The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
About making money from mentalism.... Here's a little taster. My book is now printed, stacked, boxed and waiting to go – just waiting for reviews back from the copies that were sent out. This has all been organised by Ian Rowland, who has done a sterling job.

You ain’t going to get a copy just now, but just hang on, be patient, and they’ll be everywhere in the next few weeks.

But just so that here, on the Magic Café, you know before anybody else. It is NOT how to make millions form performing – it’s a working manual that, if followed step by step, will get you to a position where you can make enough income from your art to tell your boss where to stuff his job.

(There’s also loads about how to get an agent, how to write a press release, how to get a journalist in your pocket... and so on.) Bottom line? If just one person contacts me and says – thanks, Drew, I’ve packed in my job and now I’m doing what you are doing and enjoying every moment of it, then I’ll be a happy man indeed.

Best wishes,

Drew
bubbleburst2004
View Profile
Veteran user
370 Posts

Profile of bubbleburst2004
Sounds great Drew, look forward to reading it.

Can I ask, how long ago it was that you told your own boss to stuff it??

bb
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
Quote:
...they’ll be everywhere in the next few weeks...

Drew,

I read about your book at Ian's website, and have been looking forward to it ever since he announced it. I assumed that it would exclusively be available from him (like the other products he has released). Is your book being distributed more widely?
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Hi everybody,
This post is really interesting and I really surprised to see it because I just finished my final year exam few days ago,and ready to kiss off my career as a mentalist/psychic entertainer.I am doing BSc Biotechnology,but I decided to give a try to be a performer.My ultimate goal is to get back to Malaysia and have my own shows something like Derren Brown's.
Meanwhile,i am wondering how to kick off my career and as someone around might have known that I am doing mentalist table hopping for 45 tables in a student summer ball (Uni of Nottingham) for 200 pounds (2 hours).So,any agent or entertainment planner around?I am ready to go!

MagoStevo
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
... I'm still learning, but intially my plans are on charging nothing - just for the practise.....
With Corporates you can charge what you like ( unless it's Rover Cars of course ), but with dinner parties etc., I might say, I'll charge what you think I was worth ...... !
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 12:22, Chris Jones wrote:
In my job I get stressed sometimes and if I was very stressed I would go to somebody like Ian to releiev me.

Quote:
On 2005-02-18 14:38, Ian Broadmore wrote:
why not blow your own trumpet??

I don't think we have to worry about how he gets his salary, now.
ThomasBerger
View Profile
Special user
593 Posts

Profile of ThomasBerger
Drew has the absolute best Press Release material I have ever seen.
Legendary promotional stuff.

I would love to get any book you write in my hot and sweaty little hands!

Tom
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Jeez, you guys – I’m flattered by the attention./ I didn’t expect that. The books are stacked and waiting at the distributors, but we are waiting for the reviews to come back from various “names” in our business.

Let me just answer a few of the things that have come up in the last few postings (I was going to wait until the book/manual was actually being shipped, but what the hey...)

Bb asked: “Can I ask, how long ago it was that you told your own boss to stuff it?”

More than fifteen years ago. I worked as a mortgage advisor, but I was writing short stories. I sat down and worked out an A-B-C-D method that would get me, not just published, but published far and wide. That activity also drew me into journalism and reviewing for the newspapers –as well as writing articles.... By following the plan, I had stories being published all over the world.

Well, I decided to do the same with mentalism – (I have to say it’s a LOT easier than making money from writing!) Now I have my own offices... No, I’m not making a million, And I have no wish to make a million (too much hard work!) But I go to my office when I like. I come home when I like. If it’s a nice day, I go off and play in the hills with my paraglider. It’s a wonderful life. (My office cleaner once said that when he dies he wants to come back as me! Well, me too.) And the thing is, guys, it’s there for the taking. It really is.

Chaldean asked: “I read about your book at Ian's website, and have been looking forward to it ever since he announced it. I assumed that it would exclusively be available from him (like the other products he has released). Is your book being distributed more widely?”

Only from Ian. Ian has been superb at organising all the complicated stuff like pricing, distributorship, printing, publication, reviews... I just wrote it. I have agreed that Ian should have sole distributorship – he deserves it, and is a stickler for doing things right. (Unfortunately his web site isn’t working at the moment – through no fault of his own – so he is scurrying about trying to get it up and running. He’s not even receiving any e-mails because they are all through the site! How frustrating is THAT?)

Mago: “you said: Meanwhile,i am wondering how to kick off my career and as someone around might have known that I am doing mentalist table hopping for 45 tables in a student summer ball (Uni of Nottingham) for 200 pounds (2 hours).So,any agent or entertainment planner around?I am ready to go! “

Don’t tell us. Tell an agent. Unfortunately, you have already agreed a fee, so no agent is going to start writing contracts and negotiationg. However, the next time you are offered a gig, get the organiser’s card and tell him that you “have somebody who looks after your diary.” Then call an agent, explain that you’ve been doing gigs and you’ve just been offered another one... would he like to handle it for you at his usual fee? You bet he will! You’ve just offered him “free” money! And that’s it, you have an agent. In other words, pass them work FIRST.

Piers: you said “... I'm still learning, but intially my plans are on charging nothing - just for the practise..... With Corporates you can charge what you like ( unless it's Rover Cars of course ), but with dinner parties etc., I might say, I'll charge what you think I was worth ...... !”

Woah – please don’t do a THING until you’ve read the book. Charging nothing is a fool’s errand. Firstly, you mess it up for the pros if people can get somebody for nothing. (And you don’t want somebody doing that to you when YOU’RE a pro, do you?

Secondly, you devalue yourself and your abilities – if you work for nothing, that’s exactly what they’ll think you’re worth – and that’s exactly how they’ll treat you. I would love to go into this further (there is a way of working for nothing and yet NOT working for nothing in the book) but there is neither space nor time here. Do NOT work for nothing. Never. Ever. (Unless you are using the methos outlined in the manual).You deserve more than that.

Tom, thank you for your very kind words. Actually, writing a press release is not that difficult - once you know what the editor is looking for. And there is an even easier way... Yes, it's in the manual. I'm just so excited about this. When you read how to get stuff into the newspapers, you're going to slap yourself on the forhead with delight. You see, what we do is just so saleable - and our marketplace is... everybody!

The only people who don't realise this truth is... us

Best wishes,

Drew
jasper
View Profile
Regular user
189 Posts

Profile of jasper
I, too, am very interested in this book. I've been making money from magic for a while but it an't my full time job! I've never had the balls to make a break to full time! But desperately want to!
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
--Albert Einstein
The Gentleman
View Profile
Regular user
SCOTCHLAND
102 Posts

Profile of The Gentleman
This does sound like a fantastic project; Absolute Magic has made me want to take the plunge, and I wholeheartedly await this book.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Jasper, it doesn't take balls! It takes a carefully laid out scheme - a series of 1-2-3 steps that will lead you from where you are to where you want to be. It's logical and engineered.

Don’t worry, I can assure you that when you get the manual, if you follow each and every one of the steps without jumping ahead or missing anything out (and it’s not difficult) you can very quickly reach the point where your letter of resignation lands on your boss’s desk (just avoid the temptation to land it there via window and tied to a brick!)

I am incredibly excited by this project. Because I KNOW I’m goingto get letters from people saying “I did it. I’m making a living wage from my magic.” That’s all I want or need, because I know the thrill of being in this position. And I know how easy it is if you know the rules!

Drew
durhamkid
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of durhamkid
Hello Drew

I think this book will be extremely valuable to many people considering this lifechanging decision. In my own experience the "risk" was the unknown factor and the financial constraints and this paralysed me for several stressful years. If, as you say, your book has a detailed action plan of exactly how to go about the transition and the pitfalls to avoid then I think it will reassure many. I've never regretted the move and I'm positive that you will get many people who will write to you with their success stories. Good luck with the book and I will be in the queue to buy it along with the others.

Regards
Terry
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
I look forward to Mr. McAdams book. too. It's about time: a complete treaty on this subject. And whilst we're talking about money, Derren Brown's 45 mins corporate gig.how much? £20,000, yes twenty grand.
durhamkid
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of durhamkid
Magic In Mind

Nice work if you can get it! We've had all price ranges now - free, £250, £750 and £20,000. I suppose it gives us all a scale on which to rate ourselves. It reminds me of an old joke by The Two Ronnies (apologies to US members who may not be familiar with this comedy duo). "If I was Rockefeller I'd be richer than Rockefeller because I'd have a window cleaning round on the side." There's a moral for us all. So if Derren's watching - I'm sure there's a newsagent in Bristol with a delivery job going spare.

Terry
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Terry, I'm glad to see someone who is into mentalism with a good sense of humour which is to me, sadly lacking in the art.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1350 Posts

Profile of Colin
Drew had allowed me to read a few of the chapters as he was writting the book, and also to try out the steps. THEY WORK!

I need say no more than that. Drew is Scotland's top working mentalist, and he is already travelling all over the world to perform now. If he is doing it, it really makes you think, why can't you?

As you'll read in the book, Drew has a unique skill of wanting to do something (as impossible as it may seem) then devising a system for doing it. What he is sharing with you is the system of how to get yourself established as a mentalist (or magician) and tell your boss where to stick his job.

I don't think I can say fairer than that! Feel free to ask away though!

Col.
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Colin, you little minx. I'm blushing now.

Don't listen to him, folks - he's a stooge!

Best wishes,

Drew
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
I have to back all this up, I'm one of the few that has read it... It's just brilliant. I can't see how this system can fail. I will definitely earn more money from my mentalism soon, Im sure! When its out.. GET IT!

//Daniel Young
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Drewmcadam,
Thanks for your advice,since my ball is at 3rd June,so where can I get an agent to talk about this paid gig,any agent recommended?where can I find one?yellow pages?
Meanwhile,please keep us informed about your book,i am more than interested!Is your book especially applicable to UK performer?coz my initial plan is to stay here for 1 year or so (as my visa allows me),and then going back to Malaysia!
I appreciate the content in this topic!Keep this up!

MagoStevo
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1350 Posts

Profile of Colin
I don't see any reason why this system couldn't be applied to anyone in any country.

The book is incredibly well written so that all you need to do is go through it and do each step systematically and you'll be on your may to making money!!

The only things you need are this book, the right personality, and your effects.

Best Wishes,
Colin Mcleod
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL