The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How to make a box fall apart after an illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
I am developing a new illusion that uses two different concepts put together. The only question I have is, after the effect is done, I want the sides of the box to fall without anybody touching them, to reveal an empty box. It has to be sturdy enough to support some weight. Thanks for any suggestions or places where I can find more information about this. Smile
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
How much money do you want to spend? Smile

This can be accomplished the old way... via a pull wire (someone off stage pulls a release cable or, the mage pulls on a visible cable). You can use Remote Control release systems or even a pyro-catch (literally small "explosive" loads that ignite and result in release... looks very cool!)

I'd suggest you find plans for the old "Princess of Thebes" cabinet or consider going with Roller Shades Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
What is the fabric used with roller shades? Not the plastic kind, but the cloth kind that is sometimes used?
"Kristopher Supriemer"

"Good things come to those who wait...but only what's left by those who hustle."
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Most come with a vinyl type fabric. You can change this to just about anything opaque or even paint the original coverings.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
reedrc
View Profile
Inner circle
1351 Posts

Profile of reedrc
We've used spandex, paper cloth. You can use just about anything.
Kind Regards

Ryan C. Reed
Founder, Illusion Entertainment

designer, director, theatrical consultant, digital wizard, magic impresario, wonder aficionado, Illusioneer & dream architect.

Instagram
Facebook
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
Wait a minute.

If you want the sides of a cabinet to fall down why don't you just use little hydraulic arms? That is what we used on a smoke chamber… huge heavy fiberglass doors. Air them up with a little oil and they work great. Fairly cheap too.

It is kind of like the arms on doors that shut by themselves. I am sure you can order them from any Grangers supplier.

Will
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
LeeAlex2002
View Profile
Inner circle
1006 Posts

Profile of LeeAlex2002
I use a box that has coloured flash paper sides. Instead of the sides falling apart the box burns away - looks pretty neat and dangerous and is cheap!
Yours Magically,
Lee Alex

http://www.magic2wear.com
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
Is there any way to use these ideas with the sub-trunk?
"Kristopher Supriemer"

Grandillusionsmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of Grandillusionsmagic
With a sub trunk you could have the sides hinged to the bottom and the lid to the back. If you make a small lip around the lid that could hold the sides up you could have a latch hold the sides together and after the switch the person inside could release the lever and once the box is unlocked the person inside could stand up opening the lid that releases the sides. If you have any questions PM me.
Grand Illusions
Magically,
GI
www.boisemagic.com
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-09-24 20:41, Supriemer wrote:
Is there any way to use these ideas with the sub-trunk?

Years ago I did a Reversed Sub-Trunk. (Trunk hangs in the air and switch is made.) The suspended trunk was the classic Black & Chrome "Owen" looking trunk. Yet, the instant I make my appearance on stage and cue the spot to the trunk, a puff of smoke rose and it was suddenly a Crystal Box with the girl within. (We also did a variation with a Cat load.)

HOW?

Well, let's just say I've already hinted at what to do and leave it at that.

Best of luck!
Supriemer
View Profile
New user
South Bend, IN
50 Posts

Profile of Supriemer
I understand what you are saying, but am a bit confused about one part (which may not be a big deal but…) were you the one originally in the box, or the one who switched to the box? Not that it makes a big deal, but did you get out and off the box and then cue the spotlight?
"Kristopher Supriemer"

Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Actually, it does make a big difference. I am originally in the bag, cuffs, and trunk as it is flown up... girl stands on a thin table top you can seen through (no mirrors, or "base" type bits or stage traps)... from scratch, you could probably make the whole thing for about $1,500.00 or less (the trunk is the expensive thing.)

PM me direct if you're interested and maybe we can work something out. Smile
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
I use LeeAlex2002's way with the flash paper. It works very good.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » How to make a box fall apart after an illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL