The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Too popular (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
In the past year I have reached a point where 75% of kids at EVERY party have seen me before! I'm getting 4-5 kids A DAY who yell at me as I walk down the street and lots of parents are asking "do you have different tricks?"

Do you think I should cast mynet to a wider, newer audience or start turning tricks over more?
Joseph_Then
View Profile
Special user
744 Posts

Profile of Joseph_Then
I wish I would be like you one day! Smile

I think you should raise your price by 50%.

And, in that raising of price, change to new tricks to justify the raise in price.
-----

Joseph Then

Singapore Ventriloquist
graemesd
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of graemesd
Friend of mine changes his show completely every year
personally I change bits and pieces

I also travel a good distance - so I often hit brand new audience
I have a had a period where every weekend I have had the same kids for 7 weeks
on the last week they ran riot on me!!

change is good though kids ask me to do some of the stuff ive taken out
Scruffy the Clown
View Profile
Loyal user
Coldwater,MI
233 Posts

Profile of Scruffy the Clown
Both.
I've done very few shows of late but was thinking would it be best to have just one program or not? I think it best to have a couple different programs, say one for a school function and a different one for a birthday party. If a couple tricks overlap, then so be it. But you don't want the little nippers complaining "You did that at my party!"
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
In the past year I have reached a point where 75% of kids at EVERY party have seen me before! I'm getting 4-5 kids A DAY who yell at me as I walk down the street and lots of parents are asking "do you have different tricks?"

Do you think I should cast mynet to a wider, newer audience or start turning tricks over more?

Hi,
I have been in this position for many many years, but I still do not change my show per-se, most of the time if they really want some changes I drop some different routines in. they are routines which fit the same criteria as the originals IE I replace a helper on stage trick with a helper on stage trick, I always change the opening effect because when mum is watching she asked for something different so by starting different it sets here mind at rest.
Phillip
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas:
Do you do the smae exact show no matter what performance you are going to or doing? Just curious. Perhaps it may be time to create a new show. This will allow the kids to see new stuff and get excited again and it may fix your problem as well.

You may not have to change your entire show, but you can change routines within it to make it more frsh for you and for them.

Another possibility is to jump to the next level in your performances by trying a newer market that may increase your fees by doing less shows.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
I am starting to get a lot of referal/seen before gigs. Early on I set up 6 different 30 minute B'Day shows. On my database for a party I list what show I did/do. One of my questions is, "Have they seen me before & where?" If, "Yes", I just look up and see what show and than do a different one. Also each year several routines are changed in each show. Keeps it and me fresh and thinking. Also very good on marketing to DayCares as they can use me 6 times in a 2 year period without the kids seeing the same show.
Yours,
Aragorn The Magician
aka: I used to be BOB (it's Cellini's fault)
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Mago Mai
View Profile
Elite user
Venezuela
485 Posts

Profile of Mago Mai
Nicholas: I have been doing the same show for quite a looooong time Kids love when they know what is to come...Have you ever noticed how many times a kid watch a movie, or listen to a song on an on...They enjoy knowing what is coming next.I wouldn't worried to much. Some ocassions you will notice they will even request for an effect.If you listen to a kid telling what is coming next, don´t let that discourage you.You might start worriyng if they start yelling¨Oh no.Not again...
Mago Mai
http://www.magomai.com
I invite all of you to share some of my magic on videos.Please, CLICK HERE
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Kyle - I have a kids party show made up of 75 minutes of tricks although I'll only perform 45 minutes of that. I then have my stage show for kids which features the 5 best tricks from my kid's party show + 3 other bigger routines. I also have my recycling show "A Big Pile of Rubbish" which has completely different tricks.

I find that kids don't mind seeing a few tricks over and over again but the PARENTS feel like it has to be 'all new' to get good value

Joesph - I just did that! I do 4-5 kids party a week + a ton of school shows and public events with 600-700 kids. Its these shows that get me the most exposure.

The other day I was sitting with my partner at a Café and a small child (4) kept pulling on his mum's sleeve and putting at me looking quite in awe. I was feeling quite smug until my partner told his mother "oh, he's tricky nick". She look at me puzzled for a moment and then said "he's pointing at the Captain Feathersword poster behind you" Captain Feathersword is a HUGE name in kid's entertainment in Australia.

It sure put me in my place!
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas:
Perhaps you answered your own question here. You stated that it is the parents that feel the show has to be all new to get value. If they are feeling this way, and if they are the decision makers, then you can do 1 of 2 things. 1) Fiond a way to convince them that your show still has impact and that the kids still love it. or 2) change your show around enough to market it to the parents as a new show. If they are the ones paying you, then you sometimes have to bite your lip and meet up to their demands.

Another possible solution for you is that perhaps it is time for you to make a change to another market. Maybe one that you have not tried yet that can offer you bigger money and less shows. I am not sure if you have any ideas, but thought I would throw that out there. Hope it helps. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree Kyle. I fact that was my original question!

Who would look for new markets vs who would change their show or try and convince the decesion makers?
Scott O.
View Profile
Inner circle
Midwest
1141 Posts

Profile of Scott O.
Always continue to look for new markets. There may be a reasonable limit to how far you want to "cast your net," but do try to widen your scope a bit. You may discover some untapped arena for your shows. Or at least a new and appreciative audience.

At the same time, if you performed a totally different show for your stage show, this would then keep your smaller children's party show fresher longer (so to speak). It would limit the exposure people have to those effects. And if you also created an A and B show for both party shows and public shows, you would have more staying power in your nearer markets.

Granted that's a bit of work. But then, you either find new audiences (which usually means more traveling) or you vary your shows. And that, I suppose, is what you are attempting to fingure out.

Scott O.
Do not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time you will reap a harvest, if you do not give up. Galatians 6:9
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas:
I can only answer that question by what I have done myself in the same situation. A few years ago, I had the same problem. I did not change my show that much and found that my referrals and repeat customer work was fairly low if not at all.

The problem was I had no idea I was doing this. The reason was that myself, and many magicians, do NOT think of past customers as important enough to stay in contact with. I felt the same way. It was my belief at that time that I do a show, forget about them and move on.

I realize now that that was a very bad mistake on my part. Many of the shows I now get come from referrals from past clients as well as repeat work from clients I have done shows for already. By staying in touch with these folks, I am building relationships with them and they WANT to refer work my way. It has made a huge impact.

However, with this comes the fact that I needed to change my show around. Too many children were seeing me at multiple shows. This is why I made the decision at that point to create new shows so that I can offer and market these new shows to the same clients each year. I can customize my show to meet their needs of any event now. This gives me much more marketing power.

What I also realized was that creating new shows and routines kept me fresh, my routines became more creative and I was not burning out as much. It gave me more drive to do and learn more.

After doing this for the past 3 years, I decided I also wanted to take a step up and move to a higher market. This way I could see if I could do less shows while making more money. It has worked for me through the festival market.

Hope this helps a bit.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Too popular (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.32 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL