The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hula hoops linking rings (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1467 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I saw once a routine with hula hoops that were linking and unlinking like the linking rings. does somebody has some resource like a book or video / dvd obout this effect?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5274 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Dick Zimmerman was one magician that performed a linking hula hoop routine. He published it years ago but it is easily found. You might check out:
http://www.ronjo.com/Merchant2/merchant.......e_Code=R

Louis Ganson ("Routined Manipulation" fame)came up with a routine after seeing Dick Zimmerman present his Linking Hula Hoops. Ganson marketed it through Superem Magic (UK). Denny has a used booklet listed:

http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=006647
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
I have used the Zimmerman routine for years, It works great.
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
At the recent SCAM 2005 convention in Columbia, SC, a magician from New Jersey had a very original and creative act, part of which involved a routine with linking hula hoops. I'm sorry that I don't remember his name -- it was Greek in origin. He had a 50's themed act that won 2nd place in the stage contest. You might be able to find more information from other convention goers. Hope this helps.
Bill Citino
View Profile
Special user
Doylestown, PA
827 Posts

Profile of Bill Citino
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 19:20, dlhoyt wrote:
At the recent SCAM 2005 convention in Columbia, SC, a magician from New Jersey had a very original and creative act, part of which involved a routine with linking hula hoops. I'm sorry that I don't remember his name -- it was Greek in origin. He had a 50's themed act that won 2nd place in the stage contest. You might be able to find more information from other convention goers. Hope this helps.

If this is the same performer that I saw at the MAES convention in N.J. then I can't really say that I'm too fond of the routine. The routine in general was a great routine however in the very beginning he had exposed the key ring in a way that I didn't really like. Other than that one moment the entire act that he did was excellent... However I saw this routine back in September and that is the part that still stands out in my mind, although he may have changed it since then.

-Bill
CitinoMAGIC: SLEEPLESS NIGHTS eBook - AVAILABLE NOW!
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Someone used this in competition at Magi-fest this year. It was OK.

I think the hardest part is handling the hoops gracefully. Since they are so big, you really need to have the coreography worked out well.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
644 Posts

Profile of eb02
I have Dick Zimmerman book and if I am correct he is using 4 rings with out a key ring...
Eran
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 21:12, Bill Citino wrote:

If this is the same performer that I saw at the MAES convention in N.J. then I can't really say that I'm too fond of the routine. The routine in general was a great routine however in the very beginning he had exposed the key ring in a way that I didn't really like. Other than that one moment the entire act that he did was excellent...

It may not have been the same guy. After I complimented him on how well he had concealed the key he told me that he was not using any "key" hula hoops. His handling had me fooled.

By the way, his act was silent and performed to 50's rock music. Sound like the same guy? He was in his 60's but looked younger and very fit (muscular).

Dale Hoyt
flowmo
View Profile
New user
England
57 Posts

Profile of flowmo
Has anyone thought of doing linking rings with hula-hoops, as in the crisps. New idea?
Magic is art
art is magic
Robert Kohler
View Profile
Special user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
520 Posts

Profile of Robert Kohler
Crisps?
We judge ourselves by our intentions - others judge us by our actions.....
<BR>
<BR>B. Wilson
flowmo
View Profile
New user
England
57 Posts

Profile of flowmo
Potato chips or whatever you call them. Or maybe an onion ring linking ring effect.
Magic is art
art is magic
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
There is a ton of stuff in the literature of things linking. (pretsels, rings, lifesavers, even headbands.) Its good stuff due to the immediate visual knowledge that its not possible.
flowmo
View Profile
New user
England
57 Posts

Profile of flowmo
Do you know of any sources?
Magic is art
art is magic
Farrell
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of Farrell
Linking Hula hoops is awesome. I use it in my kid shows. kids identify with them and it is strong magic. I get a great reaction out of them and even have the adults oohing and ahhing over it. and the fact that there is no key is even better. that way there is no flashing possible and the audience has no chance at catching you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Hula hoops linking rings (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL