The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darren Brown (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
I was looking at his book absolute magic. what are your thoughts on it. if possible can you pleae give a goo ddescription because I don't want to waste my money. thanks

Denny
Tabasco
View Profile
Loyal user
The Netherlands
219 Posts

Profile of Tabasco
I'm curious aswell, anyone?
the biggest card trick exchange center,
we have over 1600 tricks in our indexes.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Check the Genii forums.
It's currently being discussed in the book of the month section.
ClouDsss
View Profile
Inner circle
1799 Posts

Profile of ClouDsss
Just fyi

Think the book was written long ago when derren was still doing cards and hence, the thinking then and now actually varies. Anyway, check out the Café where they interviewed Derren

And by the way, his name is spelt Derren not Darren Smile. correct me if I am wrong

cheerios
Think outside the box, cos people are all thinking inside now!! - ClouDsss
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
Yes, it is Derren...don't waste anymore time, just get the book. It's VERY well written, and even though it was written when he was doing straight magic, the paradigm he holds for mystery entertainment is surprisingly consistent with what he has now. He has only decided that straight magic as a medium is not powerful enough for his purposes, though he concedes that his model of thinking is not the only valid one. I really wish this was on the required reading list of ALL magicians, Derren is one of the deepest and most insightful thinkers in our art, and when he speaks, the wise would pay attention.
denny_Corby
View Profile
Loyal user
PA
240 Posts

Profile of denny_Corby
Thank you all very much!!!!!!!
dog
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of dog
It's one of my favorite books, a great read. It's all about the theory and thinking in magic, no tricks are in this book.
dan84
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of dan84
Its amazing I've read it about seven times and I find something new everytime.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Darren is actually his real name, lol!
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1040 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
It is a must read. Without going into too much detail it offers derrens ideas on performing close up magic. (some of his thinking can also be applied to the stage as well!)

He sets out his ideal which basically states that in order to make magic more wonderous one has to shift from being the god figure in performance to being a hero figure who has to over come conflict in order for the routines to work. this makes for a much more entertaining performance since the spectators themselves will be drawn into the performance emotionally. (he gives a great example of his theorys in action, when he describes his handling of a classic magic trick).

He then goes onto describe how given the limitations of some performance venues in ana attepmt to describe how one can still perform with this ideal.

Whether or not you find yourself ascribing to derrens perforamnce ideal what he does do is seriously make the reader consider his own perofrmance, his character, and what he wants to achieve in the minds of spectators.

As well as this there is a section on creativity, a different take on pick pocketing and an alternative use for cold reading. And some essays on magic as art.

Whilst on this book could anyone explain the reference to, Becketts "waiting for godot" at the beginning of derren's book. (Before chapter one it says, "enter godot" !!!!....?)
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
I think it's just Derren being ironic and mock heroic...very typical of his style. The figure of Godot represents a promise that is never fulfilled, and has become stale; the clinging to this promise itself becomes the meaning of the play. Derren in making the reference warns us against taking his ideas as the last word on the subject, but it is funny because taken out of context it would seem as if "Godot" - the promise - has been delievered.

Apologies for the crappy attempt at literary criticism...it's 4 in the morning...but Derren's books are punctuated by little nuggets of humour like this that really make them an enchanting read compared to 99.9% of the rest of magic literature.
Smoking Camel
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1040 Posts

Profile of Smoking Camel
Oh right. I did have an idea which was that "waiting for godot" is an urbsurdist play, where nothing happens. The two tramps are waiting for godot who never turns up. There waiting (much like life in these plays) is compleltely random and pointless.

Perhaps derren is saying that if one takes on these ideas and thinks about their perofmrance is thus becomes meaningful instead of pointless and random. Hence enter godot.

Or perhaps its not meant to mean anything at all! just a random funny phrase derren put in!
I no longer smoke camel cigarettes.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I hate to be picky but. . .

"a"bsurdist play

"Their" waiting is . . . (possessive)

And for what it's worth Godot is a metaphor for God.

So, either Derren is telling us he's God, or he's being ironic. Either is very funny.

Again, sorry to be picky.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
916 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Lastnitesfun...I don't mean to be picky, but your username is incorrect. There should be an apostrophe before the "s" so your name would read "lastnight'sfun".

And then there's the capitalization and missing spaces, too. Your name should really be "Last night's fun."
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I enjoyed reading this book. It has som awesome thinking on performing magic.

Derren is indeed one of the most brilliant minds in magic theory.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
enigmatic
View Profile
Regular user
France
174 Posts

Profile of enigmatic
Excellent book for sure ! There are no effect in Absolute Magic but you can catch the thinking of Derren Brown. And I think it's more important than the tricks itself. If I had to choose among Pure Effect and Absolute Magic, I choose this last one.
Real vision is the ability to see the invisible. (Jonathan Swift).

WWW.MAISON-HANTEE.COM
WWW.CHASSEURDEFANTOMES.COM
card123
View Profile
Loyal user
Button moon
208 Posts

Profile of card123
How difficult is the card work in his books.

I heard it is advanced.Is he a good card handler?

Anyone know?
markjens
View Profile
Loyal user
N. CA
213 Posts

Profile of markjens
Card (and others),
Don't buy the book to learn Derren's 'tricks'. They are not earth shaking effects, and much of what he did back then was pretty standard stuff. He was the product, not his tricks. Buy and read the book for what he writes about performing, and magic itself. He is irreverent, sometimes a tad tasteless, but I truly enjoyed both of his books. If he released another, even though I am not a mentalist, I would buy it. I have never spoken to anyone who said they wished they hadn't bought his books. I have only read of praise. When new, they both reviewed quite well, and both were breaths of fresh air at the time. There is little risk here. I don't perform any of his tricks, but a part of both books is in every trick I perform.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
Quote:
On 2005-03-05 12:10, card123 wrote:
How difficult is the card work in his books.

I heard it is advanced.Is he a good card handler?

Anyone know?

Derren's card skills are excellent but the stuff in Pure Effect is pretty standard and not earthshattering in the way Lennart Green or Pete Duffie's stuff is. If you want to see it in practice, check out The Devil's Picturebook which contains his card repertoire and a brilliant skit at the end.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Quote:
On 2005-02-27 06:02, Jeff Haas wrote:
Lastnitesfun...I don't mean to be picky, but your username is incorrect. There should be an apostrophe before the "s" so your name would read "lastnight'sfun".

And then there's the capitalization and missing spaces, too. Your name should really be "Last night's fun."

That's funny, my birth certificate says "Lastnitesfun".
What would Wavy do?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Darren Brown (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL