We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You Sure -- or Unsure? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
For some reason, my style is along the lines of "You're thinking of (pause) the number (long pause) 42." Yet while reviewing Osterlind's ETMMM Volume 4, I see this master acting unsure of his mental impressions, as in "Is your number 42?"

I've gone into a performance INTENDING to do this "unsure" bit, but I keep ending up doing the "sure" version. Does anyone find one presentation more favorable than the other? Or is there some principle of mentalism that I just don't "get"?

*jeep!
--Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2269 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
I like to make my presentations more dramatic through making the revelations longer. I make it look like I am finding it difficult to pinpoint an exact thought, make it look like what I am doing really is tough going. I will miss some thoughts purposfully to give the impression that what I am doing, may just be real.

Best,
Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
343 Posts

Profile of dusty
I think you have answered you own question with "my style is along the lines of "You're thinking of (pause) the number (long pause) 42." This is obviously YOUR style. Richard's style suit him.

I personally dislike the "fishing" type of presentation as, if overused sounds, as though you are not prepared to commit to a statement. I repeat "if overused" because, if employed within the right effect it may well be the correct style of presentation for that routine as opposed to utilised throughout the show.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Osiris
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of Osiris
Quote:
On 2005-02-21 08:20, dusty wrote:
I think you have answered you own question with "my style is along the lines of "You're thinking of (pause) the number (long pause) 42." This is obviously YOUR style. Richard's style suit him.

I personally dislike the "fishing" type of presentation as, if overused sounds, as though you are not prepared to commit to a statement. I repeat "if overused" because, if employed within the right effect it may well be the correct style of presentation for that routine as opposed to utilised throughout the show.

I think you're correct Dusty... more to the point, a "real" psychic does his/her best to NOT ask questions but to make direct statements as fact or, at bare minium, enuendo.

Doug Dyment's treatise SIGN LANGUAGE explores this nasty habit we all have when "probing" and lends some interesting insights as to how to side-step the habit of asking questions or at least, how to disguise a question to not appear as such. Though he's dealing with a very cool variation to Grismer's famed Anagram idea, I believe the logic is applicable to much, much more.

Our use of words, the cadence with take with we speak (especially during a revelation) is very important when it comes to how the public views us and lends to us credability. That's not to say that we must all come off as being some mega mind member of MENSA or part of the Ivy League conspiracy (insert rem shot here). But, we must learn how to work with language that is very specific, structuring our statements in a way so as to add to the illusion we are presenting vs. conveying that what we'r doing is little other than a clever trick.

Most of my work with the public these past six years have, as a matter of necessity, been in the role of doing Readings. It's taught me a great deal in how to communicate my impressions to patrons and how to shift my probing actions so that they seem more of a matter of actual confirmation. It's not easy to do but once you catch onto the idea, it becomes an entertaining game of sorts.

A refresher course in WONDER WORDS and possibly some coaching from a good director might be in order. We can all use a tune-up every now and then!
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
2945 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Most importantly, be true to yourself and your natural style of performance.
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
When you use that kidn of unsure language the audience usually convince themselves that it was sure. People always say to mem how did you know, not how were you close. If you didn't hit then it still look ok and if you got close it still looks greratr so long as you use your termed unsure language. If you by some chance botched an effect with sure language people's reactions are to think your a smart alec, they prefere to be routing for you when your unsure. Unsure language seem to make them want you to make a mistake so they can laugh. Don't get me wrong the odd perfect hit goes well but as a working cold reader for what si now 11 years I have found people get instatly suspicious if your too perfect. Banachek makes reference to it in his difining of mental magic and mentalism on his psi series.

Anyway, their my thoughts deawn from experience and seem to tally with those of a good deal of others but it doesn't mean some one couldn't break the mold.

H.W
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
kbiehler
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of kbiehler
Every thing is going on normal, then all of a sudden I stop in a freeze position like I am sensing something, then I come out of it and state the name of the card forcfully like it had just poped into my head. The change of pace grabs their attention even though it is only for a split moment. Again this is based on the way Richard Osterlind does it. Also, when I first brought out a deck to use the BCS, the first thing I was asked was 'could they shuffle the deck'. I said if they realy want to make sure this is on the up and up, just think of a card. Then I went into the "test Conditions" BCS effect.The result was unbelievable! Kent
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
I usually go by the 'unsure' method as I think it allows a way out if I were to have made a mistake in readings. This is something like the cerebus theory mentioned in TA Waters Book Mind Myth and Magick.

In addition, Banachek also said in his psychology subtitles that (not exact words, but a summarised of what I presume he meant) when performing tricks that does not hit 100%, we should not let the audience be aware we are even doing anything. If it succeeds, then it will be a miracle, if not, then jus make it seem like a normal conversation and hence the audience will never know you failed.

Thus, by goind direct into naming their thoughts, IMO it will be hard to get out in the event that you named it wrongly

jus my thoughts.

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Has anybody seen “Medium”, the new show from ABC featuring Patricia Arquette?

I think is an interesting thing to watch in order to define what kind of things audiences expect from someone with “psychic” powers. All the clichés are there.

Back to the sure-unsure thing... I guess that as humans, we could be more assertive some days than others, and we can use the sure-unsure thing depending on the environment, situation and kind of audience.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4900 Posts

Profile of landmark
What is the experience of mind reading for you like? How does it affect you? What part of you knows it first? How does it make you feel? What is your attitude towards your ability?

All good things to explore. I believe once you answer these questions for yourself, the way you relate to others with your revelations will be more interesting and complex than just "sure" or "unsure."

Jack Shalom
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Are You Sure -- or Unsure? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL