The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Airport security (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
Anybody have any problems or anecdotes relating to taking gimmicks through airport secuity? Im in 2 minds about taking a certain pad through.
Tom.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
For me this is a regular concern since 9/11. Fortunately, I have had no real problems yet.

The thing is that I prefer to travel with my act on a handbag (specially last year, when they were asking to leave the suitcases open all the time). I use a lot of weird objects, not only magic gimmicks, and these are irreplaceable. My only problem was one time in Miami airport. I have a magnifying glass, huge, and the handler is made from a walrus tusk. The perfect weapon for stabbing a pilot if you are visually impaired, I guess... One official saw it and called her supervisor, but fortunately, there was no problem.

A magician friend of mine was traveling with his zippo on his pocket and a security officer was about to take it away from him until my friend said he was a magician. “really?”, said the officer, “then make it disappear...” My friend obliged and was allowed to keep his zippo.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8258 Posts

Profile of pegasus
QUOTE: I have a magnifying glass, huge, and the handle is made from a walrus tusk. The perfect weapon for stabbing a pilot if you are visually impaired, I guess

enriqueenriquez, that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time.
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
What about Flash Pads? I think about buying "In a Flash", so I need Flash Pads. But can I carry them back to Germany via plane?

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
I travel quite a bit and if you can check everything that is questionable.
I ALWAYS have my headset wireless in my carry on with a booktest, (mother) envelopes, music, and couple of other odds and ends, so if the bags are lost or delayed(and that does happen..beleive me!)I can always do both full acts, I work as a hypnotist and a mental act.
if they ever ask me what the mic if for I tell them I sing kareoke!! seriously!!
I have worked in singapore where hypnoyism is illegal!...luckily kareoke is very popular.

cheers Gerard
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
A recent change in airport policy is not allowing any matches in your checked baggage. I had a little matchbox containing not matches but something else of secret value to me (swami's) and when I got to my show, the whole matchbox was gone! They never even opened up the box to see what's inside.

Richard
Tom DV
View Profile
Special user
693 Posts

Profile of Tom DV
That's not a nice thing to happen, I probably wouldn't cause too much of a fuss if this happened to me simply because I wouldn't want to have to explain what was inside, you know? I'd want to keep the secret - even at my expense (though I'd be bloody annoyed!)
- how about magnets? (referring to my first post about a certain pad - I don't want to give anything away.)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8258 Posts

Profile of pegasus
My job involves working on Aircraft and my advice would be to always carry these types of effects either on your person or in your hand baggage, so at least then you can verify the innocent nature of the items. You certainly don't have to give any secrets away.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I've had them look at a small purse filled with bent coins, a large bag of keys, small fake fingertips that had magnets, etc. Usually they give me a look and I say, "Oh, I'm a magician... I use them in my act."
they shake their heads and let me through.
Right after 9/11... and I was in New York at the time, I remember shortly afterwards flying to florida and I forgot I had a FISM flash in my carry on. I saw as the thing went through X-ray and got startled myself by seeing this little wired box in my case, but no one said anything. Now that was scary.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8258 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Unless the Xray machine observer was a Magician. LOL. Now whats the chances of that.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
What scared me is that I knew what it was, but under the x-ray it did look like a small bomb unit.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
B&B Magic
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of B&B Magic
Several years ago I had a shocking pen in my carry on bag. They took it out and I offered to explain what it was and they told me to stand over on the opposite side of a divider. I tried my best to keep a straight face when the TSA agent depressed the button, thinking it was a real pen. He jerked back and stared at me like I had just done something horribly wrong. I explained that it was a gag pen and I could have explained that to him if he would have let me. His associates were laughing so hard and wouldn't you know it, each and every one of them just had to try it out for themselves!
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
I know that in Europe you can take ONE matchbox with you in your personal baggage, but no lighter. You can carry matchboxes in you baggage that you have checked in.

I really wonder about Flash Paper....

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Kephri
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm Sweden
195 Posts

Profile of Kephri
Many years ago I had some problems with a big crystal ball
which I bought in Strasbourg. When changing flight in Zürich
on the way back to Sweden I was stopped by security. They
told me it was a big item in my hand luggage they could not
identify.
I told them "Ah it must be the crystal ball I bought...".
Can't say they looked satisfied with that...it ended with
them asking me to take the package out of the bag and hold
it in my hand for some time...a really silly thing to stand
there with all the people around with a big box in the hand,
of course nothing happened...seems they think you're not too
keen handling a bomb yourself if you happens to carry one... Smile

Some years ago the same thing happened to me at Copenhagen airport...
but then it was because of a large glass sculpture (nothing to do with
magic at all).

What you can learn from this is massive things made of glass
seems to trigg the X-ray in some way. If you have some I think
a good thing is to carry them in your hand luggage to prevent
problem with your checked luggage.

Also if you have tricks based on electronics in your checked
luggage I think a good idea is to take away the batteries (if any)
and either carry them in the hand luggage or get new when you
arrive.

All the Best

Magnus
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2512 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-02-19 18:31, calexa wrote:
I know that in Europe you can take ONE matchbox with you in your personal baggage, but no lighter. You can carry matchboxes in you baggage that you have checked in.

I really wonder about Flash Paper....

Magixx

here in the US there is some discussion of the matches ban, mainly because it is unsure how they could ever enforce it. since if you carry them on your person there is no way anyone would know (no metal), and people like to smoke in the smoking section of the terminal.

as for flash paper, I have always read it is recommened you buy that in your country/location. flash paper is dangerous, and you and others are on a plane in the air. plus, I'm not sure, but the chemicals in flash paper may be detectable, big trouble for you.

s
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I check everything. Right after 9/11. I had a jumbo size coin taken from me. I can't figure out why that would be harmful, but they still took it.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Can you imagine what I to go through when I carry on my Blindfold!?

Richard

PS, Sorry Pegasus, I get so many PM's that it gets full real quick!
A.G.
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver Canada
959 Posts

Profile of A.G.
Richard that's hilarious! YES I DO KNOW!! I carried on your blind fold last year working in cancun that saved my life! I told them it was a sleep mask,because I was allergic to cotton.

Remember.. I lost my bags so I did your act!
Cheers, Andrew Gerard
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
189 Posts

Profile of R Don
I was in Japan a couple of years ago and I bought a bunch of cigarette lighters.They were unusual and inexpensive. One was shaped like a pistol quite large and it looked real. All of the lighters had to be empty if I wanted to keep them except one which I could carry on. It was an unusual sight(I trust) to see the guard lady unfueling the gun.
Joshua Quinn
View Profile
Inner circle
with an outer triangle
2046 Posts

Profile of Joshua Quinn
I once had problems with my RTW. The guards weren't happy about an obviously covert device with a retractable sharp thing. Fortunately I was able to pawn it off as a legit office supply -- "like those pens that fit over the tip of your finger," which were new and popular at the time.
Every problem contains the seeds of its own solution. Unfortunately every problem also contains the seeds of an infinite number of non-solutions, so that first part really isn't super helpful.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Airport security (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL