We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Top 10 mentalism books now in 2005 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
silversin
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of silversin
Right now at this time in 2005, what would be considered the top ten mentalism books?
Alex
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
The same as last year and the year before that etc. Since not a lot of really good stuff has come out in a few years now.

It would be more interesting listing the top 10 since 2000 and onwards.

Sincerely,
Daniel Young
www.awonderfulmind.blogspot.com
check it out for new products.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 11:20, Vision wrote:
It would be more interesting listing the top 10 since 2000 and onwards.

Sincerely,
Daniel Young

That would still be pretty hard. How about top mentalism book for each year over the last like 20 years or so?
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8333 Posts

Profile of pegasus
http://www.sleightofmind.info/

This is meant to be very good. Not sure at what level though. On the downside, it's not cheap
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
How can it be the same with so many new authours and users?Luke Jermay has added new books, So has Mr Osterlind, Along with Reprint of out of print books such as Max Mavens, Richard Busch has also put out new books, and then we have new users who may have opinions of their own.
My list changes every year, unless you stop buying books, how can it not change?

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
scott b.
View Profile
Special user
734 Posts

Profile of scott b.
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 12:01, Hypnotic Winter wrote:
How can it be the same with so many new authours and users?Luke Jermay has added new books, So has Mr Osterlind, Along with Reprint of out of print books such as Max Mavens, Richard Busch has also put out new books, and then we have new users who may have opinions of their own.
My list changes every year, unless you stop buying books, how can it not change?

H.W

I don't' think this was meant to be easy. I mean the challenge is what makes it so fun.
Thanks! Scott B.

"I don't know the key to success . . . but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Sure I think good stuff has been released. But asking to compile of 10 greatest books of all time, is ridiculous, there are so many of them. That's why I suggested since 2000. Otherwise you will have the same old answers. Corinda, Annemann, Waters etc. It becomes less of a challenge saying of all times, as opposed to between 2000-05

It's just a suggestion.

-Daniel
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
826 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
Quote:
On 2005-02-20 12:01, Hypnotic Winter wrote:

H.W
You may call him Richard. Right Richard?
silversin
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of silversin
I asked about top ten as I knew people would have trouble naming just one or two. we would be years if all were to be named by all members.
RickSilmser
View Profile
Special user
869 Posts

Profile of RickSilmser
There are only 2 mentalism books as far as I'm concerned...
1. Annemann's Practical Mental Effects.
2. Corinda's 13 Steps To Mentalism.

The rest ?... just spin off's of these two works.

~Rick~
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
I'm sorry but how could you possibly think that 13 Steps and Practical Mental Effects is all you need. Yes they are great but they are not the final word on the subject, and are a little outdated wouldn't you think. Do you not wish to evolve as a performer?

How would you no that everything else just spins off these works?
Since you seem to only have read these two books which are all you need.
Do you appraoch other books under this Bias opinion?
Do you live in the Dark Ages?
These books are good don't get me wrong, but Mentalism as a whole has come so far since then, open your eyes.
One day I will write a book
calexa
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1635 Posts

Profile of calexa
Hm, whenyou know the method, very often you get in new books only variations of the old basic methods. Maybe these new methods are more colorful, but in the end only variations.

So I can clearly see the reason why somebody says he needs only these two books.

Magixx
Optimists have more fun.....
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

I could do an entire show with just Practical mental magic and 13 steps, and if I never read another book ever I could get to the age of 100 and still never need other books.
I mean seriously you can get seven good effect for an entire show out of these two and then after a year get anothert seven, then rework them into new one's.
I guess I take it a little personal considering my first show's were from these books and I still use two of my favourite effects from these books due to my having perfected them so well and in my own style.

H.W
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2214 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Hypnotice Winter,

I appreciate your very fine manners and completely understand, but you certainly have my full permission (as does anyone else) to call me Richard!

Richard

PS I have been called a lot worse!!!! Smile
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Whether you can use those two books to construct a show is irrelevant to the original question (which I still think should be changed Smile )
so keep it on topic instead, we have dozen upon dozens of threads that has ended with people debating and saying that you can construct shows from those books.
Books I liked and inspired me, from 2000 and onwards. They may not necessarily be the best of books, but it's the idea's they gave me that counts.

Absolute Magic
Psychology of the Psychic
Building Blocks
7 Deceptions
Peek Performances
Osterlinds trilogy
Peek Encores
Principia Mentalia
The Destiny's Response
From The Other Side
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Thank you for your responce Richard:)

Last year I might have said Absolute Magic as my number one but this year it's the Osterlinds trilogy interestingly enough.
And lately I'm finding untapped idea's from magic books as opposed to a lot of mentalsim ones.

H.W
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
13 Steps to Mentalism (Corinda)
Practical Mental Effects (Annemann)
Larry Becker's World of Super Mentalism
Mind, Myth and Magic (Waters)
ParaMiracles (Leslie)
Making Magic Real (Osterlind) on the how to make it "real"
An Actor Prepares - (Stanislavski) not magic, but great for honing your acting skills

Not in any particular order, but these are some of my favorites... not all, just some...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Daniel,
I'm not familiar with "From The Other Side". Perhaps you'd be kind enough to give a brief outline of the book.
Hello.
Vision
View Profile
Veteran user
London
395 Posts

Profile of Vision
Let me tell you who the author is and why I put it here.

The author is me, but it isn't just a cheap shot at getting attention. This book, as I worked and read my own material, got my head spinning, it opened up so many possibilities for methods and presentations. in recent times there aren't that many books that does this for me, hence I put it on my list.
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Lee, An Actor Prepares is a bible, well mine anyway.

The books for me are:

Peek Performances
Theatre of The MInd
The Colour Series
Mentalism In New Directions
and 13 Steps

I ca not urge any performer strongly enough toward getting An Actor Prepares, Stanislavski's thinking is amazing. I have craeted many a plot for my pieces from his work alone.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Top 10 mentalism books now in 2005 (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL