The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zimmerman Base (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
redbull
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of redbull
I've heard a lot about the Zimmerman base but really don't know what it is. I've probably seen one before in performance or on television. Can somebody explain what it looks like or, even better, give me an example from a magic special on TV or a picture.

Thanks
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
redbull
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of redbull
If I understand correctly, the Zimmerman base concept is to put a raised platform above a base to make it one step more deceptive?
collective foundry
View Profile
Inner circle
1404 Posts

Profile of collective foundry
Redbull: How come there's nothing in your profile?

PS: the zimmerman base Mike posted is more of the modern version if it. the REAL zimmerman base is much much different in its original form
Magic Monkichi
View Profile
Elite user
Ontario, Canada
401 Posts

Profile of Magic Monkichi
My best recolection of a Zimmerman base is Doug Hennings "Fire Dome". Which he used a few times to produce guest stars on his tv shows. I have not seen many performers now adays using the Z-Base. It it worked for Doug, and looked amazing! Just the right amount of psycological misdirection.

Magically yours,

Matt Kielbiski
Quick Change Artist
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I thought the Zimmerman base was counter weighted to move the girl quickly to the top, am I wrong?

If you have video of Doug Henning doing the Fire Dome look at the bottom base right before the cloth comes down and you will see the trap door explode open for a split second. Great trick and super fast.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Yes the Doug Henning fire dome is the actual Zimmerman base. The concept is you have a bottom base then attached to it about 2 feet above it is another platform which is very thin. This leaves a space between the load and the top platform where the girl appears. With proper cloth handling it is a very clean appearance As the audience is left with the "impression" that they could see under the prop the whole time.
redbull
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of redbull
Thanks Scott
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Copperfield has used the Zimmerman base in several illusions, Blackstone Jr. did also. Dick still collects payments for the rights, and will still supply plans, as far as I know.

This is a good question though, as few newbies do not realise that many of the illusions that incorporate the double level base are in fact rip-offs of the principle, with no credit being given to Dick, and are being published/built without any consent, or of course, credit.

Blair Marshall
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
I thnk DC's Snow Base is a beautiful one. The simplistic styling of it makes it so undetectable because he stands on the thing the entire time of the "snow from hands" phase (gosh, I got into that dirty habit of breaking down a piece of magic into phases)

I also think his voyeur base is a stroke of genius. That vanish is scary!!!
habilo
View Profile
New user
germany
44 Posts

Profile of habilo
DC also used it in the "cocoon" and his vertical asrah
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
In Zimmerman Base is the girl moving unaided?
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
If I remember correctly a true Zimmerman uses a form of "assistance" to move the assistant with speed and accuracy. It truly makes the performance one to remember.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

NFox: his would be news to me, I am aware that a Mignon uses a "system" but not sure what the need would be for with Dicks' base.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

(P.S. Would discuss this in a pm - BM)
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
I saw Dick Zimmerman make a girl apear in Hoops on his base and it was only covered around 3 sec. don't see how girl could move that fast.
Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
The Mignon uses "assitamce" as you say, Zimmerman base does not. As for the speed you would be amazed how quickly an assistant can move with the proper design to the illusion and effective cloth handling..
NFox
View Profile
Inner circle
I Do Mentalism Now?!
1101 Posts

Profile of NFox
Blair, I was mistaken. I wasn't thinking straight, thanks for correcting me. (I really should get more sleep). Sorry for the confusion.

Nick Fox
"Obscuring Reality"- Gone but not forgotten...

FoxIllusions.com
illusionman2
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of illusionman2
Thanks for clearing that up for me. The plans that Osborn sell of the Mignon $25 does not use assistance but I have seen a Mignon Osborn Plan in Geni that did.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Thank goodness I am not losing it.

Blair Marshall
magic-taylor
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of magic-taylor
Does anyone have contact info for Mr. Zimmerman?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Zimmerman Base (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL