The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 1 Coin CSB (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Catbacker
View Profile
Regular user
Manhattan, KS
145 Posts

Profile of Catbacker
I was fooling around with my CSB set and my [s and had an idea. Does anyone make a 1 coin CSB set? A heads [ that fits over the CSB gaff? Are there routines out there that use something like this?

The routine I was thinking of consisted of something like this:

One half dollar becomes two half dollars. Then one of the half dollars changes into a copper and brass coin, then back into a half dollar, then back into a copper and brass coin in the other hand. Then back into a single half dollar. A switch to ditch the gaff, and then hand out the half for examination.

What do you guys think?

Scott
"Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong." Dennis Miller
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Michael Skinner suggested this, I think, in his lecture notes and perhaps elsewhere. He did not use the gaff to produce the coins as you've described. Rather, he used the set to perform the familiar transposition squences, then the coins all vanished at the end.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Scott, what you are describing is an extension to the multiplying money trick in Hoffmann's More Magic. Nice to see an old premise updated to use a modern gaff. Good going!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Catbacker
View Profile
Regular user
Manhattan, KS
145 Posts

Profile of Catbacker
Thanks guys! I figured that someone had done something similar. Assembled it only looks so-so with my Johnson [. I'm sure Todd Lassen or Roy Kuepper could make me something that looked much better. With two sets, you could probably come up with some pretty wild routines.

The patter I was considering was something along the lines of inflation and the devaluation of the dollar against foreign currency. Wow!!! That sounds boring just typing it. Just what every audience wants, an economics lesson. Back to the drawing board....

Scott
Tiki
View Profile
Loyal user
Northwest Arkansas, USA
247 Posts

Profile of Tiki
Scott-

I laughed at your candid assessment of the inflation/deflation patter. I find myself crafting (then immediately abandoning) contrived patter all the time and am happy to have company.

On another note, check out John Bannon's book, Smoke and Mirrors for a great CSB routine. He has a very slick 2 for 1 transposition that is very visual and very clean.

Cheers,

Tiki
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Curtis, what you descibed as Michael Skinner doing...the routine belongs to Connie Hayden.

Mike
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Mike that sounds right. But wasn't this published under Michael's name somewhere--Richard's Almanac perhaps? I recall a Kaufmanesque illustration of the fingerpalm vanish.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Curtis, Definetly not in the Almanac...perhaps in the Genii issue dedicated to Michael?

Mike
Dr. Faust
View Profile
Regular user
Louisville, Kentucky
183 Posts

Profile of Dr. Faust
Scott,

I really like the routine you described in your initial post. However, I don't know of anyone who makes a Kennedy Half-Dollar [ for the CSB gaff. I'll definitely start looking more now. If anyone finds anything, let me know. I'd love to have one.

Thanks,

Dr. Faust
"I have such sights to show you!"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Dr. Faust,

All you need is an expanded ] to fit over the CSB gimmick. You can get this in numerous places.

Dan
Click to visit:
Catbacker
View Profile
Regular user
Manhattan, KS
145 Posts

Profile of Catbacker
Thanks everyone!

Tiki: I'll check out Bannon's book. Thanks for the heads up. I really enjoy thinking of new plot lines for my routines. Unfortunately, they are sometimes as good as I would like. I'm working on a new script for my act now that I'm thinking of posting.

Dr. Faust: My Johnson [ fits OK with the CSB gaff, but just doesn't look as good as I would like. Assembled, the milled edge looks kind of funky.

Catch you all later.

Scott
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4840 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Hi Scott,
If you want Killer fit You mite Try Todd Lasson! He is The best!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
http://www.coinjurer.com
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » 1 Coin CSB (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL