The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » What is harder to come up with, effects or methods? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Eric Leclerc
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa Ontario
1185 Posts

Profile of Eric Leclerc
Lee

are you saying you come up with the presentation for a trick that hasnt even been invented yet? I cant imagine how someone could do that. Thinking of ways to present a trick that you do not know what the effect is?! I don't get it
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Eric, I start with an idea for what I would like to show an audience - the script and idea for the effect sort of come together at the same time. if you look at the material in MOM, you will see what I mean, I work "script heavy" in my bizarre work. My haunted key script runs almost four pages, as an example, and is based on a true story about my grandfather's adventures in the Merchant Marines during World War II.

Spooky as heck, too, I'm told, especially as I do the key routine in the volunteer's hand, not mine.

I start with the idea of what a "real" wizard would be able to do, from a storyline idea, then frame the trick around that. So a Midas Touch story might be the framework for telling about how the mage would watch the gold form in the flare of fire that would flash from his touching anything on the full moon, then demonstrate how it happens with a small rock that someone else wraps in a piece of parchment, which like cloth, is the only thing uneffected by the curse. The mage picks up the stone in its wrapping and FWOOSH! a flare of fire and a small nugget of gold drops to the table!

Story, effect, method. Think of it as "reverse engineering" applied to magical routines! Smile

Hope that helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Signature
View Profile
New user
Austria->Vienna
45 Posts

Profile of Signature
I personally find that it is harder to come up with menthods ;D
since you get onto them most times without kowing it ;D it happens when I am practicing something but the effekt it creates is really different to come up ;D

so I think they are both hard to come up but that is a thing that everyone needs
to know for himself since its a very personal ting

just talking about new effekts or menthods

Greets
cornfarrell
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of cornfarrell
Sometimes they are both hard and sometimes one is easier than the other. it is the age old question which is more important the form or the function and which follows the other? I try to pursue the effects first and then figure out methods.
John
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-06-28 12:58, Eric Leclerc wrote:
Lee

are you saying you come up with the presentation for a trick that hasnt even been invented yet? I cant imagine how someone could do that. Thinking of ways to present a trick that you do not know what the effect is?! I don't get it

That's the way that Borodin works out many of his ideas. I also do the same thing.

"Richard's Cigar," which is an unpublished work of mine, came into being because of an actual occurrence. I used the story to inspire an effect, which, in turn inspired the method.

"The Inquisitor," which is in Borodin's new book (soon to be released -- watch this space for details) was inspired by some items Borodin found when he had moved into a house in Bamberg. He found an old doll's head in some of the construction materials. Shortly after that, he learned that the house had once been occupied by an inquisitor. Then he wrote the story and the routine.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Beth
View Profile
Loyal user
Missouri
277 Posts

Profile of Beth
For me methods are harder to come by than effects. Maybe because I simply love the theatrical aspects of magic. I usually come up with the effect and then try to find a method to make it work.
"All creative art is magic, is evocation of the unseen in forms persuasive,enlightening, familar, and surprising."
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Effects for sure for me.

It's difficult to come up with something truly original, because so much has been done before and there are a limited number of magical "events." ie Vanish/restoration etc. Also I think it's very important to have a plot, a story, or a purpose for an effect. Just aimlessly doing something or other does not make for good entertainment. The audience likes to be involved with you and to follow what you are doing. Fitting the plotline and the outcome to your exact style can be challenging.

Having decided where I am going, getting there is easier for me. Like Rannie, having read around the literature, there's usually more than one way of making it happen.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2005-08-08 20:17, Beth wrote:
For me methods are harder to come by than effects. Maybe because I simply love the theatrical aspects of magic. I usually come up with the effect and then try to find a method to make it work.

This proves something I have believed for years. This is the essential difference between men and women, psychologically speaking. Women are more gifted when it comes to intiuitive things. Men are more mechanically inclined.

This is why you hear about "women's intuition" and "Mr. Goodwrench."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » What is harder to come up with, effects or methods? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL