The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "That magician had real psychic powers"... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
Someone once told me that he saw a magician that had real powers. He truly beleived that even if the guy was known as a "magician", he also had real powers. He described me what the magician did that was so convincing, and I could understand that it was the "Human Levitation" that is explained in the following site:

<link removed by staff>

Even if I tried to explain him that it was a "trick" and that physical laws are behind the secret, he was still sure that he had witnessed the demonstration of real psychic powers.

Maybe my capacity to convince was not great that day, but we must admit that the "human levitation" effet can have a long-lasting impact in the mind of the audience. It is impromptu and allows freedom for presentation.

I have never tried it, but I'm willing to try, but I wonder about this..

-Do you think that this is a key element: "The person to be lifted thinks "down" and imagines him or herself to be sinking into the chair" {in the text}

If it has something to do with the body relaxation of the person to be lifted, does it mean that we should always do the levitation with a suggestible person... I mean someone who could be hyponotised easily?..

Here is the link of the text again (if you need to refer):
<link removed by staff>

-One more question: Have you ever seen this trick performed on a stage? Does it have the same impact?

Thanks for your advices,

Jean-Denis
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
127 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
Richard Osterlind has included this effect on vol. 3 of the Easy To Master Mental Miracles DVD. http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/storeetmmm.htm
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
Thanks for the link. Is there a real demonstration with spectators on the DVD?
DoctorAmazo
View Profile
Special user
Florida
643 Posts

Profile of DoctorAmazo
As a child, I saw this done. One of my father's friends was an amateur magician and orchestrated it at a dinner party at our house.

I believe the "pressing down" is an important part of it. By tiring the muscles in the "down" direction, they become unbalanced and lifting a person takes much less effort than they anticipate. It is far more impressive to the lifters than the spectators.
cougar261084
View Profile
Elite user
460 Posts

Profile of cougar261084
Wait you tried to explain how it worked to him?

shame on you
Jordan Waller
View Profile
Special user
London
610 Posts

Profile of Jordan Waller
Its to do with body tension. And auto-suggestion.
One day I will write a book
Jean-Denis
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
126 Posts

Profile of Jean-Denis
Thanks Doctor Amazo and Jordan for confirming me that it really has something to do with body tension or muscles and auto-suggestion. I think I should then try with someone that seems more participating and suggestible than other ones. But I wonder if it works even if the person is not so suggestible, just in case I would get someone with low-autosuggestion by mistake.

cougar261084, don't worry.. I once also saw this old classic in a book in the library of my university. The book was from "Gerard Majax".
Nicholas
View Profile
Special user
I predict that I now have
900 Posts

Profile of Nicholas
The suggestion that the seated individual think down or up is an indirect suggestion for those that are attempting the lifting rather than for the seated person. So, the suggestibility of the seated person has nothing to do with it. The suggestibility of the lifters could effect things, but this works with just about anybody because of the muscle response and, perhaps, the subtle peer influence. DoctorAmazo is correct in saying that this is more amazing to the participants. Therefore, in most situation, I would not make this part of the performance. You would have to give this quite a spin for the spectators to feel much wow-factor. If you were going to do it in front of a group, this is the aspect that I would give the most attention...that is...how can I suggest to the spectators that this is really impossible under normal circumstances.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I usually do not perform a lot for family members. But last Christmas eve they started to beg me to do just one trick. This is the first thing that popped into my head. (I had just finished watching ETMMM 3)

My cousins all look at me differently now. They had seen me do a handful of fantastic effects, but for some reason this one put me into another level.
DangerMouse
View Profile
Special user
LONDON CITY
507 Posts

Profile of DangerMouse
How come the link to Osterlinds site is there but the original sites posted by Jean-Denis have both been deleted??

Curt.
Cheese is nothing but thick milk.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » "That magician had real psychic powers"... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL