The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4932 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
Thanks for the technique Harry. My gimmicks actually have tiny holes in them. I was thinking about running thread through there Pete.

I'll try both ways and see.
Thanks Guys!
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22561 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Just received Stevens Magic Catalog last Friday. They have the new Bob Sheet's Hang' Em High! DVD video for $32.50. You get all the handling tips and jokes. There is also included a couple of other Sheet's effects.

Go to http://www.stevensmagic.com and check it out!
Tawkin2ya
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Tawkin2ya
Just wanted to submit my 2 cents, the Tarbell gimmicks that I have also have holes pre-drilled in them. I purchased mine from Magic Inc. they are imported from India and are extemely well made. I use a tip from "Rig up the Ropes" by R.W. Klamm to attach my gimmicks to the rope. I wrap the gimmick with masking tape until it is the desired diameter and then glue it into the rope. The masking tape sticks securely to gimmick whereas glue has a tendency to flake off.
Ray
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hang 'em High is an excellent rope trick, however you can use two ropes devoid of any gimmicks and still pull off the same illusion... and the spectators can tug on the ropes to their hearts content because they are truly ungimmicked.

johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Johnny, you don't even need to use two ropes. Grant published a one rope version of the rope through the body. However it is not a straight pull through. You have to wrap the rope around the body. Then two spectators take the ends and pull the rope right through the body. One rope, no gimmick, and impromptu!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17551 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I see Daytonamagic.com has it for $24. Sounds like a good effect. Do you always get the tarbell rope or is there another one that might be preferred?
Harry
Is that pull similar to the Scarf Around the Neck method?
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22561 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have seen the rope and instructions and the stand alone trick has a lot to be desired. I believe you need the video to get the full effect of the presentation. The stand alone does not come with a routine. It only tells the how to. Therefore you are left with a rope and secret only. I believe to get the best out of this item you need the video.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Slim, it is simmilar but not identical. It's in Grant's "Nite Club Magic".

I agree with Bill on this, the printed instructions that come with the trick don't do it justice. Spend a little more and get the tape/DVD and watch how the master pulls it off.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17551 Posts

Profile of Slim King
OK...I'm sold!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hey Harry,

Yeah...I know which trick your talkin' about with just the one rope. I don't like it though because of the wrapping around the body crap, I'm sure for various reasons you understand.... Although the Tenkai Rope thru Neck is excellent!

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I have two DVD's of Hang Em High and both do not run well on my DVD player.

I can't watch them. Factory defect?

Does anybody here have the same problem?

I won't order for another replacement for I might end up with 3 DVD's and it is really too much for my kind dealer who sent the replacement for free.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Your DVD is probably only coded to play in the USA. I recently bought a DVD from Canada that does not play in the USA. Dang! It was a DVD I really wanted to watch too!

I don't have this on DVD, my copy is old as the hills and is on videotape. The handling is just too short to require the navigation of a DVD.

I would send them both back to your dealer for a full refund.

Johnny, I used to be bothered by the wrapping around the body thing too! However, lately I have been using that version in a sequence of different effects.

I have three spectators help me. I use two guys and a woman where I can. I will start with the U.F. Grant Rope Through Body with the rope wrapped around the woman and the two guys pulling. The rope passes harmlessly through her body.

Then I go right into arguably the cleanest stage size, cut and restored rope. The rope is cut into two pieces right in the middle. The two pieces are shown separately and held well apart.

The rope is restored. Yes this is the Conradi cut and restored trick. The best there is for platform, parlor, or stage!

I end the sequence with the rope through my body a la’ Hang em High.

It all works smoothly together and fills a stage. On the street it captures and holds the audience by using several members from different sections of the audience.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Hey Harry, that sounds like a really good routine.

johnny
<BR>I never inhale Smile
God-glorified
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of God-glorified
I like the sound of the routine.....how long would you say the hang em high routine is..................is it a comedy item? If not, can a funny person make it a great comedy item due to potential....I see it has Bob Sheets who is a legend of comedy, but even he does his serious magic.....(well at his lecture he did)
Ephes. 2:8-9

For by GRACE are ye saved through faith; and that NOT OF YOURSELVES: it is the gift of God: NOT OF WORKS, lest any man should boast.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Hang Em High is a comedy routine in the hands of Bob Sheets. It can be played for serious mystery or light comedy. It works either way and either way appears magical. This can be a personality piece.

I am surprised that Bob did not perform this piece at his lecture. As to length…three to five minutes (or more) depending on the presentation skills of the performer.

My sequence uses one rope from start to finish, one pair of scissors, three audience members/spectators, and lasts between 8 and 10 minutes. But then I don’t rush and I give time for each magical moment to sink in, be appreciated (applauded).
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22561 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Harry and rmolaleta,

You can change the country on your computer to read up to 5 countries or areas of the world. The only catch is that you only get to change the country 5 times and after that you have to buy a new DVD player for your computer as it will not play anything but the 5th country you were on.

It is a drawback, but you can see other country formats.
check out control panel, system, hardware, device manger, then click on your DVD drive. Then click on the country region tab. Good luck.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2328 Posts

Profile of todsky
Harry, where would I find info about the Conradi cut and restored rope? It sounds good, the way you describe it.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Quote:
On 2005-06-29 16:23, wmhegbli wrote:
Harry and rmolaleta,

You can change the country on your computer to read up to 5 countries or areas of the world. The only catch is that you only get to change the country 5 times and after that you have to buy a new DVD player for your computer as it will not play anything but the 5th country you were on.

It is a drawback, but you can see other country formats.
check out control panel, system, hardware, device manger, then click on your DVD drive. Then click on the country region tab. Good luck.

This could be the problem but so far my player has been already converted to multi region. I could play almost anything except for this one from Bob Sheets but will check it again.

Thanks very much for your concern!
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5346 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I haven’t been here for a while and need to catch up.

Bill thanks for the tips on changing the DVD country settings. I’ll give it a try. I just have to remember to return it to the USA setting by the fifth time!

Todsky, Stevens Magic Emporium sells the Conradi Rope trick all made up and ready to go. Ted Lessey manufactures it so I imagine that you can also get it directly from Ted.

For stage, platform, or even parlor venues the Conradi Rope trick it difficult to beat! It is clear (effect is easily understood), clean, quick, and of course, magical.
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
Hi Harry,

Is that Ted Lesley or a different person?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Hang Em High (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL