The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic secrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
robertk4you
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of robertk4you
Ok.Here we go.I am into magic for like 10 years now.I read so many books,watched so many magic shows of great magicians.I am also interested in other mysteries,like ufo,ghosts,parapsychology.My main question to you is,how many of you are real magicians? what I mean by that,is that for example,you are talking about different types of levitation and staff,but from what iheard and read is that,if you meditate on your 6 or 7th chakra,you will be able to levitate as well.I heard about people doing it,using advance meditations.So,my question is,do you go to magic shop,buy staff,practise,and then show it to people,or like I said.,you practise some occultism,or meditations to achive your goals.Also,there are some famoues mediums in the past,who were able to move tables,levitate themselves,or bend spoon.
rvigon
View Profile
Loyal user
uk
266 Posts

Profile of rvigon
This site is mainly for entortaionors we perform the art of amazement and missdirction o and about those famoues meadiuns COURSE THEY COULD!!!!
"No brilliance is required in magic, just determination and relatively clean fingernails."
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Maybe you can find some of these people here in the Café, but I can´t levitate.... It´s all about show!

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Yes, I do real Magic. I drink 3 glasses of Absinthe daily and meditate. I can walk through walls and levitate as high as any plane can fly. I can read people's minds on those rare occasions when I can find someone that has one.
You can do the same if you will drink 3 glasses of Absinthe but beware of the 4th glass, you never know what that will do to you Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
@ irossall:
I only need to dring 3 glasses? That´s it? My god, I was always wondering how the guys on TV do their magic. Is this the secret of David Copperfield - that makes him fly?

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Just send me $1,000,000,000 and I will teach you, too. Believe me, it will make me fly, turn colors, emit unearthly sounds, and other things to strange to mention in a public forum.
All are welcome to send unearthly amounts to support this blessed event.

PO Box 236
City Island, NY 10464
You have to give it away to keep it.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
This thread baffles me. In all my magic experience, I have never ever believed in any "real" magic other than what is created in the human mind.

As a performer, I try to create routines that will stimulate peoples' dreams and emotions so they can experience THAT kind of magic.

Actually floating, reading minds, contacting spirits? Anyone you've heard of that claims to do those things is probably using similar techniques to what we use, but apparently for a different purpose.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 06:57, irossall wrote:
Yes, I do real Magic. I drink 3 glasses of Absinthe daily and meditate.

Absinthe! Here I've been using the wrong potion all these years. "One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!" has been my mantra. Oh well!

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 09:17, Stanyon wrote:
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 06:57, irossall wrote:
Yes, I do real Magic. I drink 3 glasses of Absinthe daily and meditate.

Absinthe! Here I've been using the wrong potion all these years. "One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor!" has been my mantra. Oh well!

Cheers! Smile

Well, all I can say is I no longer drink alcohol. The reason: I visited Marmaris, Turkey and 3 guys beat me up all over town--I think their names were Jim, Jack and Jose...
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
To think logically, as I do not do. If there were such a phenomenon as "real" magic as explained in the first post. We would not be reading about it we would certainly be seeing it.

This is the awesome effect our type of magic has on people and this should enforce the pride we should feel for the ability we own and presentational skills to make it so believable. The reason many people believe in these things are because they have seen ours and are so baffled of affected they create these beliefs. We are the true magicians, we make the impossible possible and make imaginations triumph over reality.

Of course I may be wrong, I do really like vodka myself.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
In the years before his death, Doug Henning became intensely involved in meditative self-levitation. In fact, when he gave up magic to pursue politics, he started a political party based upon such meditative techniques. To date, he is the only magician I have know who has gone down this road.

Many thought he had lost his mind. Certainly, he lost all political credibility. Having said this, I still greatly admire the contributions of Doug Henning to the art of Magic.
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
There's no such thing as "real" magic.

The people on this site will perform miracles and discuss honestly how they are done.

Mediums, levitators, and occultists use exactly the same fake techniques as us but cover it all in mystery to pretend it is actually real. Don't fall for it.
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Didn't Penn & Teller cover this thing on their showtime series?
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Did they? What was their conclusion, Tanker?
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Hello,

Literature is rife with claims of things like 'really being able to levitate' while meditating, etc., but it is NEVER seen by credible witnesses or is able to reproduced on demand, etc. The excuse that skeptisism keeps the 'performer' from being able to perform is the same pat answer that fake psychics have used for years and years.

What modern magicians or conjurers attempt to do is produce for the amusement of others and hopefully the eventual expansion of our bank accounts the ILLUSION that we are doing 'real' magic.

Go ahead and study the occult, etc. as it gives one wonderful patter leverage, but don't expect much to come of it in reality. The most interesting thing about occult and paranormal claims is that they NEVER seem to reproducable latter. That one fact takes them out of the realm of science and puts them in the realm of folklore. Best,
Brad Burt
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Exactly.

Science is reproducable. That's a basic principle of physics. Conjuring uses physical priciples and is therefore reproducable. Occult fokelore is just that and therefore it isn't. Especially it isn't when a physicist complete with cameras and various measuring instruments is on hand. Hmmmm, must be a moral to that fact...
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 13:45, BlackShadow wrote:
There's no such thing as "real" magic.

I disagree. A perfect, clear blue sky. The stars at night as you drive down a quiety country road. My daughters' smile. ALL OF THIS IS MAGIC.

Folklore is full of unexplained magical stories. Just because we have never seen it, doesn't mean its not possible. It may just mean that no one has figured out a way to do it yet (or alternatively, no one has figured out how it might have been done in the past).

One classic example in magic is the Indian Rope Trick. Some say it's pure fiction. Others insist it was real magic. But who are we to say which?

If a magician cannot even believe in the "possibility" of magic, how can he sell it to his audience? This was the real "magic" of Doug Henning. When you get past his hokey costumes and his wild hair, one thing remained constant. His seemed to really believe that magic was possible. That's what set him apart from others in his field.

To quote one of my favourite movies, "Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing." That's where all magic begins.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 14:55, magicman845 wrote:

One classic example in magic is the Indian Rope Trick. Some say it's pure fiction. Others insist it was real magic. But who are we to say which?

It can't be reproduced under controlled scientific conditions. Therefore the scientists will say it's pure fiction. But the stargazers will say it's real magic, without any reason other than someone told them it was true.

Who are we to say which? Are you a scientist or a stargazer...

Which you say says who you are Smile
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 14:55, magicman845 wrote:
I disagree. A perfect, clear blue sky. The stars at night as you drive down a quiety country road. My daughters' smile. ALL OF THIS IS MAGIC.

Okay, and now you're just being patently ridiculous by playing with semantics. I don't mean to be harsh, insult you, or start a flame war, but I'm itching to get this out, so take my replies with a chunk of salt if you like:
This is not what we're talking about.
Things of beauty in nature that you perceive as magical are not the same thing as "magic", which by definition is defying the laws of nature and newtonian phsyics; effect without cause. In fact, what you're calling magical there is exactly the opposite - a display of the laws of nature, awesome though they may be.
Not saying that there isn't beauty to it, or that you shouldn't feel some sense of awe to the universe, but it simply isn't what is being discussed within the scope of this thread.
Otherwise, I may as well "magically levitate" a glass by using the "magic" that is the wonderful human body and it's skeletal/musclular system - by lifting it up with my hand. Okay, who's that gonna impress ? Would you pay to see that ?

Quote:
Folklore is full of unexplained magical stories. Just because we have never seen it, doesn't mean its not possible.

Just because we can't explain it, doesn't mean it's "magic".
It's always been magic, until science comes along and explains it.
Please stop confusing the word "magic" with "awe", or "beauty".

Quote:

Oh please. I think you've been smoking some of that Indian hemp !! Smile Smile

Quote:
If a magician cannot even believe in the "possibility" of magic, how can he sell it to his audience? This was the real "magic" of Doug Henning. When you get past his hokey costumes and his wild hair, one thing remained constant. His seemed to really believe that magic was possible. That's what set him apart from others in his field.

-and there ya go - "He seemed to believe .." There's a huge difference in "seemed" to believe, and "he believed". 'nuff said. Just a part of the performance.

Quote:
To quote one of my favourite movies, "Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing." That's where all magic begins.

That's also where a lot of senior citizen's lifesavings ends. They fall pray to hundreds of hokesters, con-men, and phony psyhics every year, because they see what they want to see, rather than be objective and rational.
I'll just never see a benefit to blind faith, but that's me.
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Corey Harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City, MO
1230 Posts

Profile of Corey Harris
Quote:
On 2005-02-18 13:58, BlackShadow wrote:
Did they? What was their conclusion, Tanker?

I think they determined it was B*** S***
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magic secrets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL