The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Strength of Bill Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I am constructing a bill routine right now, and I'm concerned that the combination of two effects might actually weaken the magic.

If I tear a dollar bill into fourths, then restore it as a mismade bill, and later restore whole (my story-patter makes sense of these changes), does the mismade make it too obvious that I can't be using the same bill?
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
I would keep the bill in its mismasde state, which leaves you with an impossible object. Michael Ammar has commented on this. if you end by returning it to normal, the spectator rationalizes, "Yeah, I knew it (mismade note) couldn't be real."

There's a similar thread and principle on the wild coin. Say you turn 6 silver coins to 6 gold coins. Changing the coins back to silver is anticlimactic.

Another option is to have some sort of distinguishing feature (holes, like Mike Close's Rubik's Bill, or a signature) that helps to sell the idea of a single bill.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I'm doing this with a borrowed bill, and I don't want to hand the mismade bill back to a spectator! Also, I don't want to seem like I'm requiring them to tip me, so the story brings me back to a normal bill.

How can I make coming back to a normal bill not anti-climactic? Perhaps a flashier method of restoration than a standard 16th-fold bill sw***?

Any ideas for this? I need to motivate a move to my pocket [to ditch-n-switch] but I can't write that part without knowing where I'm going.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Rob Elliott
View Profile
Elite user
Reston VA
487 Posts

Profile of Rob Elliott
Joe,
I don't think it's anti-climactic for you to change a borrowed bill back to it's original form. Once your specs see you tear their hard-earned cash to pieces, restoring it is all they wanat you to do. If you try to give them the mismade bill with a half-hearted apology that you tried, they'll probably even DEMAND that you put it back to the way it was.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Joe, this is just a quick thought--suppose the mismade bill was only half-restored? i.e. you open it out, and it's two torn halves that are mismade. So you don't really have a climax, but you do capture the suggestion of a weird process at work. Now, no one expects you to stop there. And the full restoration gains a bit of suspense to it, since it might restore fully mismade, or normal. Repeating the billswitch technique is permissible here, even preferred, since you're resuming a process you only half-completed.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 15:43, Curtis Kam wrote:
Joe, this is just a quick thought--suppose the mismade bill was only half-restored? i.e. you open it out, and it's two torn halves that are mismade. So you don't really have a climax, but you do capture the suggestion of a weird process at work. Now, no one expects you to stop there. And the full restoration gains a bit of suspense to it, since it might restore fully mismade, or normal. Repeating the billswitch technique is permissible here, even preferred, since you're resuming a process you only half-completed.

That's an interesting thought, but I'm not just doing a "See, I tore the bill and now it's restored...but WRONG" kind of thing. There's actually a story that goes with this routine, and it's obviously not done at the time the mismade bill is revealed.

Basically I talk about my broker messing with my money...diversifying [read: splitting] my investments (tearing the bill), and by the time he was done I had no idea what was going on with my money (mismade). Then he started taking out his fees (folding) like I had money to burn (flash paper).

Here's what I'm stuck on at the moment:
Between the mismade and the folding I need to motivate a movement to my pocket, so I can perform the next phase. Then I need a clever way to bring the bill back, but one that makes sense. I hope this plays well when I'm done, because I've spent a lot of time working on this short routine.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
ReFold the mismade bill and try to "take the quarters apart again" and transform it into four quarters. The mismade bill is gone and you have four coins to return to them.
A climax without the anti-climax.

And then you can segue into an assembly, if you can borrow two more bills...
**Roper**
View Profile
Regular user
Houston
171 Posts

Profile of **Roper**
Curtis Kam, I love your idea about the mismade bill. I think I will try that!

Charles
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Thanks, Roper, I'm liking it myself.

Joe, I see you've got a very focused idea of what you want to say throught this routine, and what you want to happen. It sounds promising, however, it also sounds like this is clearly a story presentation about you, and things that happened to your money. That being the case, borrowing the money might be counter-productive and confusing.

I know traditional wisdom states that a torn bill is funnier if it's someone else's, but how many times can we find that same gag funny? I'd say go with the things that make your presentation unique, and eliminate the stuff that's common to everyone's routines.

No need to restore or return the bill, then. No compulsion to stay on stage too long, or to add anti-climatic or predictable phases. Make your point, and take a bow.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Thanks Curtis. I appreciate that. It helps a lot, because if I don't have to come back to the original form of the money, I can finish my story the way I need to and create a saga into the next effect.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
Clinton Wayne
View Profile
Regular user
148 Posts

Profile of Clinton Wayne
If you just don't do the middle part you could borrow a bill, lets say ten bucks. Have one in your pocket already restored and then take the laymens and really rip it up, showing your hands empty, then do a fake take to make it disappear. Then, before they panick, reach into your pocket and say, "Now it's over here, and don't worry, it's back together". Now hand them the bill back, (which is really your bill) and when the bill reappeared in your pocket, you grab the restored one and ditch the ripped pieces. Then, just tape it up at home, I have done it over 100 times and it always gets a fantastic reaction and creates a lot of conversation. As a pro of thirty-two years, just skip the middle and go right for the guts of the trick, that's what I have always done anyway! Good luck on you journey Joe, whatever you do, do it at least 50 times in a row one night before taking it before most laymen. Ok, Im sure it will be great. So great to have everyone helping!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Strength of Bill Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL