We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting Started (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

njh
View Profile
Regular user
Baltimore, MD
143 Posts

Profile of njh
I would really like to get started in mentalism, and I wanted to know if anyone could reccomend some decent sources (preferably books) to start from. I do a few tricks with a mentalist-type bent (one ahead stuff, really simple books tests, etc.), but I want to get more involved. Thanks so much for your help.
Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
13 Steps to Mentalism by Corinda and almost any book by Anneman.
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
I would highly recommend you do a search within this and any other forum you visit. This is a frequently asked question and many forums have a "locked" section that answers it and the other classics like "What's your favorite?" and "Who's the Best?"

Start with Corinda and Annemann... that will keep you more than busy for the next year or so. Believe me, many a legend in this art have become multi-millionares with less material. So learn how to keep it simple and be frugal rather than jumping at all the lattest in contemporary gadgets.

Best of luck!
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Start with Corinda and learn evrything, step by step. Do NOT skip chapters and look merely to learn tricks. Learn each technique and master each before you move forward. Once you have mastered 13 steps, then begin to move towards practicality. Bob Cassidy's latest work would be the best BUT you want to study his "Principia Mentalia" series PLUS his "Art of Mentalism" (both 1 and 2) which is also key to you learning to think like a mentalist as well as develop the skills required within. While 13 Steps will teach you the HOW to, Cassidy will teach the the WHY. While you are studying those, it is also a good idea to take some acting as well as some improvisation lessons. When you have that mastered, you are going to be well on your way.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Memo
View Profile
New user
Germany (northrhine-westfalia)
77 Posts

Profile of Memo
Is there something special from Anneman you would advise?

I would advise the Osterlind DVDs. Helped me a lot.
"There have been many claims by magicans and mentalists to the invention of mnemonics; some of the claimants have been world-famous performers - and none of them have a right to their claims!" - Corinda
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Quote:
On 2005-02-16 23:06, njh wrote:
I would really like to get started in mentalism, and I wanted to know if anyone could reccomend some decent sources (preferably books) to start from. I do a few tricks with a mentalist-type bent (one ahead stuff, really simple books tests, etc.), but I want to get more involved. Thanks so much for your help.

For me, Bob Cassidy's "Mental Miracles" DVD was the first "mentalist" material I saw, after doing a bit of reading on cold reading.

The advantage of the Cassidy DVD is that the effects, with one exeception, for me at any rate, are somewhat easy to handle and the explainations given at the end of the set are worth the money.

Of notable mention is the final effect in which a deck of cards is memorised in 15 seconds.

I did it at a audition about three weeks after I had first viewed the DVD. To use an overused experession..."It's a killer."
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
The Cassidy material is, in my opinion/experience, some of the most valuable and practical material you could ask for (especially in learning the philosophy Bob shares about being a Mentalist and performing Mentalism). Aside from this particular collection I would suggest studying his comparative essay on Cold Reading. It's a most excellent and honest treatise that puts some of the magic hacks in their place while explaining why certain promoted assumptions (put forth by skeptics and inexperienced know-it-alls) will cost you credability, etc.

Though I think too many people are misusing the material, I will also recommend Banachek's PSYCHOLOGICAL SUBTLTIES series (as well as his new DVD collection -- it's a great "course" in mentalism) as well as learning all you can about working with Billets and Muscle Reading... but that's my thing, not everyone appreciates such nuances.

Best of luck!
JohnLamberti
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
420 Posts

Profile of JohnLamberti
I've read Banacheck's book, and I agree it's great. I also would reccomend Osterlind's Breakthrough Card System. I haven't been studying mentalism that long, but that one DVD (Mind Mysteries #2) will give you enough material to make people think you can actually read minds. It's quite spooky.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Just thinking back, the way I actually started was by watching David Berglas on video and creating my own methods for the efefcts I saw. From there I read Psychological Subtleties and Corinda.

The problem is, I feel, that when you begin to hear about methods then your mind may very well limit itself to those said methods. So if you don't know anythign then you are forced to create your own "box" as oppose to havign to think outside of the already structured one. Many of my methods were way over complex, none practical and such, but some of them I still use.

Just a thought,

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Getting Started (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL