The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I would like to create my own dime, non magnetic Canadian (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I would like to create Canadian 10 cent piece that is not magnetic. The Canadian dime is magnetic and thus this is why I need to make one that is not magnetic.

First, what do I use to make it? Do I create a mold? What to I use to make the mold? What kind of metal do I use and where do I get that to be able to make it?

Someone suggested I go to a jeweller, but that sounds expensive!!! Also, I would like to know what legal issues are know about creating coins for magic tricks, is this legal? I sent an email to the Canadian Mint and I did get some replies in which they told me that they sent it to their legal department. Then the emails stopped and I have not heard from them since. Sounds like either the RCMP is next and they are doing an investigation or no one wants to get involved!!!! Anyway, the idea is to make a dime that is non magnetic as is the American dime, but since I am doing magic in Canada, I would prefer to keep the currency as one would expect from a Canadian, in Canadian currency. Otherwise people suspect that the U.S. dime is a trick coin.
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I would avoid going to a jeweller. I wouldn't think you would have any easy time finding someone who would be willing to counterfeit canadian currency although yah never know!

I take a dime and put a piece of tinfoil over it to make the copy. Then I would brush epoxy or something over the tinfoil to harden it. That would make a pretty decent mold I would think. As far what to pour into it, you've got me there! Melted plastic perhaps?

-Chris.
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
726 Posts

Profile of Winks
WHOA!!! What you are both suggesting is called counterfeiting. Keep going down that path and you will end up doing tricks to entertain Bubba behind some big walls.
boboshempy
View Profile
Veteran user
Jersey
374 Posts

Profile of boboshempy
Relax Winks, If you think that's bad I am making hundreds!
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Hey Winks.... how do you explain the existance of the scotch and soda coins? And there are many more coins like the 21 cent trick just to name another. Are they counterfeit? Is the long arm of the law after these people that make them?

Go to any magic store and see for yourself Winks! Coin magic must do with what they can.

Thanks boboshempy, those ideas sound great. I can deal with the tin foil and epoxy right at home and it sounds inexpensive. Will have to see what the finished product looks like once it hardens. Thanks again.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3412 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Think "Sand Casting" or "Lost Wax Casting"! Then do a Google search.

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
726 Posts

Profile of Winks
OK, as you wish. I believe the coins used in gafts are either modified from real coins or are made in such a way that it is obvious they are not real. But, if you don't believe me, and it is obvious you all think I am raving, check with the Secret Service. The law is that if you make any currency or coin (and this includes foreign) which could be mistaken as real, it is counterfeiting.
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
I'm Canadian remeber, the SS has no jerasdiction in my Country, but I did ask the Canadian Mint about it and they have yet to respond back to me in a legal responce.

I also do believe it is illegal for anyone to deface a coin or bill, isn't that correct? So even if you modified an original coin, then you are breaking the law. Check with the your SS and see what they tell you.
damien666
View Profile
Special user
canada
513 Posts

Profile of damien666
You can try making a silicone mold and doing a copy out of liquid plastic (if the sound doesn't matter) or if it does, use pewter. For silicone and liquid pastic and making a 'cold cast' (making a plastic piece with metal powder in it), check out your local smooth-on dealer. http://www.smooth-on.com
Good Luck,
Damien
Crossroads Mystic
View Profile
Elite user
Rapid City, SD
498 Posts

Profile of Crossroads Mystic
Gaffed coins are made from real coins. Check out the link in Bloodyjack’s second post on page 2 of this thread for a little insight.

Defacing currents is only illegal, if the defacing is used in a fraudulent manner (example trying to pass a defaced $1 as a $100).

Making your own copies of real coins would be counterfeiting and illegal.

For the effect you're going for does it have to be a dime?

Gavin D.
...from whose bourne,

no traveler returns...

Formerly Mr.Skin

facebook.com/CrossroadsMystic
Winks
View Profile
Special user
Arizona
726 Posts

Profile of Winks
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 21:33, Mr.Skin wrote:
Gaffed coins are made from real coins. Check out the link in Bloodyjack’s second post on page 2 of this thread for a little insight.

Defacing currents is only illegal, if the defacing is used in a fraudulent manner (example trying to pass a defaced $1 as a $100).

Making your own copies of real coins would be counterfeiting and illegal.

For the effect you're going for does it have to be a dime?

Gavin D.

Now just leave them be, Gavin. They already know everything. I wonder, though, if you can access the Magic Café from a prison PC?
kristel
View Profile
New user
Quebec, Canada
87 Posts

Profile of kristel
Hi Troller,

Thake a look toward numismatic collectors and dealers, they carry silver canadian dime that cost about 2 or 3 dollars(cnd)/each. Silver is non-magnetic.

Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Andre Le Magicien
Quebec Canada
Excuse my French...
Brian M.
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Brian M.
Maybe take a look at:

http://www.roykueppers.com/

He might be able to help you out.

Brian
troller
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of troller
Now, no need for negativity Winks. Clarity would be nice also a law degree or a lawyer as a friend!

Yes I do need it to be a dime. Right now I am using an American dime and penny. I would like to switch it to a Canadian version.

Hmmm, a silver dime you say! I never thought about that, will have to look into it.

Thanks
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
I agree, first check the local coin shops for older versions in different metals. I know there zre ways to make replica coins from history, provided they bear a mark indicating they are replicas, also, if your "dime" does not need to be the same size, then you MIGHT have some options.
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
Spatula545
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of Spatula545
I say you go with the silver but if it tarnishes it might make people think its not a real dime.
12 pennies stacked equals the hight of a dime.
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
667 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
There is a product called Precious Metal Clay that you can press into your mold and press the back design. Then let it dry and it can be "fired" at a relativity low temp which will burn off the organic component and leave 99% pure silver. It is used for jewelry. Not cheap. about $30 per ounce while silver is about $7.

Also it would be very difficult getting a mint quality coin.
So, find a real silver dime at a collector if you can.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The problem with precious metal clay (like FIMO, but with metal microbeads instead of PVC) is that when it is fired in the kiln to fuse the metal microbeads and drive off the matrix, it shrinks by quite a bit, retaining the shape perfectly. So you would get a dime that is too small by 20-30%, unless you figured out show to start with one that was just exactly too big.

Yours,

Paul
Tokyo Williams
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
126 Posts

Profile of Tokyo Williams
While there's some great discussion going on here, I'm
surprised no one seemed to branch off in the obvious
tangent -- Canadian dimes are MAGNETIC?!?! Why didn't
anyone tell me this? You mean to say that there's an
entire country of people to the north walking around
with pre-gaffed coins just wainting to be used for
any number of effects? Is this fact exploited often?
Meaning, does every Canuck school kid eventually learn
some sort of magic trick/bar bet that utilizes this
fact? And secondly, why are they magnetic?

Discuss...I'm off to slap my collection of euros, pounds,
duetchmarks, and kroners against the fridge to see what
else I've been missing.
I have nothing to say
And I am saying it
And that is poetry.
-John Cage
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
The person that first taught me to influence metal with my mind suggested that I start with the lightest coin I could find. That happened to be a Canadian dime. I had no idea that they were attracted by magnetism. You learn something every day here.

Yours,

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » I would like to create my own dime, non magnetic Canadian (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL