The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » 'Splicing' Rope (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Hey there. I purchased 100 feet of rope for escapes, and didn't notice until just now that it came with this "free spicing tool". I searched and found this: "Splice - To permanently join two ropes by tucking their strands alternately over and under each other."

I'm just confused as to how you would go about using it...it's a red tube with some little parts sticking up on the inside...narrower at one end. The rope is 1/4" hollow braid.

Thanks!

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3392 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
What you have is a "splicing fid"! The fid is used to make an eye splice (permanent loop) in the end of the rope. These fids are usually supplied with all hollow rope.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Daniel Santos
View Profile
Special user
562 Posts

Profile of Daniel Santos
Thanks Mr. Stanyon! I appreciate the information. I'm going to search that right now to see if I can find some instructions online.

Thanks again!

Found a site:

http://www.lehighgroup.com/ropesplice.htm

Uses the EXACT same rope and splicing tool that I have Smile

Thanks once again,

Daniel
If it is to be, it is up to me.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2005-02-24 22:46, Stanyon wrote:
What you have is a "splicing fid"! The fid is used to make an eye splice (permanent loop) in the end of the rope. These fids are usually supplied with all hollow rope.

Interesting how language changes. I learned about knots and splices mainly from my father's Sea Scout manual. The book described a marlinspike as a tapered cylindrical metal tool, usually about 10" long, used to separate the strands of a rope for splicing; a fid was a wooden tool similar to a marlinspike, but longer - about 14" - and bigger in diameter. In any case, it was not something that went over the end of the rope, it was simply a tool used to separate the strands so that the other strands could be woven in to form the splice. You would use iether of these tools to make an eye splice (loop at the end of the rope), a short splice (to join two ropes), a long splice (to join two ropes, but with the advantage that the diameter isn't increased significantly, allowing the rope to pass through a block), and a back splice (used to keep the end of a rope from unraveling).

Interesting.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » 'Splicing' Rope (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL