The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
Drew,

I was browsing Ian R.'s website and found his page about you:

http://www.ianrowland.com/Profiles/ProfDrewMcAdam.html

Ian writes: "He is also the author of 'Making Money From Magic', which is the definitive guide to turning magic from a hobby or interest into a way of earning serious money." Is this same book Ian's publishing? I wasn't 100% certain because on the News page where mentions that he's coming out with your book, he doesn't give a title. I was expecting "mentalism" to be in the title, but from a marketing standpoint it must make more sense to have a book out which appeals to a wider audience. (I just get disappointed when I pick up a book on magic and find that mentalism gets so few pages devoted to it. From everything you--and the early readers--have said, this book sounds like it will far different from what has come before. I promise that no matter what's it's called, I will buy it as soon as it becomes available!)

One more question: Drew, are there any videos or DVDs around of you performing or lecturing? That's something else I'm interested in. Cheers!

--C.
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
Ian you're such a big man, obviously well doted, thanks for bragging gosh wish we could all be like you. A million congratulations.
Daffyd
View Profile
New user
Llandewi Breffi
87 Posts

Profile of Daffyd
Quote:
On 2005-05-29 02:26, DMC wrote:
Ian you're such a big man, obviously well doted, thanks for bragging gosh wish we could all be like you. A million congratulations.

Agreed. Ian is my hero and I will strive to be like him in every way. He is a true inspiration to all in the world of mentalism.
"The layman is such an idiot." salsa_dancer
durhamkid
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of durhamkid
Ian Rowland is a gentleman and a great thinker and intellectual (although modesty might prevent him from acknowledging this himself). I've only corresponded with him once and that was to commend him on his "Mind Power: Fact,Fiction and Fakery" tape which I had just purchased. However in his reply to me he was both gracious and welcoming. His advice (as is evident from his website) was extremely sound and "no nonsense" in style and he has opinions which have been forged from a wealth of experience and comprehensive reading and learning. He definitely seems to be a "bon viveur" with a dry sense of humour and his website has many fascinating aspects to it. If Ian Rowland recommends something and furthermore, gives of his time to a project then I'm sure it will be valuable.

Regards
Terry
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Dear terry I don't think the obove posts were aimed at ian rowland,i think they were aimed at another ians posts.
durhamkid
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of durhamkid
Oops !

Apologies to all. Thanks for pointing this out Magic In Mind. It was the link to Ian R's site in Chaldean's post that led me to believe that they were talking about his involvement in Drew McAdam's book.

Regards
Terry
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Chaldean says: "Is this same book Ian's publishing? I wasn't 100% certain because on the News page where mentions that he's coming out with your book, he doesn't give a title."

Yes, it is.

He goes on: "I was expecting "mentalism" to be in the title, but from a marketing standpoint it must make more sense to have a book out which appeals to a wider audience. (I just get disappointed when I pick up a book on magic and find that mentalism gets so few pages devoted to it."

It IS annoying, isn’t it? It was originally intended purely for mentalists, then I realised that everything that was said actually applies to magicians, too. Hence the title. You will actually find that as a mentalist, it makes more sense, as I refer to tricks of our trade more then magicians - perhaps that will redress the balance a little!

Chaldean says: "From everything you--and the early readers--have said, this book sounds like it will far different from what has come before. I promise that no matter what's it's called, I will buy it as soon as it becomes available!)"

It can only do you good. Yes, it's vastly different because it's not just a book. It's a road map, a manual, a step-by-step guide with nothing left out, no padding, no waffle. It's intended purely to take the average mentalist/magician from where he or she is performing a few tricks at parties and in the pub to a position where their income at the very least meets that of their full time job, making the transition from a “real” job to being the master of their own day, week, month and years a simple one.

And doing that IS easy… if you know the rules.

Best wishes,

Drew.

One more question: Drew, are there any videos or DVDs around of you performing or lecturing? That's something else I'm interested in. Cheers!

“One more question: Drew, are there any videos or DVDs around of you performing or lecturing? That's something else I'm interested in. Cheers!”

Nope. Not one. Know why? Because I’m a lower-than-average performer! I do basic, standard stuff. But I’m doing it day in, day out every week. And making money from it. If I turned out a DVD of one of my performances there would be a howl that I’m well down the list of showmen. It’s not WHAT you do… it’s HOW you do it (in parts) and the fact you’re DOING it that matters! I explain all that in the manual – that I’m no great shakes as a mentalist. But even I am making a living wage from mentalism because of the approach I’ve taken to getting myself out there. And if I can do it, believe me ANYBODY can!

Drew

MagoStevo writes: “Thanks for your advice,since my ball is at 3rd June,so where can I get an agent to talk about this paid gig,any agent recommended?where can I find one?yellow pages? “

I’m really sorry, but there just isn’t time or space to go into that now. It’s all in the manual: the approaches, the finds, how to get agents clamouring for you (I kid you not!) It’s street-fighting self-promotion, taking a different and imaginative approach… and as mentalists we’re all equipped to “think outside the box” aren’t we?

Best wishes,

Drew

"Is your book especially applicable to UK performer"

It'll work anywhere. Ian Rowland, being Ian Rowland, doesn't do things by halves. He sent the proofs abroad to get mentalists in other countries to read it and suggest any changes to make it applicable to their homeland.

Also, being Scottish, I have some weird turns of phrase that would mean very little outside the borders of my small country. They have all been changed so that everything will make sense to everybody.

Best wishes,

Drew
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Drew,
Thanks for you advice,please keep me in your email list if you have your book published.

MagoStevo
Never ever have bad thought,you never know who is listening....
The Count of Three
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of The Count of Three
Drew, thanks for answering all my questions!
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
Is there any mindconvention or PEA like Organisation or convention of mentalism going in UK?
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
Drew;

When will this book be available?
Will it only be from Ian Rowland's?

Sven
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Magostevo no there isn't any conventions sadly.i think the last one was in 2001 which I missed.i hope that someone with a bit of money could set one up I'm sure theyll make there money back many times.
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
I heard about that last convention in 2001 too, in Ian's website and apparently the attendance and respond were quite good, but for unknown reason it halted. Anyone know why?

I think the Mentalists in UK should organise something like PEA to lead the convention organisation in UK. May be there is one that is for underground mentalist only that unbeknown to most people...

MagoStevo
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Svern, you asked: When will this book be available?
Will it only be from Ian Rowland's?

Last question first. Yes, it will only be available through Ian (see earlier post.) When is the big question at the moment. Although the books are printed and with the distributor, Ian’s website is down, through no fault of his own, and the book will be available from almost as soon as the web site is up and running again. Not too long, hopefully. Although Ian’s site LOOKS as though it’s functioning normally, it’s not. He can’t even get his e-mails at the moment.

Once that’s sorted – we launch.

Best wishes, and thanks for your interest.

Drew
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Magostevo, I couldn't agree more but who's to say there isn't a UK 13 style think tank that we aren't part of?
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Magic in Mind writes: Magostevo ,I couldn't agree more but whos to say there isn't a uk 13 style think tank that we aren't part of?

Having been a guest at The Thirteen, I saw just how useful it could be. For this reason, a number of invited mentalists meet once a month in Edinburgh. The whole thing is in flux at the moment, and we haven’t really managed to get ourselves properly organised. But that will come over the next few months. So there you go. If you’re a mentalist and you live in Scotland, you could be part of the invitation-only group!

Best wishes,

Drew
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
At the moment I am in Nottingham now,which I do not know any mentalist but a bunch of magician from magician guild of Nottingham.I wish I could be in Scotland!
any further info about UK 13?

Coincidentally my birthday is 13 too!
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-05-29 20:49, Drewmcadam wrote:
Magic in Mind writes: Magostevo ,I couldn't agree more but whos to say there isn't a uk 13 style think tank that we aren't part of?

Having been a guest at The Thirteen, I saw just how useful it could be. For this reason, a number of invited mentalists meet once a month in Edinburgh. The whole thing is in flux at the moment, and we haven’t really managed to get ourselves properly organised. But that will come over the next few months. So there you go. If you’re a mentalist and you live in Scotland, you could be part of the invitation-only group!

Best wishes,

Drew

Being based in Coventry, I'd like to suggest perhaps we move the boarders down South a little.

One of the "challenges" I have, along with others in the UK I suspect, is the lack of feedback/support from the Magi society. Mentalism is still, at least here in Coventry, seen as a novelty, I can bend spoons, and do a wicked (My only indulgence into British slang.) centre tear, but if I don't work cards, rings, sponge balls etc., then I'm not seen as being "important" as those who do "flick the cards".

A few people I know in the Coventry Magic Circle do both "magic" and "mentalism", but as good as they are with the mentalism side of things, their main "bread and butter" in terms of gigs comes from doing card/close up etc., magic.

Perhaps a group of mentalists could band together to meet, discuss the craft, and even perhaps put together a show locally. The Coventry Magic Circle does an annual show for the Mayor of Nuneatons' annual charity appeal; why not an evening of mentalism or something similar.

Just a few thoughts picked up as I was focusing on the sealed envelope in front of me.
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
MagoStevo
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of MagoStevo
I wonder how many of you guys here in UK rely purely in mentalism act without any magic act because myself can't resist of performing acts like Paper ball over head,invisible palm,biddle trick,omni deck,ambitious card and things like that never fail to leave your audience in awe.At the moment,i wish I could increase the ratio of mentalism/magic but just like the early Richard Osterlind,i still love to perform magic and I am doing it better than my mentalism and I am sure most mentalist here is transformed from formal magician.
How do you guys give up those killer magic act?!!?

Transforming MagoStevo to MentalStevo
Ian Broadmore
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of Ian Broadmore
Ego no just confident in my self.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL