The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Forget what you know... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
I saw David Roth at the Tannens lecture last night. He was amazing, as expected.

He gave a bit of advice that deserves passing on to all at the Café (he actually gave a TON of great advice that deserves passing on, but it is his advice, and not mine to pass on, so I will share just this small bit o' wisdom which he imparted):

“FORGET WHAT YOU KNOW.”

To paraphrase what he meant: magicians forget that layperson spectators don’t bring a host of magic knowledge to the table. As a result, we are always looking for more and more baroque ways of doing the simplest things. There is an awful lot of stuff spectators simply don’t see, don’t care about, etc, that we do. The point is to try and build routines from a spectator’s perspective, and to stop worrying whether a magician would guess where we were hiding a certain coin. Don’t routine and practice for magicians, do it with an eye towards what a spectator would see/hear/experience.

Sage advice from the master.
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
Aubrey_T
View Profile
Regular user
Paso Robles
175 Posts

Profile of Aubrey_T
Building routines from the spectator's point of view. That line alone is beautiful. It's so hard to stop knowing what's going on "behind the curtains". The simplest method is often the best and often the oldest. It seems nowadays that people have seen a lot of magic...often bad magic. With simple yet inspired routines that don't neccesarily use this knucklebusting stuff you seem to usually get the best responses. Thank you so much for that quote from David and for just reminding me individually.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8694 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks for the reminder.

KISS, and less is sometimes more.

Of course I must admit I did put in way too much work to do a muscle pass with a nickle. (It scares small animals and makes magicians smile)

Harris "Palms of Aluminum Foil" Deutsch
For the lighter touch in Coin Magic
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27097 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
David is a great source of good advice.

Did he tell you where that expression comes from?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cloneman
View Profile
Elite user
475 Posts

Profile of cloneman
Not that I recall. He did have a few war stories about Vernon. Was it The Professor?
"Anything is possible... if you don't know what you are talking about."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Forget what you know... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL