We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
macp
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of macp
I need some help with a couple of questions.
Bob Sheets has an effect called Hang 'em High and I found it on Hank Lee.
I also found a video called The Magic of Reading - B.J. Hickman Video Vol Two
and on it was an effect called Hang 'em High.
I wonder if anyone know if it is the same effect or two different ones?
Is the other effects any good on the tape?
Is there an gimmick on the rope for the effect Hang 'em High or do you just prop the rope.(I just wonder because if I order the tape without Bob Sheets routine Hang 'em High and don't get the gimmick I can`t still do it)
Or the gimmick can be by yourself?

///Mac
Here i am but can you see me?
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Mac:

Your best bet is to order Bob Sheets' video directly from Denny and Lee; I believe Denny is the only dealer who carries the video. The video will show you the performance of the routine, and how to make the special rope.

You'll need special gimmicks called "Tarbell gimmicks" which Denny sells too. The gimmicks are about $5.00 and the video is about $30.00. You'll also want to get the correct type of rope (it needs to be hollow - no core). Denny can supply you with all of this.

The website is http://www.dennymagic.com

Ron
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
And... come to the World Magic Seminar in Las Vegas this coming week and have Sheets help you. He'll be there.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bob Sheet’s Hang em High is a rope thru body trick. It is somewhat similar to the version that Fantasio performed over 20 years ago and the version that Henry Evans now performs.

However, Bob’s has the addition of using two spectators to help hold a very long length of rope and even enters a tug of war with them (proving the solidity of the rope). Bob’s version uses a standard gimmick to make the trick work.

It is a killer trick.

I haven’t a clue what the B.J. Hickman effect is! I could not find any description of the effect or the video even going to his web site. I suspect that it is NOT at all like the Bob Sheets trick. I don’t even know if it is a rope trick.

Hickman does not list the contents of the video on his website he only states “The Magic of Reading” BJ Hickman video, $30.00. Instructional for magicians. This is a well produced video of BJ's longest running school and library program.”

I suggest that you email Mr. Hickman and ask him directly to describe the effect. His email address is: bj@bjhickman.com

If you are looking for a rope thru body trick you cannot go wrong using the Bob Sheets version.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Concerning the BJ Hickman video, I believe Hang 'em High may be part of the video tape, but as a performance only. I have BJ Hickman's other tapes, and they are performance-only (with some commentary) of his shows, designed to show his routines for standard effects. I believe the Reading video just shows how he's packaged standard effect into a reading themed show. So, there's probably Hang 'em High in the show, but no explanation.

Ron
JL608
View Profile
Loyal user
270 Posts

Profile of JL608
I know Hank Lee sells Hang Em High complete with rope (ready to perform) for $20.00.

It's one of the easiest, most baffling rope tricks ever invented. Looks absolutely impossible.

Have fun!
macp
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of macp
Thanks for all reply.
But can you do Bob Sheets routine without using your hands when your body pass thrue the rope?
Or do you just walk thrue without using your hands?
Here i am but can you see me?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
NO! The hands must be used. You are not walking thru the rope you are pulling the rope thru your body (there is a subtle difference there).
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
If I'm not mistaken, Tannen's was selling a similar item. They still may be selling it. I bought it 2 or 3 years ago. Funny thing is, the price was originally $20 then many magicians began to buy it and it jumped to either $35 or $40. You can try them as well.

Jimmy

Just to add one thing to my previous post: both Bob Sheets Hang 'Em High and Tannen's Rope through Body use the same gimmick/principle. The one difference is in the quality of the rope. The rope used in Bob Sheet's trick resembles more of a clothesline while the rope used in Tannen's version is a nicer (thicker and brighter) quality rope.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
Does anybody perform the trick usually?

How do you get the rope from the hands of the spectators in a natural way?

I think you end in a critical position. I wanted to perform this tricks for adult audience, but the only solution I found is to tie the rope to some place and do it without the spectators help or use two little children as helpers so in a quick shake I free the rope from the hands of the child.

Any comments?

Darío
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2529 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
You could add another set of the gimmick.

after the applause pose, coil the rope starting at the middle and doing one end at at time. a simple thank you and they understand everything is over and you are collecting the rope.

s
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

If you understand the gimmick and its handling, it's easy enough to let even adults pull on the ends to show the rope is legitimate, then it's all a matter of stage direction and working with the volunteers to keep the gimmick to yourself.

I used the trick numerous times and it never failed me. For my act, I tied a loud pair of overly large, even for me, boxers to the rope and it always got screams and laughs, and the ditching of the boxers gave me a great excuse for quickly gathering up the ends from the volunteers. And the volunteers I used ranged from kids to teens to adults -- whoever happened to be sitting in the front row at the time of my shows, and all the shows were outdoors semi-surrounded.

Go for it. It's a great tricks and gets a good audience response.

Joe in KC
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Getting the rope ends out of the spectator’s hands is no problem at all. Watch Bob do it on his tape or read the instructions that came with the prop and you will have all you need for spectator management.

Easiest way, simply nod toward each spectator helper and say “thank you, take a bow” and you’ll find they will drop the rope ends and bow. If they hold the ends as they bow simply say “drop the rope and bow again”. Direct the applause toward your helpers, coil up the rope as you help them off the performing area.

As to doing it a second time with a second gimmick, it is possible but will be very cumbersome, if you have the trick (Bob’s version, Fantasio’s version, or Henry Evans version) then you know exactly what I mean. I do not think that you add anything to the trick by doing it a second time.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2529 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to do it a second time. if you wanted to fool with a second gimmick, you could drop the rope after you pull it thru yourself. but again, they will let go of the ends with a slight prompt.

s
Dario
View Profile
Veteran user
332 Posts

Profile of Dario
I'll try it sometime.
Thanks
Jimmy Joza
View Profile
Special user
New York City
747 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Joza
By the way, I noticed Tannen's had 3 or 4 sets of Hang 'Em High rope trick with written routine. They are selling them at $30.

Jimmy
"Those who simply walk in others' tracks leave no footprints."
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Do Hang 'Em High and the go into Bisection from Andrew Mayne...gets 'em everytime!
Rope Thru Neck
Head Twister
Hang 'Em High
Bisection...just imagine.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I need help with the gimmicks.
I am using elite rope, Tarbell screw type gimmicks and I glued it with white glue, but it is really loose. Should I just glue it some more?
Thank you in advance,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5345 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
James, the gimmicks should fit snugly in the rope ends to begin with. That is, there should be no wiggle.

To install the Tarbell gimmicks you first prepare the rope ends by coating/painting the inside of the ends with a bit of white glue (Tacky Glue). Now use a dowel the same diameter as the inside of the rope. Wrap wax paper around it (so the glue won’t stick to the dowel/pencil) and insert into the rope ends. Let dry. This stiffens the rope a bit and gives you a surface on which to glue the gimmick. When the glue dries and before you take the dowel out, trim the rope ends square and neat.

Now step two! You coat the gimmick with glue and insert it into the now stiff rope ends. Wrap the ends tightly (as tightly as you can) with thread or string (several wraps) and allow the whole mess to dry. When dry, take off the thread/string wrap. Viola! You should have nice tight gimmicks.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I don't think the Tarbell's are strong enough. You might try stronger glue, like Testors... there was a trick with Tarbells you drill TINY holes in the sides of the barrel and SEW them on too.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL