The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ward Thomas act (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
197 Posts

Profile of R Don
When he passed away there was an ad somewhere that said that his act was for sale. I never heard of anyone performing it. Does anyone know what happened?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ward act was split upon his death. Part of it is with a collector in Minnesota and rest who knows where.

Ward was a friend and I built several things for him. I was also fortunate to see him work for real people and it was great. I consider him to be one of the best "Flash" acts around.

Every once and a while, I get out my tape he gave me just to watch my friend work his special magic.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I saw Ward Thomas at the IBM convention contest, years ago. I thought it was unfair of the IBM to not give him the Gold. They gave him an 'Variety Artist' award. I think that is silly, as all magicians fall in the catagory of 'variety artist' when it comes to performing.

He was a gracious person as I gave him my production hats, and he sent compensation anyway. He was working on a large production of assistants all producting a large sun hat at the same time. I believe this was in conjuction with his 'No box - sword box' idea. I never heard if he ever finished developing it.

Yes the Linking Ring Magazine has an ad about him, it was published by a close friend, as I remember.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Some of Ward's act has just hit E-Bay.

B
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Ward Thomas was a pioneer with the umbrella act. Other acts were his feather flower production and his version of the diminishing silk. Those are the acts he did at magic conventions.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Those were all part of his total act that made him one of the top cruise ship magicians for years.

I was fortunate to know Ward and make things for him. He actually had four to five sets of silks. One was all themed with the Rice Butterflys, another with the Rice Dragons, one with American Flags, and one with Abbott's Santa silks. We used to joke you could hear the magicians with their adding machines adding up the cost of the act. He sure did not have to worry about anyone stealing it on a whim.

His parasol work was developed as a replacement to the doves. It was basically a dove act done with parasols. He wore a short waist coat, not the huge garments that were common with many of the oriental acts. When he took off his coat to do into the second act ( the feathers), all the load holders went with the coat and he was left clean.

He knew how to sell the act. I saw him do a show for real people not just a magic convention. Basically, the same act with some minor touches. But it played very, very well. It always bothered Ward that he was labeled as an act and could never break out of the act mold. He tried adding illusions (Arian Black was his assistant) but it just did not work.

I miss seeing him and this kind of act. I pull out his tape and watch it every once in awhile. Then one fully realizes how far ahead of his time.he was.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I think I saw some of his act on ebay.
-Matt
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, it is on ebay. But unless you understand how it all works and fits together it is useless to a performer.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
What a shame to see it go like that! Ward was top notch, Had the pleasure of working with him In a show for Michigan Magic Day. A very giving soul. Miss him
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Ward Thomas act (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL