We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Backclipping (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
I'm interested in your opinion about backclipping,the advantages and disadvantages of the different methods.
I use three of them
-Goshman pinch
-Roth's deep backclip
-Rosenthal backclip,as described in the Paul Cummins Video

Excuse my bad english
Marc Smile
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Back clipping is great.

They all have the same constraint - they for the most part need to be used when your audience is close looking down on your hand.

The deep back clip probably provides the most hand cover though its harder to smoothly retrieve from.

Tenkai pinch and middle finger back clip are pretty similar. I prefer the middle finger clip, others prefer Tenkai's.
Click to visit:
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
PDX, now San Diego...back to PDX
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Chris Kenner has an awesome coins across titled "Into the deep" (at least that is what I think it is called.) It can be found in his book "Totally Out Of Controll"

Paul Cummins also has a video that contains alot of beautiful coin magic utilizing back clip. It is titled "Up in Smoke."

Corey B.
Marc01
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Marc01
Thank you for your answer,and congratulations to Dan for his beautiful site and videos.
I think that the Tenkai clip is the easiest and quickest to get into,the deep provides by far the most natural looking hand,the middle finger clip is intermediate.

Marc
spherie
View Profile
New user
Germany
52 Posts

Profile of spherie
...and don't forget the back thumb palm. Although it is by far not so angle-proof like the others, it can be fairly deceptive.

Spherie
Alex W.
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of Alex W.
Quote:
On 2002-09-23 10:09, spherie wrote:
...and don't forget the back thumb palm. Although it is by far not so angle-proof like the others, it can be fairly deceptive.

Spherie

There's also a pretty good coin-catching effect using the back thumb palm. Actually there are two methods. One is in Bobo's, where you let the coin fall into your fist as you close it, but the other is quite a bit harder. As you jerk your hand forward, release the coin from back thumb palm, and catch it with the tips of the fore-finger and thumb. I can't do it every time, but when I do, it's great! Smile
spherie
View Profile
New user
Germany
52 Posts

Profile of spherie
Here comes my beloved "Stone Drop" again: Simply lower the hand that's holding out the palmed coin in a quick motion and the coin will fall directly into the open palm. You don't have to move your hand very much, a small move should be enough. This eliminates the suspicious back-flicking of the hand. Looks great, as if the coin has appeared on your fingers by real magic.

Spherie
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
A really good, simple trick, and one that offers nothing but chances to practice the Tenkai (aka Goshman) pinch, is the Tenkai Pennies (see Bobo; David Roth also has an alternate handling).

Jerry
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
It must be said that David Stone has an excellent coins across(into the spectators hand) that uses the back clip. It is worth checking out.

Corey B.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Quote:
On 2002-09-23 23:06, Spydur wrote:
It must be said that David Stone has an excellent coins across(into the spectators hand) that uses the back clip. It is worth checking out.

Corey B.

...Which is itself I believe based on a Gary Kurtz routine, also worth checking out.
Click to visit:
Mark
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of Mark
Hi all,

I was paging through Bobo's last night but I couldn't find the "Tenkai Pennies". The index and the table of contents weren't of any help... does anyone know in which chapter it can be found?

Thanks,

Mark
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8696 Posts

Profile of harris
You may have the Dover edition.

It is a great book for the price.

The hardback has additional chapters.

Most magic shops carry it.
You can even find it in some public or university libraries.

I found it in a search of books available through interlibrary loans.(World/Cat)

Harris Smile
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
The old version of Bobo's does not have Tenkai Pennies in it.
Click to visit:
jerdunn
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of jerdunn
Sorry for any confusion about Bobo and the Tenkai Pennies; my edition is the 1966 hardback published by Magic, Inc. The trick is on page 373.

Jerry
martyk
View Profile
Loyal user
275 Posts

Profile of martyk
Dan,
AndI'm used gto using gthe forefinger adnand second finger cback clip. Learned it --I thought--from the Tenkai Dimes (Pennies?) Those fingers are much stronger for me and offer a genuinwely tight control over the coin. Angle problems are about the same.
Marty Kaplan
PPS Valuable thoughts about Venon vs. Masque. Thanks.
Spydur
View Profile
Special user
966 Posts

Profile of Spydur
Martyk,

By reading your post I would say that it is not a good idea to practice your backclip while typing. Smile

Corey B.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Backclipping (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL