The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey's Three Coins Through A Glass (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
At the world Seminar in Las Vegas, Mickey performed his Three Coins Through A Glass for the first time, as well as his Coins Through His Body.
Needless to say, the crowd loved his material. Everywhere he went, Mickey was stopped and asked to do his magic, and this was in front of some of the best magicians in the world.
Hopefully someone else will comment because Mickey is my very close friend and I do not want to sound biased.
vinny

ps The convention was a huge sucess.
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Dredz
View Profile
Loyal user
La Famiglia! East Coast
257 Posts

Profile of Dredz
I talked to Mickey after his show on the phone. It was hard to get a word in because of all of the congratulations that Mickey was getting. I heard that Mickey was one of the highlights of the convention. Congratulations!
Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-23 23:11, Dredz wrote:
I heard that Mickey was one of the highlights of the convention. Congratulations!

Real talent can't be surpressed. Smile
CONGRATULATIONS
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
GeorgeSantos
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1106 Posts

Profile of GeorgeSantos
I wish I could see him perform LIVE... and I'm still waiting for his "to be released" work. Smile

He is really taleneted. More power and CONGRATULATIONS.
"David Roth is the greatest coin manipulator in the entire world.."

-Dai Vernon "The Professor"

I AM A FILIPINO MAGICIAN
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
First, I'm glad to hear Mickey was well received at the convention.

However, once again, we have more MICKEY gossip.

Just couldn't keep quiet and let us see this thing as a surprise?

What next, video clips being shipped out around the web?

Gossip is bad enough, magic gossip is truly sad.

Does it make folks feel useful to spread word of routines that are not in print, and just premiered? Do they take any responsibility for the copying this practice encourages?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Aahh, you can always count on Jonathan to put a damper on things.

Jonathan, do you EVER have anything positive to say?
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 07:42, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
we have more MICKEY gossip.
What next, video clips being shipped out around the web?

Gossip is bad enough, magic gossip is truly sad.

Does it make folks feel useful to spread word of routines that are not in print, and just premiered? Do they take any responsibility for the copying this practice encourages?

What "gossip" are you talking about? All that was posted was the briefest description of the routine (i.e. coin through glass; coin through body), and the fact that the crowd loved it. These neither tip the secrets nor spread gossip.

It sounds like you are trying to defend Mickey’s right to publish first before any mention of his effects are posted. However, he did perform these routines publicly at a convention, so he clearly has no issue with people knowing about these effects (distinguish here knowledge of the effects from the knowledge of the secrets).

So while you might have an argument if Mickey’s secrets were being exposed, it's unclear what “right” you are protecting if all that was mentioned was a mere description of the effect.

It might help to take a deep breath and count to ten before you post… Smile
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8709 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Awwwww, Ol' JT means well, but he can be "dampening" at times. More like a school master than a school mate. Smile Not sure of his ranting here about what's not right this time, but his recognition of Mickey is always followed by some other stuff, and he ain't the only one. But hey, that's the way it is. Not a big deal really, just things as usual here. Smile

Anyway, always glad to hear when Mickey does his thing. Werner is right, you just can't keep a good man down. Smile He's really talented and creative and continues to explode the "criteria" of what's best and why. He's really as good and maybe even better than the guys that say what's good and why, the registered arbitors of good taste and magic. Smile I still say that Mickey in a showcase with some of these more recognized giants would prove most interesting. Hard to believe any of these guys could watch Mickey and not see true brilliance in what he does, without a manuscript, lecture notes, not even a dvd for sale. Remarkable! Great work Mickey, and I'm sure Vinny was wowwing them too. His stuff is gaffless and great to watch. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27096 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Again, glad folks enjoyed Mickey at the convention.

Though from the reactions here... it sounds like the video clips are already flying over the internet. What was special for those who attended becomes gossip among the rest of the community. Isn't keeping things secret supposed to be part of being a magician?

I'll ask Mickey in a few weeks if he's gonna put the trick on another video.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Good to hear things went so well with Mickey, nice news for a nice guy. I heard that guys were continually impressed with the retention vanish, no doubt he couldn't go anywhere without people stopping him to see it. It is definately a great looking move.

Good to see you haven't stopped tying to compare him to others Marion... keep up the good work.

Dan
Click to visit:
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8709 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks Dan Smile You da man! Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Smile
Click to visit:
DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Another Mickey thread? We hear "Mickey is great" so much here I feel like I'm on a Disney forum! It's funny how someone always says "I don't want to seem biased..." but it's always the same people posting about him. Maybe there hasn't been any talk in awhile and like a good promoter they restart the buzz. Maybe I'm just tired of being told how great Mickey is. Maybe I've heard so much, nothing he does will live up to my expectations. It is unfortunate, but it's the truth. Mickey seems like a nice guy and I have seen him on the video he sent out to me. All I'm asking is for someone to show a little restraint and not deem Mickey as the saviour of coin magic. I don't think he would put that title on himself.

P.S. Not to defend Jon but his post was not negative...mine IS.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8709 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Like I said, "...Ol' JT ain't the only one..." Hey DVA, just a thought but you could simply not aggravate yourself by not reading the Mickey strings - ya think? I think folks will continue to speak about Mickey not because he's a "saviour" or anything but because he's real good and this was yet another venue he excelled in. Seems ok to speak about that (of course, not that anyone has to ask you or anyone else what to speak about here). Smile Just like these folks who speak positively, you also can always count on folks to present the other side like clockwork. So, all the folks on "both" sides are the same it seems. Smile So everything is as it was and you're still there where you were about it all. I think that's fair enough. Smile

DVA
View Profile
Regular user
142 Posts

Profile of DVA
Can't help it Mb217. I get sucked into it. Presenting the other side is always what I'm about. Thanks for noticing.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8709 Posts

Profile of Mb217
No problem DVA...Smile You da man too. Smile

Werner G. Seitz
View Profile
Inner circle
3131 Posts

Profile of Werner G. Seitz
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 10:27, DVA wrote:
Another Mickey thread? We hear "Mickey is great" so much here I feel like I'm on a Disney forum! It's funny how someone always says "I don't want to seem biased..." but it's always the same people posting about him.

Well, let me put it straight Smile

I did read all of what you wrote, to start with..
Let me say one thing.

Whenever I see something extraordinaire, I recognize it.

I've seen the *Greatest* in the field of magic and I was lucky to meet some of them personally.

Mickey does not solely do one single thing, and does it well, but he does incorporate that thing into incredible deceptive and touching routines, which again reminds me of what Dai Vernon once (actually a lot of times) mentioned.

Quote from Genii, April 1977 *The Vernon Touch* ::

I told Albert Goshman years ago, "If you do one thing - I don't care if it is vanishing a coin by sticking it in your collar, or a coin roll, or whatever. If you do it better then anyone else you will make a great reputation for yourself. People will say, 'You should see Albert (replace this with MICKEY) do that trick. Did you ever se Albert (MICKEY in this case) do that?', etc "

The above pretty well frames it.

Mikey has used a single move and by intelligent thinking, he does it better than anybody else I have ever seen, using a similar move.
He not only did that, but he did use it very intelligently in a couple of outstandingly deceptive routines.

This doe not lessen at all the impact great coin-perfomers, like for example, David Roth and a lot of others have made on the community. It simply is the recognition that here is a guy that is outstanding and different, a newcomer (officially) to the world of expert coinmagic, a guy that is a pleasure to watch performing.

Believe me, it is very seldom I get exited regarding performers. I've seen so many very good ones I love to watch, but once in a while something oustanding pops up, and in this case it did.

It's not the sleight, it's the perfomer that *touches* you!
The way he performs, different to what we have seen earlier.

Somehow I have the feeling, some of the established and well known coinworkers dislike to accept a such new talent. Their loss!

They've had their time, they are already recognized as some of the greats, no reason for envy.

Dai Vernon always recognized and accepted new talents, somehow it looks to me that 'some' others don't!
Learn a few things well.....this life is not long enough to do everything.....

( Words of wisdom from Albert Goshman ...it paid off for him - it might
as well for YOU!!!- My own magic is styled after that motto... Smile )
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
In all my dealings with Mickey he seems like such a nice, genuine, and humble guy. He definately has talent, I don't think anyone can deny this, established coin workers or not. Maybe I am naive, but I don't think anyone would have any problem with Mickey himself. I personally have yet to see any established coin workers say they don't recognize and accept Mickey at least that post here...
Click to visit:
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10720 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Well, I started this post, and I just wanted other opinions from magicians that were at the World Seminar. I've came back a day earlier, and I am biased.

Our own Steve Brooks sent Chris Kenner to see Mickey perform his unusual and original material. This is what the buzz is all about. He dosen't just pull coins from his sleeve or do the famous hand wash that every one else does.

The other magicians that performed at the competition were in awe of Mickey, and to them perhaps he is a god.

To me, he is a very close friend and he gets very nervous performing.

JT and DVA, this thread was not meant to put Mickey on a pedistal. I just wanted to know what others who were there, and saw Mickey for the first time, had to say.

VINNY
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
576 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
It would be nice if anyone had any videos from his performance to share with us all.

Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Mickey's Three Coins Through A Glass (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL