The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What! Didn't they clap?! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I thought that we could start a similair thread to the one about jockes that missfire. When I am working the streets I do pretty big circle shows. I use to instruct and drill my audience quite a bit so that they know when to clap and when to booo. I saw a magic show some months ago where a magican, who mas extremely funny, used a special line every time he wanted the audience to clap. (He said: I'm international! and made a funny pose.) I have thought a bit about this and figured that there's have to be hundreds of magicans doing this. So, my question is; how do you make the audience clap there hands. (And I don't meen the obvious situations where appleous are more or less self given...)

/Ark
Don't miss out on the great new mentalist magic: www.metalwriting.com
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Arkadia, was that magician Boris? He does something very similar

Chris
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I don't think so, he is a swedish magican. I havn't seen him since. Can't remember his name either...

/Ark
C.Jakobsson
View Profile
Regular user
Sweden
118 Posts

Profile of C.Jakobsson
Which city? I also live in Sweden...
W.F. Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of W.F. Lewis
Sounds like something that is some times called a "call back".
Or maybe even a "running gag".
I am no expert though..
I just happen to be trying to incorporate that in my act so your topic caught my attention.
I am sure you can research those two tools in comedy and find out a lot about it.
Plus, almost any great performer uses these in a lot of the shows you may have seen.
BroDavid
View Profile
Inner circle
America’s North Coast, Ohio
3177 Posts

Profile of BroDavid
It was on teh street, but I just saw a stage act recently where the funniest part of it was a running line with a child spectator who was brought up on stage for the routine.

The kid kept getting up from a chair on stage where he was sitting as part of the routine, and the kid was so excited that he kept jumping up. And the perfromer, in a deadpan delivery just kept saying "just take a seat, son", and by the 10th time and every time after that, the crowd absolutely roared.

If you can work something in that doesn't seem scripted, the audience will get into it! And if you have a good enough rapport with the audience, you can get away with them helping you out with it.

BroDavid
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
In behavioural psychology it has been shown that you can train people to react. For example - the running gag, where the audience learns that when the performer says "sit down kid", the audience needs to react.

Perhaps you could use this in another way (as to how; I haven't figured that out yet).

Chris
Arkadia
View Profile
Special user
Sweden, Sundsvall
866 Posts

Profile of Arkadia
I quess you could call it a running gag or a call back. Good namnes. I am working on one for myself but I don't know what to say yet. I have thought about something where my stage name is used. So that people will remember my name. (Good for futher bookings etc.) Anyone using some kind of running gag thoughout the show?

Delmondo: I live in Gävle. Moved here last summer. Lived in Falun before that. Works under the name Arkadia (no way!).

/Ark
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
I recently watched Joe Pasquale (British comedian), An Audience With. Throughout his show he gave someone in the audience one of those T-shaped things with a sponge on the end for cleaning windows (I hope you know what I am on about - I probably look really stupid for not knowing its name). Anyway, Pasquale told this member of the audience to hold it up in the air through the show, because it was vital.

Of course, every so often he would let it slip. Pasquale didn't wait until the audience member let it slip and then immediately pick up on it (This would lead to this joke being told too often and also, of course, would tire him out). Every so often he would say "[Name], your letting it slip (again)".

The audience loved it - although his persona is really innocent. Perhaps this could be of help in your running gag.

Chris
TommyTheTremendous
View Profile
Regular user
151 Posts

Profile of TommyTheTremendous
You also might get in trouble with the person. If they are tired of holding it up and and start complaining, the show might not turn out as good as you thought.
- Tommy Magic
cstreet_1986
View Profile
Loyal user
263 Posts

Profile of cstreet_1986
Tommy, I understand this, but as I said - Pasquale played it well (he didn't expect the audience member (AM) to keep it up all the time, just referenced it every so often) - I think it was just a cheap joke that worker incredibly well because he kept it going throughout the show.

-----------------------

On another note; if you feel unsure about something that should get a round of applause, you could tell a joke as well and perhaps get them to laugh. A reason for them not clapping may be because they feel shy in the crowd. When the crowd laughs, the individuals become a group and so don't feel shy anymore - and then hopefully clap (assuming you deserve to be clapped).

Just thought I would add that on to the end of the message because that is what this topic is about, right?

Chris
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What! Didn't they clap?! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL