The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shuffle Bored... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
I have been toying with Aronson’s “Shuffled Bored” and I really like it a lot. Anybody here does uses this effect often?

I’m asking this because the only flaw I see to the method is the fact that volunteers tend to be terrible at mixing cards, and the possibilities of ruining the effect are high. The fact that you ask them to mix face up with face down cards makes even more difficult for them to do it, because of the light bending that all cards have.

Still, the effect, when it works, is a true miracle.

If anybody can give any hint about how to reduce the risk, I will appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,

EE
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2512 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
If you are using a table, you can use the technique where the cards are spread on the table and the spectator "pushes" the cards together.

s
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Mr. Sponge's idea works wonderfully.
Also, it's a great idea to ask if anyone present plays cards a lot ("since I'm going to need help mixing these cards up") - those who say yes will probably be good at shuffling.

I adore this effect and use it whenever there's a deck of cards around - it can be easily set up without arising suspicion. I present it as a remote viewing test and it always goes down well.
Hello.
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I think having the spectator shuffle is a mistake. It tells the spectator that the effect works itself without the performer. Why give away this much information and reduce your credit?

Gianni
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
What the devil do you mean?
Hello.
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Thanks everybody for the replies.

Gianni, Do you present it as a feat of sleight of hand?

I’m curious.
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2512 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 13:45, Stephen Long wrote:
Mr. Sponge's idea works wonderfully.

it's a great idea to ask if anyone present plays cards a lot ("since I'm going to need help mixing these cards up") - those who say yes will probably be good at shuffling.

sponge is fine thanks, Mr. Sponge is my dad. LOL Smile

the idea is of course not mine, I *think* it might usually be credited to Juan Tamariz, but I cannot be sure, so I will just leave it at that.

indeed, the creator himself suggests the very same patter.
and Gianni, and am also curious to your opinion, as the creator himself suggests using one/two spectators. and I imagine he has performed it enough to gage an audience's reaction?!

thx
s
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
992 Posts

Profile of Gianni
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 14:11, enriqueenriquez wrote:
Thanks everybody for the replies.

Gianni, Do you present it as a feat of sleight of hand?

I’m curious.

I simply present it as an effect in which I slowly and carefully shuffle. The spectators can draw whatever conclusions tthey want from that.

Gianni
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Thanks, I didn’t mean to offend you with my question.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I think this particular effect can be presented in many ways and be perceived in many ways.
For instance, as a standard prediction or a gambling demonstration of knowing how to handle the cards.
Or it can be presented as a forced demonstration... by that I mean you tell the spectators that you will force their actions in the following moments using some sort of verbal or hypnotic technique.
It's one of those effects so amazing to the viewer that I'm sure most of these presentations will come across.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4827 Posts

Profile of landmark
Also look at Aronson's Point Spread in Simply Simon, a great routine that ends with Shuffle Bored. This too can be played in many ways, including gambling demo and prediction.

Jack Shalom
Stephen Long
View Profile
Inner circle
1481 Posts

Profile of Stephen Long
Jack,
Is that the one in which you predict which colour wins and by how many points?
If so, that's one of my absolute favourite routines ever.
Hello.
RLFrame
View Profile
Elite user
447 Posts

Profile of RLFrame
I got Shuffle Bored when it first came out way back when. I have recently switched to "Pre-deck Ability," Aldo Colombini's variation. It's strong. In Pre-deck, four predictions are handed out, the deck is essentially shuffled with some cards up and some down by spectators with a free choice of how many cards they choose to turn over and repeating several times. At the end, the first prediction tells exactly how many cards will be face down, the second tells exactly how many cards will be black etc. If you like shufle bored, you may want to take a look at Pre-deck
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
If this is the effect with the multiple predictions (is x number of cards face down, of those, x number are black, all the red are ....)

Then what I do is to introduce the predictions, and say we are going to shuffle this deck in such a way that it would be impossible to know the outcome, but in spiote of that, I have written down what I believe will happen to this deck. Now, if I were to shuffle these cards, you may think I was stacking the deck. I then split the deck and hand half to the spectator, hand the other st****d half to another spectator, and have them mix the cards however they want (Overhand shuffle, riffle, etc) I then have them place the halves on the table and alternate between them asking them to cut a small stack of cards from either half. I then riffle these face up into face down. We continue this until the spectators are satisfied that the deck is completely randomized. I then finish with revealing the predictions one by one, and verify with the cards.

If you have the spectators handle the cards in their seperate halves, there is no danger of the trick being screwed up.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Thanks everybody for the wonderful answers. I will also check "Pre-deck Ability”.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
4827 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2005-02-25 04:11, Stephen Long wrote:
Jack,
Is that the one in which you predict which colour wins and by how many points?
If so, that's one of my absolute favourite routines ever.

Yes that's it. The power of the Shuffle Bored Principle and the G.P. combined.

Jack Shalom
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Steve Beam has a Variation of Shuffle Bored in Semi-Automatic Card Tricks V. He explains it with the Rolly Polly Controlly pricipal.
james_patrick
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
3 Posts

Profile of james_patrick
See the August 2003 issue of MAGIC Magazine. Simon discusses the trick and various ways that it may be presented. Also included is a template for making a "prediction" booklet with pages that actually can be turned (from 1 sheet of paper), logically presenting the progressive revelations and then unfolding instantly to full size for the finale.
fizbin
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of fizbin
I have a fold that I use that progressively unfolds to show the predictions, and then at the end the paper is folded in half and the "kicker" is printed there. When the paper is opened all the way, It is my letterhead with contact info, as well as a few easy tricks that they can do (21 card trick, etc). When I do walkaround, I use this as a giveaway for tabels that have been super appreciative of my show.
"All For Wonder..."
Earle M. Kelley
http://www.fizbinentertainment.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Shuffle Bored... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL