The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Just to let you guys know... (see pages 1 through two and into three) It's out now, and you can get details from Ian Rowland's site. Phew!

Drew

MagoStevo

You take all your magic/conjuring effects... and you chuck 'em out! If you can't force yourself to do that, then take all your mentalism effects and dump THEM!

Kinda' concentrates the mind, doesn't it?

Drew
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 09:39, Ian Broadmore wrote:
Ego no just confident in my self.

one thing I have learnt about entertainers is the ones who go on about how much they make etc are usually talking ******** .I work in magic and the music biz and both are hard work and yes the money can be good but its not guaranteed ,theres not really such a thing as being a full time magician or musician for that matter as 90 percent of work is going to be friday or saturday unless you work at a place like butlins so you can earn a living from magic but its not like 9 to 5 so to speak .
The hard work with entertainment is the networking and being on the ball .
For you to say you wont get out of bed for £750 is crap as you can hire Paul Daniels for a private party for almost that .If I was a corporate booker why would I book you for £750 what are your credentials ? what makes you worth it ?
Its good to be self confident don't get me wrong but get the balance right as over confidence can come across as arrogance
regards
Jeremy
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Quote:
On 2005-05-31 09:39, Ian Broadmore wrote:
Ego no just confident in my self.

How does telling someone you earn £750 display confidence?
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 11:25, Aaron Lucas wrote:
Funny comments, Patient One Smile

I wonder why Ian writes about how much money he makes? I think that very successful people are generally modest about their income. Those who make claims about large salaries in a public place are either horribly insecure or total and utter bulls*****rs.

"Where boasting ends, there dignity begins." - Owen Young

spot on
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Jezza,

How right you are.

However, I do occasionally make as much as £750 - £1000, but I do after-dinner speaking, and when I do that it’s often a long way from home, so takes 2 days out of my diary. (Though I also get travelling and accommodation) All hail to my agents. But these are the exception rather than the rule.

Seasons also affect income – July and August can be very quiet (apart from the wedding stuff, of course) because businesses don’t have functions over vacation time. However, come August through to September, things hot up – and December is manic.

That said (and PLEASE don’t take this as boasting) much to my agents’ horror, I’m off to the Bahamas on a cruise (holiday) with my wife throughout December, so I must be doing all right! Certainly, better than I was doing during my short stint working in an office!

Although I agree with what you said, I would have to take issue with the statement: “Theres not really such a thing as being a full time magician or musician for that matter as 90 percent of work is going to be friday or Saturday”

While performance time might be Friday or Saturday (though for some reasons with the corporate clients Wednesday and Monday are rather popular, too), there are letters to write, contracts to be sorted out, agents to be visited, rehearsals, meetings, phone calls.... It’s never ending. It’s a full time business; which is all part of being a professional. And that, my friend, is full time in anybody’s book!

Best wishes,

Drew
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Nice one Drew sounds like you are on the ball,
what I mean about not being fulltime is no musician or magician or entertainer for that matter will be working 5 days a week stable times if you know what I mean it is all very up and down
regards
Jeremy
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4177 Posts

Profile of bobser
Actually Jezza as a full-time musician I could have easily find myself doing 'eight' gigs a week (doubling up on one of the nights). But what that did of course was rip the art out of what we were doing and totally turn it into a job.

Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Wizard291
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of Wizard291
"5 days a week stable times"

... ahem stable times ... ahem stable times ...

(Every night a week doubling on one??)

Stability rocks.
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
I've done that "doubling up" thing! What a wheeze. Once, I had a corporate gig at Edinburgh Castle (how's THAT for a venue?), followed by a one mile sprint down the High Street for a charity gig in one of the "haunted vaults". Like I said: "What a WHEEZE." Get it?

Drew
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2052 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
Re: the full-time musician thing... It's the slow season where I live (New Orleans), and I still have five regular gigs a week, plus whatever else comes along. Lately I've been subbing out some of the regular stuff to do out-of-town gigs on weekends. That still doesn't add up to performing for literally 40 hours a week (though I think I did that last JazzFest and it nearly killed me), but it keeps me busier than most people I know with "real" jobs.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
As an actor first (student second, and magician third) I know that in the world of Showbiz its perfectly acceptable to ask for a high rates of pay. Even when I was under 16 any acting job pay could range from FREE (usually including travel expenses) to over £750+ per day. Certainly better pay than most students!

However, as with acting, I assume you must have to 'break into' the magic world as a careeer. As of yet I have not performed in any sort of paid enviroment, and although its something I would be interested in doing (acting has always allowed me to enjoy performing) I have not yet found the chance / made myself the chance to enter that domain.

Perhaps I will give it a shot. But..depending on how you look at it, there is either a gap in the market for 17 year-old mentalists..or maybe people just think if your so young it must be a trick.

Hmmm

Craig
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
jezza
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of jezza
Quote:
On 2005-06-25 12:33, Quinn wrote:
Re: the full-time musician thing... It's the slow season where I live (New Orleans), and I still have five regular gigs a week, plus whatever else comes along. Lately I've been subbing out some of the regular stuff to do out-of-town gigs on weekends. That still doesn't add up to performing for literally 40 hours a week (though I think I did that last JazzFest and it nearly killed me), but it keeps me busier than most people I know with "real" jobs.

Hey c mon that's New Orleans I should hope so ,
The main thing is I think that as much as an entertainers life can be unstable be it magician ,musician etc is that we do what we love what we do and are not just sitting behind a desk all day ,
well that's my opinion I do the things I love and I get paid

Hey theres a joke ,what do you call a musician without a girlfriend

HOMELESS
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
SteeleFusion

You said: “But..depending on how you look at it, there is either a gap in the market for 17 year-old mentalists..or maybe people just think if your so young it must be a trick.”

By sheer coincidence, I had a table-hopping gig in Glasgow (your hometown, I note) this evening – a black tie affair at the Moathouse – know it? Anyway, my agent asked me if I could do it and, as there were so many tables, could I take somebody else along.

I took Colin McLeod, who is only one year older than you and also a student. He wowed them. Not one person (all medical profession, including hardened salespeople, so no “dummies” there) thought it was “just a trick”, though this is all down to his brilliant performing style.

So - in answer to your musing – there is certainly a gap! And as an actor I would suggest that you have a head start on the other “youngsters” who are simply doing the effect and expecting to be accepted as miracle workers.

Best wishes,

Drew McAdam
SteeleFusion
View Profile
Regular user
Glasgow, Scotland
106 Posts

Profile of SteeleFusion
Drew

Yes the Moathouse isn't too far from me indeed. (Infact just a few miles along the motorway). When I perform for people who don't know me that well, or only know me thru' my reputation (Maths student, NASA space cadet..) I can convince them of my mentalist powers. However, as of yet my Mum hasn't fallen for the "trained for 12 years in NLP and character behaviour" line ;-)

At the moment my 'convincer' revolves around me talking about how as I leanred to be an actor, I watched other people in everyday life - watched how they reacted and approached each other. Without realising it I was actually analysing their body language, and subconciously I realised that I was able to second-guess what there thought process was, or what action they would do next. So I decided to further enchance this new skill I had developed by complete accident.

Almost beleiveable ;-)

Any tips Drew?
Craig Steele : MindFusion

www.Craig-Steele.co.uk
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Quote:
Any tips Drew?

Yeah - buy the manual! Smile

Actually, I deal with this employment / life experience thing and developing a pseudo-explanation. One of the pastimes I DIDN'T think of was that of acting. Darn and dash it all!

Best wishes,

Drew
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Drew,
Thanks for all the comments... you marketing devil you Smile. I honestly am excited about your book. I am ordering ASAP. I have been able to get some (free) press due to my position at a Multi-Media Company (as an Account Exec.), and I have been trying to formulate a plan to make a real go at it (performing for a living). I have been doing different venues, many charity, to get exposure. You book comes at a perfect time, I really can't wait to read it.

Sean
Drewmcadam
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland
1238 Posts

Profile of Drewmcadam
Let me know what you think when you've got it!

best wishes,

Drew McAdam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Full time mentalists in the uk (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL