We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sylvester pitch for mentalism, a billet switch? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicman02
View Profile
Veteran user
320 Posts

Profile of magicman02
Is it possible to use the sylvester pitch to switch a billet. The sylvester pitch is a great move, especially for producing things, but I was wondering how you can use it for a mentalism routine. Any ideas anyone?
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
It is a great move for a change, production, or a switch (especially like looking items). The problem lies in the motivation for the move. In Greg Wilson's routine in the "On the Spot" videos he went to the pocket each time with the coin. Finding a reason to toss the billet(envelope,live/dead marker...etc.) from one had to the other is the trick (no pun intended). I guess if you "had" to toss the billet to the other hand because your pencil (or something.....please anything besides woofle dust) was in the other pocket; that may do. If you're good at the "pitch" go for it.

Here's food for thought: think about the Tamariz "crossing the gaze" switch, it takes a little work with timing the eyes with hand movements but you're less likely to miss and/or drop something. Whatever the case, find some motivation to move the billet from one hand to the other, and remember we're talking mentalism not magic so.....what is so wrong with doing a standard, one-hand or even a pocket switch for something a little larger (like an envelope)?
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
The problem is that the Sylvester Pitch is not a switch; it's a load. Because of this, I think it's applications to mentalism are limited.
Hello.
Bill Douglas
View Profile
New user
El Paso, TX
90 Posts

Profile of Bill Douglas
Man oh man, I am glad I checked back here. Stephen, you are absolutely correct. I should really stay off of here at such wee hours of the morning. A load for production is what it is best for. Duh..dopey me.

I sort of was thinking more of a Sankey type flying shuttle pass.

Magicman02, look at this FSP move and think on the rhetoric I said before. The Crossing the gaze switch is a good way to go as mentioned before.

To run if your not being chased is a lot of work.....an everyday, standard, billet switch is still tried and true.
D.Paul
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of D.Paul
Hi
Nice idea but I think it would look a little odd doing the pitch with a billet plus its not as heavy as a coin so might miss alot. Only thing I can think of and its more magic than mentalism is to have some one take a card, show them the blank paper fold it up pitch it across place in your pocket, then it appears again, pitch it again and then place it in your pocket then you open your hand and there is a larger piece of paper with the name of there card on it.

Just a thought
D.Paul
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Mass and inertia are going to be the real problem here. Billets are more than somewhat light. Releasing them in mid air is begging for a stray breeze to mess you up. Murphy's Laws ALWAYS apply - even to mentalists and PK people! Smile

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5735 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I think the Sylvester Pitch is the wrong move for a billet switch. There are quite a few good ones in Practical Mental effects, including the Dollar Bill Switch on page 216.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Sylvester pitch for mentalism, a billet switch? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL