The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What would you do? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I have a show coming up that will have people from ages 3 to 80. What type of show would you do? Would you do an adult show with a couple kids show effects? A kids show with a couple adult tricks?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Chichi,

IMO you are looking to do a Family Show. A combination of children's and adult's effects. When possible, effects that are both for young and old.

For my style, I keep the family stuff visual and humourous. For example, adults will often enjoy a children's effect that is humourous and children can follow an adult effect that is visual.

Good luck!

Rob
magicnewb
View Profile
New user
USA
77 Posts

Profile of magicnewb
Yea RJE is completly right, although it depends which age group there is more of. if there are more children, do more children tricks and vice versa
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I guess the problem I am having is my stand up for adults is about 90% mentalism. My kids show obvioulsy is not. I am not sure I can mix that up that much.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I agree, children can follow and enjoy an adult effect that is visual.

Rope effects, a milk picture, dove effects, silk to egg, silk productions, 20th century silk routine, paper balls over the head, etc, etc. There’s many, many effects out there that’s fun to all.

It’s ok if one or two of the effects does go over the heads of the smaller children. Just don’t over do them. Don’t expect to completely please a family type audience with only mentalism and cards effects, it will take more.

Tom
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I wouldn't do card tricks on a stage. I will have to use some mentalism though.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Adults love kids sucker tricks such as Run Rabbit Run, Die Box etc. Open the last door when the kids are screaming and the parents burst out laughing.

Kids love seeing adults being foolish. Fantasy magician is a great option.

Bill to lemon is also great.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Bill to lemon that is a great idea. I also will do PB & J. I have noticed from most kids shows that adults always talk about that one.
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Keep it visual. Classics such as Torn & Restored Newspaper ala Gene Anderson, Cut and Restored Rope or Linking Rings (That not only have the flash but the attention getting sound) are good for family shows. Keep specific kids show props in but to a minimum.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Quote:
On 2005-02-22 09:36, chichi711 wrote:
I have a show coming up that will have people from ages 3 to 80. What type of show would you do? Would you do an adult show with a couple kids show effects? A kids show with a couple adult tricks?

Which type of show did the customer ask for -- children's, family or adult show? Did you ask if they primarily want a show for the children, or for all ages to enjoy?

Do they have any pre-conceived notions about what is in a show? (Some customers do, but we don't know until we ask them.)

Did you ask the customer about how many children will be in the audience, what ages they will be (how many of which ages), and how many adults?

These are good questions to start with, and the answers can help you decide how to proceed.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What would you do? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL