The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic and secrets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
BlackShadow
View Profile
Special user
London UK
666 Posts

Profile of BlackShadow
Or indeed "you're" both right. Affect - verb, effect - noun (generally). But isn't the usage above a double entendre Smile Haha, where are these grammar hosts when you need them Smile

If some magicians are angry, Emeline, it doesn't necessarily mean they are right in respect of the greater good. They may be angry because they have their own self interest at heart. But sometimes that view does coincide with the moral decency to respect the work of others.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some dictionaries are better than others.

A person has an affect, or be affected by an event ( ie internal emotional state). A force may have an effect upon a thing.

When we levitate a person we effect them. When we entertain a person we affect them.

Let's not get into moral decency and people copying and publishing ideas that are not theirs, nor seeking permission to use ideas that are not theirs, nor publishing ideas with proper crediting and citations.

This "family" is large and extended across performers, collectors, inventors, tinkerers, those who just like to play, and those who just like to watch and hang out. People perform for different reasons as well. Some enjoy entertaining others. Some feel elevated when they fool people. It's a very large community.

IMHO its much better to avoid the "secret" stuff and just work on making good presentations and stories. Such is the path to new and intersting magic. Those who have secrets are welcome to their secrets. I could care less about mechanics, and just like to see a performance that looks fun and magical.

Getting back to the new French site. I can well imagine an updated treatment of the Robert-Houdin book where new presentations are offered for classic tricks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Well I stand corrected. My dictionary doesn't have pictures. What I should have said is my dictionary seemed to "diction" the words as similar.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Magic and secrets (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL