We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small hands (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Rafa
View Profile
Regular user
Costa Rica
102 Posts

Profile of Rafa
I know you'll see a lot of "size doesn't matter" and then look at the huge deck and think "Yea, right", but unless you're trying some incredibly difficult stuff, you don't need big hands. Check some of the postings in the forum, there's a lot on small hands and they all say the same. Bridge size cards is a good option, and when someone gives you a deck of their own, just don't palm and you're safe.
Jhonsky
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
112 Posts

Profile of Jhonsky
I know some young magicians here locally. I mean, they are like 9 or 10 years old and they can pull off some great sleights smoothly. So, I think it's more of the "What to do about it" sort of thing. I mean, if a you can't palm a card because your hands are too small, then try to avoid palming in your tricks and use something else instead, coping possibly.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
He may not be well known to many out there but Graham Kirk had small hands and not only was he superb with cards but he did some amazing Jumbo coin and CD manipulations.
You just have to work it.
Cheers and Good luck
phread
View Profile
Elite user
md
486 Posts

Profile of phread
I have finally decided to chime in...as I am one with small hands I have found that it does matter!trying to do moves, cuts, sleights, etc with bridge cards is the way to go. look at photos of dai vernon wrapping his hands around the deck until his thumb and middle finger touch and you'll see what I mean...it is called proportionality. the thing that makes a pinky break effective is, it is hidden by the hands! and anyway it ain't the sleight, its the routine and presentation that matter, so if you can do the ambitious card w/bridge cards who cares.
Deckless Wonder
dgcuff
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
193 Posts

Profile of dgcuff
My wife has small hands and convinced herself that she couldn't do the one-handed Charlier cut. It was pretty much the first card "move" I ever taught myself, and she reasoned that if I could do it, she could do it too--until she tried.

She gave up. Then we went to the CAM convention, where people kept asking her if she did magic. My wife displayed her hands (which are, I must admit, pretty small--her index finger is smaller than my pinky).

People kept pointing out that Richard Sanders had small hands, and Julie Eng had small hands. It didn't seem to make much impact.

Then we sat and talked with our friends Derick and Dianne Finn. Derick did two things that had my wife practicing the cut immediately!

1. He held his hands against my wife's for comparison purposes.

2. He told her that she could adapt a move if it didn't fit her, and showed her exactly how to adapt the cut.

One of the most important lessons I've learned so far about cards came from the Richard Kaufman video/DVD _Basic Card Technique_, which explains that you must adapt moves for yourself. Slavishly following a demonstration--whether live or captured on video--is a recipe for frustration.

Gosh, I have to write down the exact quote. I've just made it sound pedestrian.

Here's what Richard Kaufman says on the video/DVD:

"One of the things you never hear when people tell you about card magic... or read in any book... is that all generalizations are a load of crap. Each person must do his magic differently. Each person's fingers are differently shaped and of different sizes--the palm of the hand, the muscles, the tendons. Overgeneralizations are almost always wrong. You must find the way that works FOR YOU."

No fair pointing out that Kaufman is himself using generalizations. Smile
Links to help Canadian magicians
http://magicinfo.ca/

Follow me on twitter
@magicinfo_ca
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
It seems that this issue is more relevant with cards--but what about coins and small hands. Does it make a difference? Also, do big hands make it harder with small objects like coins?

Ellen
fantom
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of fantom
I to have small hands and for a long time would only use bridge size cards, but I soon realized that there will be a time in every magicians life when he or she is caught unprepared and must use a borrowed deck. Since you will have no control over the type of deck available in these circumstances, you should practice for this eventuality with diferent types of cards. I have practiced with full size cards and find that after a while they will become comfortable to you.
I hope you take this advice to heart.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Small hands (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL