out of your pocket without having to look at them. This also allows you to bring it out right side up. I would get that set as you will like the trick and you will get them eventually. No sense spending twice.

Kirk
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Rich:

The color changing knives is a terrific effect; I like Bill Malone's routine very much, but I perform Daryl's routine (it's on his Fooler Doolers series). I personally use the Whit Haydn knives (made by Joe Mogar) because I can tell which side to bring into view when I take them out of my pocket - the Whit Haydn knives have a smooth white side, and a rough black side.

If you're planning on doing the knives, I would recommend the Mogar knives - they are just about the best I've seen. The quality is excellent.

Ron
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Rich,

The truth is you don't need to have a different texutre on one side of the knife to know what side of the knife to bring out facing the audience. A quick feel of the knife and blade will tell you just as easily which side of the knife is which. Do not let that be a determining factor in which knife you buy.

I have the Mogar "Perfect Knives", and they have the same feel on both sides, but I can reach into my pocket and know instantly which c***r is where.

Mark
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I would have to agree with chessman, but the surface texture is easier and quicker to detect. No memory or thinking required.

Kirk
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
561 Posts

Profile of fccfp
Mogar sets the standard for CC knives being manufactured today. Whit Hayden's knife sets are manufactured by Joe. The Stag handled knives are the ones that have the "textured feel" to them. They are not inexpensive. They are worth it, imhop.

Any inexpensive set of knives, usually based on the "Enardoe" design will serve to get you started. Those sets are available for around ten dollars plus or minus a bit. With very little practice you will learn to put the knives in your pocket the same way each time and have no problem pulling out the correct knife, the correct way up. If you really like the knives you may wish to "upgrade to the Mogar knives. If you can afford it, start with them. The Mogar knives are thinner and allow you to easily do some "cigarette" moves with them. This may or may not be important to you.

Michael Skinner's video from his "Master's Teach In Series" gives a good, simple, two knife routine. He uses a simple, "enardoe" style two knife set.

Whit Hayden's video teaches an excellent, commercial, routine that will take more work. Hayden also teaches you some of the more advanced moves. It is based on a three knife set that Mogar manufactures and sells. You can find it almost anywhere.

Mogar’s various knife sets come with different routines specific to the particular set. The book by R.D. Merrill, “Merrill’s Knife Book” is considered by many to be a “must have” for anyone who is serious about the knives. It was written in 1977. The book contains a lot of information about the theory and psychology behind the color changing knives. Merrill was considered by many to be among the best, if not the best, knife manipulator of his generation.

Daryl's set is also a two knife set with a very dramatic conclusion. Although I have not handled them yet myself, they are reported to be more difficult to handle than Mogar's. I imagine this may just be a question of getting used to them and practicing.

You will hear a lot of chatter about which set is better than the others. Mostly discussing sets that are no longer being manufactured and are not readily available. This would include the Merrill knives, Scotty York Knives, as well as Sander's and others. Don't let that affect your decision too much unless, like myself, you become addicted and want to start collecting various sets of knives. Most of us usually get a set that they like and stick with them.

Hope this helps,
Bruce
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Do the Mogar knives "lock" in the closed position? The set that I have does, and I like the "safety" feature. (Empire Magic)

I have used the Daryl set of knives, and they are harder to use IMO because they are much wider than the Mogar knives.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
No, Mogar's knives have no lock, exept for the backspring. But they're still among the best out there, and they come in all sizes, colours and combinations!

I have the same trouble with Daryl's set, mr. Muggle, they are too wide for me. I had to slightly "restructure" the routine to compensate for that... I managed to replace the standard-move with another form of turnover, from the book "Ascanio's World of Knives".

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks, its too bad- the locking feature is extreamly nice to have. I was just 'tiped' the idea on using it as a running gag during the routine- since the spectator isn't aware on the locking secret its a great 'bonus' to the routine.

MM
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The locking knife feature was used in a common con game that goes back way over a hundred years. Canada Bill Jones used it in George Devol's book, and Harry Anderson showed the scam in a great bit with Turk Pipkin on "Hello, Sucker."
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Interesting information Whit, do you know of any other sources on the locking knife feature? I have your tape, but don't recall anything in it regarding "locking" the knife. I’m not sure on the book's availability that you mentioned above, but I plan to get Harry Anderson's video to see what he has.

MM
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
"40 Years a Gambler on the Mississippi" by George Devol. Available in paperback. This is a con game, something that would probably take too much explanation to use in a performance, but an interesting conversation piece.

Harry Anderson and Turk Pipkin recreate the scam in a beach scene on Harry's wonderful television special "Hello, Sucker."
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Thanks for the information Whit; it will be a great addition to my library.

MM
Richard Shippy
View Profile
Special user
Scottsdale, Arizona
510 Posts

Wow, thank you all sooooooo much for this valuable information.
This is fantastic and extremely helpful. Bruce, I really appreciate your time to write such a detailed reply, thank you.

Does Whit have a video with the knife routine Bruce mentioned? Since I have only seen Bill Malone's routine it may be a good idea for me to see some more routines to get an idea on how powerful the knives are in performance.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,
Rich

Hello,

I went to the Joe Mogar website and the knives look very good. Unfortunately, I am not sure which Stag set is best. I would love to purchase a set of knives that could be used in different routines, once I am exposed to more than just Malone's routine. Below is the website I visited...

http://joemogar.tripod.com/index.html

I am thinking about purchasing one of the following knife sets.
Which would you recommend?

1. The Stag 3 knife set ~ "This set is now the standard and is being used wordwide. Everthing is good about these knives. They are used by Whit Haydn. Everyone who has them is in love with them. They are the Best... The set consists of a White knife, a Black knife, and a White/Black knife. Price is $75.00"

2. Stag Miracle Knives ~ "The Stag Miracle Knife Routine is a 4 knife routine with an extra Very Strong Effect at the start. The knife does a Visible Change and is then followed by the 3 knife routine. The set consists of the standard 3 knife set and an extra knife which has 1/2 white, 1/2 Stag on top and Stag on the bottom. Price is $100.00"

3. Stag Sensation ~ "The Stag Sensation has a wonderful finish as the last knife changes into a beautiful Rainbow Knife. It is a great surprise and an outstanding routine. It is Joe Mogar's Favorite. It has everything that a good knife routine should have. The set consists of the standard 3 knife Stag set plus a knife with Rainbow on top and White on the bottom...Price $105.00"
burgerinc
View Profile
Regular user
Sin City
196 Posts

Profile of burgerinc
The Mogar Knives are available on L&L. They have the 4 knife fantasy set for $75.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Color Changing Knives used by Bill Malone in his 'On The Loose' routine??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL