The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My Children's routine need ADVICE PLEASE (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
I did a show last weekend and the show went alright. I did mess up a bit but after the show the parents said thank you and I left. I later emailed the parents thanking them for having me perform and asking if they could write me a letter. The response was that their kids really enjoyed the show but they wished that the magic show was a little longer. Here is a break down of my show.

1) Opening - I pull out a bag willed with some effects such as vanashing hankerchief, d-lites, mouth coils and then doing the ninja rings
2) Balloon Bag ala Jeff Hobson routine
3) 5 min pocket hankerchief (quentin reynolds)
4) Magic coloring book
5) Change Bag ( Pulling out an 8 foot Pole as finale
6) Hippy hop rabbits
7) Run rabbit run
8) Vanishing Bandana
9) Dove pan (Sponge cake and candy production)

I thought that this was a good length for a show. Do you guys think this is a good show routine? Also... I was thinking maybe that the parents just wanted more for their money. This the first time I had a complaint about the length of the show. Should I try to stretch the effects to 5 minutes per effect?

Also I forgot to leave the parent my business cards but I did give the children each a balloon animal, a magic wand and my activity booklet. The Activity booklet is another issue. Should I put the my contact information on the front page of my actvity booklet?

Please let me know.
Thanks
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Sounds like a good show. But isn't Run Rabbit Run and Hippity Hop Rabbits almost the same thing? What did you do between tricks? Did you make it fun for the kids or just show them the tricks?
Yes, you should have had your contact info on the book. You can't forget to give out the business cards. That is how you will get booked again. How much was the show and how long was it? How old are you? This will all gelp in finding out if your price was too much or what hapened.
-Tyler
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1177 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
When you book any show you should always agree on the length of the show (kid show or adult show). Some parents have very tight schedules for parties and if the show is too long they don't have time for the cake or something. If it is too short the kids go wild because there is no structured activity.

It sounds like you had enough material there for 45 minutes to an hour. How long was your show?

My b day party show ususally runs for about 45 minutes and then I make balloon animals for 10 minutes or so. With set uo and tear down I am usually there about an hour.

Mike
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2766 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Yes it does sound like a good show. Sometimes we do go a little to fast and some shows will just naturally move faster than others, but unless you flew through each routine this should have been good enough. I wouldn’t drag out the effects, but would spend the right amount of time on each. It looks like a 30 to 45 minute show easily.

Or you sure it was a complain? You know the saying, “always leave them wanting more.”

Tom
"Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week"--Lori Greiner

www.tomboleware.com
SanCho14jfm
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of SanCho14jfm
Whenever I book a show the parent and I agree on a time length for the show. I perform a show based on how long we have agreed to have me there for. This garuntees the parent to not be let down becuase they know how long you will perform for.
SanCho
Harv
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm building a fence with
1127 Posts

Profile of Harv
1. Exactly how long was your show? With all the effects you listed it should have been around 45 minutes with proper routining.
2. How many of your routines use volunteers from the audience as helpers? Getting volunteers up to help, asking them their age and doing bits of business adds to the lenght of each routine.
3. IMHO use either Hip Hop Rabbits or Run Rabbit Run, but not both in the same show.

Harv
alson
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of alson
Well, one thing I can think of is how old were the kids??? Did you use any of the kids on stage?? I really can't tell by the list of tricks how long your show was ?? I think any where between 30 and 45 min is about what a show run .I do my show with a 45 min in mind ,some times run over or under a little. I know this was wrote before but lost one of the Rabbit trick or atleast put something between
them. And if this is the first time this has happen ,maybe it was not you.Something to think abourt.
Alson
Josh Isenhardt
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of Josh Isenhardt
I've found that a "letter of clarification" or a brief contract do wonders for clearing up misunderstandings. This also, I found, makes you seem more professional. I don't know if this works for anyone else but I hardly do a show without it.
RideorDie99
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of RideorDie99
Thanks for the advice. I do believe that I may have run through the tricks quite quickly without doing much of the byplay between me and the spectators or me and the audience. It was pretty much trick, trick, trick. I'm still putting together the show. I'm thinking of taking out one of the rabbit tricks. Not sure which one though. I think that I will take out the hippty hop or just alternate until I can find which trick get a stronger reaction.

This is my 2nd year performing and getting paid. I got $200 for the 1 hour show. Show plus balloons. The was a mix of age age but there was about 10 kids there. It was still fun.

Thanks for the advice. Any advice from Magic20u2 (kyle) would be appreciated!
STOP DROP SHUT THEM DOWN AND OPEN UP SHOP
Leland
View Profile
Inner circle
St Louis
1180 Posts

Profile of Leland
It all depends on the age of the children. Maybe the parents didn't think it was long but if the kids are the right age the length may have been just right. Younger kids can't sit through a long show, but older kids can. Keep the length of the show long enough for your target audience.
Life of Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » My Children's routine need ADVICE PLEASE (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL